Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of wing covers do you prefer?

Default What kind of wing covers do you prefer?

I have a Cessna 170A. I'm new to flying. My wing and cowling covers are shot. Locally, I see a set of 4 yr old unused polyester covers for sale and a set of used kennon mesh covers with spoilers. I see kennon recommends against mesh if freeze thaw is a big issue. Right now its in willow, but hopefully soon, I'll get it to Wasilla if location sways your opinion. Thanks

mesh/spoilers for sure

I've used both and while the mesh covers have their advantages, I've had them freeze so hard to the wing that I had to put it in a hanger overnight to get them, and the ice, off. Never had that happen with the polyester covers.

Here is Homer we get rain, ice , and snow with sea winds. So the mesh covers freeze to your wings.
    But a place with dry snow and cold wind just begs for spoilers and mesh.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have saw nylon covers damage more than one aircraft. One was Cessna ailerons bent up about 90 deg.
    Only once had mesh freeze down hard enough couldn't break them free. Small price to pay IMO

different strokes 4 different folks.

I have had the Alaska Wing covers with the vent slot the length of the wing. Really like them. Easy hook connections and perform well in the occasional windy conditions. Slots do, on occasion, ice down but very minimal, otherwise they have perform well for over 6 years.

Well fitted solid nylon, no spoilers. Mine do fine up to about 35mph winds and after that there's no reason to leave covers on. When I leave town and can't babysit the plane I'll put my mesh w/ spoiler Kennons over the solids. That keeps everything snug in all but newsworthy wind storms. That's the only time I use mesh. Even after a thaw if solids freeze on I can peel them off and go fly.

I have the nylon with vent strip and spoilers. I would highly recommend Linda at Alaska Wing Covers.

Truth is I prefer no wing covers and wish I never had to use them again. Not that I don't like winter and ski flying, I just don't like dealing with wing covers. Like today, when I have to go remove them so they dry out after yesterday's rain.

60x60 metal frame building.

Owning a Pitts in Alaska is like owning a Corvette up here. To the right people it's cool, but to most of us it's meh..whatever.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Owning a Pitts in Alaska is like owning a Corvette up here. To the right people it's cool, but to most of us it's meh..whatever.
    Owned and drove Corvettes in Alaska from 1976 through 1986. Stick shift, studded snow tires, and four 50-lb bags of sand behind the front seats, they were the best winter car one could drive. Because the cars were small, the heater and defrosters became warm almost as soon as the engine started. I don't know if one could consider them "cool", but they certainly were sensible . . . Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Owned and drove Corvettes in Alaska from 1976 through 1986. Stick shift, studded snow tires, and four 50-lb bags of sand behind the front seats, they were the best winter car one could drive. Because the cars were small, the heater and defrosters became warm almost as soon as the engine started. I don't know if one could consider them "cool", but they certainly were sensible . . . Think about it.
    . The potholes up here would destroy a Corvette in nothing flat....

[QUOTE=pipercub;1440386]. The potholes up here would destroy a Corvette in nothing flat....[/QUOTE

Well, they didn't. And the last 'Vette I had, a 1981 model, black on black, was the car I drove for 22-years. And it was still cherry when I sold it in 2003 for $14,000, though I admit that I had finally replaced the black leather seats. I had paid $9,700 for it at Alaska Sales & Service. I'd certainly own another in Alaska.

Went ahead and deleted this because …….well…….uh……just because…...

Because neither a Pitts or Corvette have anything to do with bush flying?

Basically-
    but more so - contributing to a "wing cover" thread thats evolved to such

"Insanity is knowing that what you're doing is completely idiotic, but still, somehow, you just can't stop it."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post

You all have my sincere apologies. I certainly know better . . . . . Sorry !

Well fitted solid nylon, no spoilers. Mine do fine up to about 35mph winds and after that there's no reason to leave covers on. When I leave town and can't babysit the plane I'll put my mesh w/ spoiler Kennons over the solids. That keeps everything snug in all but newsworthy wind storms. That's the only time I use mesh. Even after a thaw if solids freeze on I can peel them off and go fly.
    Good idea putting mesh over solid covers...I use the spoilers/mesh when I'm out and about and the wind kicks up...I prefer the solids when I have to use covers....

I see other bush planes flying around me does that count? I also taxi and land in the midst of bush planes. My dad has a bush plane we fly from time to time, its pretty fun. Slower stall speed, flaps and bigger tires to land on dirt.

Honestly though if people dont want me here I will stop posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast