Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Subsistence Sheep

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default Subsistence Sheep

    Hey gang, I'm a hunter/gatherer here in rural alaska and just joined the forum. Don't know how to post pics yet but I will get er figured out. Looking forward to sharing. Wow this forum loves it's white sheep! Lots of good hunters around here! Tons of August September sheep posted in here but I can't find any of those big puffy and prime furred winter rams? Anybody have pictures of their winter subsistence sheep hunts? Have any of you guys who hunt up high in the mountains on foot ever consider a winter hunt? If you haven't you might giver a go sometime.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,635

    Default

    Welcome to the AOD!

    Indeed, do post pix, and with the winter rains icing the Sheep outta feed, few of us will get to Hunt Sheep at all this Season. Post pix, storys and your honest opinion and you will enjoy this place alot .

    Where are you and your Hunting unit?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Troll mountains.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Troll mountains.
    Ewe's familiar with em?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Thanks for the welcome strangerinastrangeland. I'm looking forward to seeing how other folks do there hunting. It's easy to get caught up in our own ways and sometimes we may forget others do things differently. Lots of cool pictures here though that's for sure.

    Troll mountains? I wish there were trolls here as there might be a harvestable surplus that we could use for meat. Or maybe bears would eat them instead of our moose calfs. In all seriousness though Sorry for offending you stid2677. I Wasn't trying to rub it in anyone's faces because of the current Subsistence closure this year. I'm sorry if you and your family are missing a chance at meat...I was not trying pour salt in the wound on my first post! My family is missing out on our winter meat hunt too and it sucks! Have you ever seen a winter harvest ram Stid2677? They are a beautiful creature and even better eating. Winter sheep hunting is an adventure and if anybody has pictures from the past I hope they share. If you are a real white sheep killer like your picture shows you would most likely appreciate them. Cheers stid6277. Nice to meet you.

  6. #6
    Member JuliW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Calves, not calfs...

    Just sayin'
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

  7. #7
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephous View Post
    Thanks for the welcome strangerinastrangeland. I'm looking forward to seeing how other folks do there hunting. It's easy to get caught up in our own ways and sometimes we may forget others do things differently. Lots of cool pictures here though that's for sure.
    How about your pics, Bull? Show us some winter sheep. Not too many on this forum live where they have access to sheep on a registration permit. I'm quessing your in NW alaska and have hunted in or near the Noatak R. system.
    Show us your stuff!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default

    All my subsistence sheep hunting photos are from the golden olden days and are 35mm marten trapper. I love looking at them and reliving the glory days and would happily have a show and tell if you are ever in my neck of the woods. I Got decades worth of curly ram horns out in the shed, mine and dads, and id be happy to share too. And a good story for each one! From the looks of things this isn't really a subsistence friendly forum is it? Haven't had many responses of people willing to share except a couple rude comments and private messages from folks. Normally I wouldn't be shy about sharing where I live but with some of these folks responses I'll hold off. Using the search function I was able to see why some responded to my post like jerks. If you you could only see the pile of ram horns in my shed stid, holy moly. maybe I could teach you a thing or two about sheep if don't already know it already! Don't think you've learned it all in such a short time son, there's fellas around this state older than you who've been killing sheep their entire lives.

  9. #9
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephous View Post
    All my subsistence sheep hunting photos are from the golden olden days and are 35mm marten trapper. I love looking at them and reliving the glory days and would happily have a show and tell if you are ever in my neck of the woods. I Got decades worth of curly ram horns out in the shed, mine and dads, and id be happy to share too. And a good story for each one! From the looks of things this isn't really a subsistence friendly forum is it? Haven't had many responses of people willing to share except a couple rude comments and private messages from folks. Normally I wouldn't be shy about sharing where I live but with some of these folks responses I'll hold off. Using the search function I was able to see why some responded to my post like jerks. If you you could only see the pile of ram horns in my shed stid, holy moly. maybe I could teach you a thing or two about sheep if don't already know it already! Don't think you've learned it all in such a short time son, there's fellas around this state older than you who've been killing sheep their entire lives.
    Sir,, if you are indeed a real person and not someone attempting to cause drama. I would be honored to learn from both you and your father. I respect all hunters and legal means of harvest. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing about some of your hunts. I have shared my sheep hunts with my wife and son and I'm eager to hear of hunts you have shared with your family. Photos are always nice, but the written words will suffice.

    I stopped and shared sheep hunting stories with a elderly subsistence sheep hunter this fall along the haul road. All sheep hunters share a bond no matter the means and methods they use to harvest, we all have a love of sheep and the paces they call home.

    I have seen the thick winter fur they grow during winter and it is impressive indeed.

    May you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving with plenty of food for all.

    Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 11-27-2014 at 16:01.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  10. #10
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    I hunted the subsistence winter sheep hunt in 23 for a few years and got a couple rams out of the Noatak drainages. Long rides on a snowmachine but was always a fun hunt. they finally closed the Noatak hunt down due to low sheep numbers in the western part of 23 I believe it's still open in the far eastern portion of the district (schwatka mountains).

  11. #11
    Supporting Member bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mean streets of Fairview
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephous View Post
    All my subsistence sheep hunting photos are from the golden olden days and are 35mm marten trapper. I love looking at them and reliving the glory days and would happily have a show and tell if you are ever in my neck of the woods. I Got decades worth of curly ram horns out in the shed, mine and dads, and id be happy to share too. And a good story for each one! From the looks of things this isn't really a subsistence friendly forum is it? Haven't had many responses of people willing to share except a couple rude comments and private messages from folks. Normally I wouldn't be shy about sharing where I live but with some of these folks responses I'll hold off. Using the search function I was able to see why some responded to my post like jerks. If you you could only see the pile of ram horns in my shed stid, holy moly. maybe I could teach you a thing or two about sheep if don't already know it already! Don't think you've learned it all in such a short time son, there's fellas around this state older than you who've been killing sheep their entire lives.
    Welcome!
    Oh these guys aren't that bad. They just like to poke sticks at stuff to see if it moves.

    Not many guys here ever get the chance to subsistence hunt, especially sheep. Can't share what we can't hunt.

    We would love to see some of your sheep You can take a digital picture of some of your old pictures. You could take a picture of your shed. We would love that!
    Pick a set of horns and take a picture. Then tell us the story. We love hunting stories. }:> 3:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

  12. #12
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Welcome!
    Oh these guys aren't that bad. They just like to poke sticks at stuff to see if it moves.

    Not many guys here ever get the chance to subsistence hunt, especially sheep. Can't share what we can't hunt.

    We would love to see some of your sheep You can take a digital picture of some of your old pictures. You could take a picture of your shed. We would love that!
    Pick a set of horns and take a picture. Then tell us the story. We love hunting stories. }:> 3:>
    What he said!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Now here's a great write up! Not me but this gentlemen and I have a few things in common. I remember this fella and these rams, a couple of beautiful spring sheep indeed! I also remember the good ol days of 4 sheep per year....3 on the subsistence tag and one on the sport tag. We ate sheep year round for decades. All we have now are the memories, heads and hides, and maybe some residual muscle from ingesting their protein all those years. Maybe after they shut it down for a few years and let the sheep fatten up, fish and feathers will turn the subsistence hunt back on or maybe even make it a tier 2 draw. Check out this link to a great write up.

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Count...ard/532593.uts

  14. #14
    Member Trapak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    283

    Default

    That was a good read, Bullcephous! Glad there are still remote places like this, where you can live a traditional, subsistence lifestyle.

  15. #15
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    indeed thanks for the link, good read!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •