Thread: Eskimo Stingray 33cc

Default Eskimo Stingray 33cc

I'm thinking about picking up one of these for under $300. All the reviews online seem good with a few people stating their under powered. I've been to Cabelas and Sportsmans. They keep trying to sell me the Jiffy and Strikmasters saying that the Eskimo is under powered, however the Jiffy and Strikmaster models are the same cc or a 35cc. I doubt 3cc will make much different.

For someone that goes out a few times a year would this be a good choice?
    Anyone out there using this?

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I'm thinking about picking up one of these for under $300. All the reviews online seem good with a few people stating their under powered. I've been to Cabelas and Sportsmans. They keep trying to sell me the Jiffy and Strikmasters saying that the Eskimo is under powered, however the Jiffy and Strikmaster models are the same cc or a 35cc. I doubt 3cc will make much different.

For someone that goes out a few times a year would this be a good choice?
    Anyone out there using this?
    I own a Strikemaster and the Eskimo Stingray 33cc. I love them both for their reliability and light weight. A friend is currently using the Strikemaster, so most of my hole drilling has been with the Stingray. I always drill multiples holes a day (5-20) and I've never had an issue with lack of horsepower. I icefish 50+ days a year so the Stingray gets plenty of use in deep ice every year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Looks like you confirmed what I was thinking

I've used a couple different stingrays and never had an issue with them. They do seem a touch underpowered but what difference does it make if it takes 1 minute to drill a hole or 3 minutes. You're still going to be fishing pretty darn soon. I went with the Mako when I bought mine, not for the power but because I wanted a ten inch hole. It's been great too, starts second pull on the coldest days and runs great.

Yes the Stingray will drill a bit slower but who really cares?
    If you stick with an 8" bit you will be fine.
    Yes my Eskimo is slower than my Jiffy by a little bit but do the fish really care?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I was going to pick one up tomorrow. However looks like Sportmans will have the 10" Mako on sale for $10 more on Black Friday.

Picked up one of the Mako at sportsman, now stuck at work can't wait to try it out, had to retire the strikemaster, just was not drilling like it used to.

Check out these augers. This would be cool to try up here.

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    Picked up one of the Mako at sportsman, now stuck at work can't wait to try it out, had to retire the strikemaster, just was not drilling like it used to.
    I ended up getting one as well. It was on $10 more than the stingray on Black Friday. Took it out twice and it did a great job no complaints

people are worried about speed... the single biggest factor I have found is good sharp blades... seriously!

Tom

4 things on AUGERS # 1 sharp blade # 2 easy to start # 3 durability # 4 get parts so if it breaks you can get it fixed fast , they all work

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    4 things on AUGERS # 1 sharp blade # 2 easy to start # 3 durability # 4 get parts so if it breaks you can get it fixed fast , they all work
    ditto! But that is too short of a reply!
    Tim

My eskimo has been good except the clutch spring broke after only ~60 holes. Did not leave me without the ability to drill holes with the broken spring, but not safe because the auger was engaged even at idle! The clutch spring was readily available to order on-line, and easy to replace myself, but a bit annoying to have it happen after only ~60 holes.

Despite the broken clutch spring, I'd buy Eskimo again.

you did not say what length of time on the 60 holes ???? I have a Eskimo that is over 20 years old , an I have drilled about 60 holes
    some in the dirt [ made it a post hole digger ] a sharpend the blade an ready to go again, 3 hp an a 10 inch bit still going strong ,
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    you did not say what length of time on the 60 holes ???? I have a Eskimo that is over 20 years old , an I have drilled about 60 holes
    some in the dirt [ made it a post hole digger ] a sharpend the blade an ready to go again, 3 hp an a 10 inch bit still going strong ,
    SID
    60 holes = Near the end of first season of use.

I just bought a Nils 6" hand auger and in three trips have drilled about 50 holes, still starts every time!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/