Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW do you shoot at a shooting range.........???

Default HOW do you shoot at a shooting range.........???

When you go to a shooting range.......You arrive, then what do you do.....???

Part "B" is there any relevance of shooting at a shooting range to shooting at an animal......???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    ...Find a suitable parking place.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I use a bench to get a rifle roughly zeroed, do a final zero prone over a pack and after that it's field positions only.

Gotta practice like you shoot in the field- I hunt mostly wide open mountains and tundra so I practice a lot of prone and sitting.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

We use a drum, the frozen river and an old school desk or the snogo's seat. Paces or measured with dental floss (300 ft per roll) we set drums up faceing us and pin targets or put them atop.

Your welcome anytime, the "range " will open in Feb, when the light comes back and guys sight in for cold weather hunting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

It's getting harder and harder to find someone to hold the target still.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I said that I was SORRY, and I told you that I always drink Tequila before holding targets. Now about my fingers....you said you would cover the doctor....

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    It's getting harder and harder to find someone to hold the target still.

Well. AFTER I find a suitable parking space...

I look for the guy carrying the loaded handgun on his hip and get as far away as I can from him. THEN I look for the guy with the AR15 who is shooting as fast as he can, but not really producing tight groups...just sort of spraying the general vicinity of the target..and I get as far away as I can from him. THEN I look for the guy who is shooting his Glock 19, but he is holding it SIDEWAYS but well above his line of sight and angled downward...and get as far away as I can from him...THEN I look for the guy who is handling stuff on the shooting bench during the cease fire...and I get as far away as I can from him...THEN I look for the couple of guys who are talking about how we should all own AR15's so we can fight off the US Army when the government comes to take away our guns...and I get as far away as I can from them. THEN...I go back to my suitable parking space and drive out to our cabin property and shoot on our own land.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...Find a suitable parking place.
    Chuckling. Comedic gold.

Part "B" is there any relevance of shooting at a shooting range to shooting at an animal......???
    I've only attended on civilian shooting range that was an official range. That was this summer. I bought an AR and added some flip up iron sights. I wanted to zero it in. I also worked on my concealed carry draw and pop. Decided I needed to quit carrying or work on my sub compact shooting.

But when I shoot I make sure I know what I am doing. Usually I'm just zeroing a new scope or making sure I have a zero before I go hunting. Bullets are to stinking expensive to just shoot for fun, though I'm currently wanting to actually make shooting a hobby.

I like to shoot in my hunting positions. I do a few kneeling, standing, sitting, and prone. I'd really like to get into tight group shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post

I look for the guy carrying the loaded handgun on his hip and get as far away as I can from him. THEN I look for the guy with the AR15 who is shooting as fast as he can, but not really producing tight groups...just sort of spraying the general vicinity of the target..and I get as far away as I can from him. THEN I look for the guy who is shooting his Glock 19, but he is holding it SIDEWAYS but well above his line of sight and angled downward...and get as far away as I can from him...THEN I look for the guy who is handling stuff on the shooting bench during the cease fire...and I get as far away as I can from him...THEN I look for the couple of guys who are talking about how we should all own AR15's so we can fight off the US Army when the government comes to take away our guns...and I get as far away as I can from them. THEN...I go back to my suitable parking space and drive out to our cabin property and shoot on our own land.
    LOL.... and that's why I shoot in a deserted gravel pit on a Wed. morning!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Whew! After all that I'm not sure a serious answer will do, but here goes!

My primary objective at the rifle range is to make sure THE RIFLE shoots straight. So I do everything I can to remove the human factor; I use premium factory ammunition from the same lot number as that which I will shoot in the field. I shoot out of a fouled bore, I wait ten minutes between shots, and I touch nothing forward of the trigger. Shooting ammunition out of the same lot number gets me as close as I can get with factory ammo, to being consistent from one round to another. I don't reload, so this is the best I can do. Shooting out of a fouled bore ensures that my first shot will go where the last one did, rather than being influenced by oil in the barrel. Ten minutes between shots ensures that I shoot out of a cold barrel, which is what I will be doing on my first shot at a critter. Touching nothing forward of the trigger ensures that the barrel can whip like it's supposed to, and prevents my own inconsistencies that might influence the point of impact. I don't keep rounds in the magazine at the range. Perhaps I am concerned that the bullet points might be slightly deformed from recoil, or that the rounds might act as a heat-sink, and be slightly warm when I fire my next shot. Whatever, I just load one round at a time, and I don't put one in until I am ready to actually shoot.

For all of that to work, it's probably best to use a vise, but I never have done that. It would be best though.

One more thing I thought up on my own, as a product of my own laziness: I keep a target with me at the bench. As soon as a round is fired, I open the breech to let the barrel start cooling, then I look downrange through the spotting scope and mark my impacts on the target at the bench, rather than walking downrange. And I usually sight in dead-on at 200 yards. Nowadays I shoot open sights AND a scope (quick-disconnect mounts) on my .375. I don't think I would hunt anywhere up here without iron sights and a scope on the same rifle. I know a guy who hunted this fall and had a scope failure. No iron sights. Think about that. Anyway I shoot both at the range.

The secondary objective is to make sure THE SHOOTER is shooting straight. Once I know there is no problem with the rifle, then I can play around with offhand shooting (which I rarely do in field conditions), prone, kneeling, using a post for a rest, etc. Any defects in my shooting at that point have to be my fault, as I have already verified that the weapon is shooting properly.

I learned most of this at the ripe old age of 19, on my first trip to the range with my first hunting rifle, a Ruger M77 7mm Rem. Mag. I bought from a friend. I knew very little about big-game hunting, and an old range master came over with some advice when he saw me fiddling around on the firing line. He started the conversation by saying, "You probably know more about this than I do, but..." His humble attitude, combined with his hard-earned wisdom really made an impression on me, and I've been shooting that way ever since. I've also passed it on to many other hunters. I credit those shooting habits for whatever success I've had in the field with one-shot kills. Except for bears. I like what Joe Want said about that: "There's no such thing as a one-shot kill when it comes to bears.", in reference to taking at least one "insurance shot" after the animal is down.

Regrettably, it doesn't go without saying these days, that safety is the number-one priority at the range. I wear eye protection and hearing protection, and I don't go near the bench while people are downrange. Not until the range master announces the "all clear". Because of the space between shots, that means I sometimes only get one shot between the sessions when people walk down range. Oh well.

To answer your last question, I think it depends on the mind-set of the shooter. Of course the rifle range takes the guess-work out of estimating yardage (I think yardage estimation is but one of our eroding skills, thanks to our new electronic gadgets), but other than that I think it can be extremely helpful. For me, knowing that the rifle is totally dialed in is a huge confidence-builder, which has huge relevance in the field. I can't even imagine going to all the trouble to plan a hunt, and then be simply hoping that the rifle is "on". I don't get "buck fever" anymore, and I always take my time when it comes to shooting an animal. If everything is not right, I don't shoot. Consequently I have let a lot of animals walk away. So that part is not relevant to me. I think it is for many though, and you can't replicate that at the rifle range.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's what came to mind anyway. Maybe it will help someone out there. If so, don't give me the credit. Give it to the old man who was range master at the Izaak Walton rifle range near Creswell, Oregon in 1977. He's the MAN! Thanks to him, I made a one-shot kill on my first mule deer that fall.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default HOW do you shoot at a shooting range.........???

When I park I look and see who is shooting and watch for a while and decide if I want to shoot by the people there,if not I leave.If the range is looking good I get my lead sled and put it on the bench with my hearing protection then go back to trk open tail gate and open up my gun case or cases if I have more then one with me then I get all my ammo in order and wait for CLEAR and go set up my targets then the rest is history.
    Sometimes if I don't shoot I vist and talk bs with the people there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It NEVER fails, you can FIND any OF AGL's posts by the RANDOMLY capitalized WORDS in the subject LINE.

When I GO to THE shooting range, I USUALLY check out THEIR rules (if IT is a NEW range I haven't BEEN to before or HAVEN'T been to in A while) and follow THEM. I use THE range to ENSURE the gun IS firing correctly AND accurately and TO practice MY shooting CORRECTLY. It translates TO the field FOR me because I THEN have confidence THAT my GUN will perform AS expected when I NEED it to and I can FOCUS on other VARIABLES.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It NEVER fails, you can FIND any OF AGL's posts by the RANDOMLY capitalized WORDS in the subject LINE.
    I really would like to know why he does that, but I'm afraid to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post

When I GO to THE shooting range, I USUALLY check out THEIR rules (if IT is a NEW range I haven't BEEN to before or HAVEN'T been to in A while) and follow THEM. I use THE range to ENSURE the gun IS firing correctly AND accurately and TO practice MY shooting CORRECTLY. It translates TO the field FOR me because I THEN have confidence THAT my GUN will perform AS expected when I NEED it to and I can FOCUS on other VARIABLES.
    I totally read this with an emphasis on each CAPPED word.

I really would like to know why he does that, but I'm afraid to ask him.
    I'll ask

AGL4Now,

Curious question...Why do you always place random CAP words in your subject LINES?

Doesn't really matter why, just curious. I can always tell which threads you started.

That was pretty funny. I am lucky as I can just shoot on my property. Got 100 yds literally out the door, and I can get a couple hundred over by the old homestead cabin.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Instant classic.

I avoid gun ranges for the same reasons as above, and opt instead to shoot at a few places that friends have on their land.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

If you buy and EPM membership at Birchwood you skip the Joe Public yahoos that show up after the gate opens. 9 trips and you are shooting for free.

If I was talking to you face to face, you would notice a slight inflection on some of the words spoken. You would notice they might be slightly louder or there may have been a slight pause either before or after the word to bring your attention to that word. Start to notice when other people are speaking.

I can't do that on the internet, without making that word all caps or bold.

Example: "Get the HELL off MY property and stay the HELL OFF. Am I being CLEAR, do you UNDERSTAND......???

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    AGL4Now,

Curious question...Why do you always place random CAP words in your subject LINES?

Doesn't really matter why, just curious. I can always tell which threads you started.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast