Thread: meat processor

Unhappy meat processor

any comments on Mike's Meat in Eagle River? I had a problem and they did not work it out with me.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mocalaska View Post
    any comments on Mike's Meat in Eagle River? I had a problem and they did not work it out with me.
    Welcome to the club! I go there all the time for their retail stuff, but no way in heck I'd take wild game there again.

I took an animal there once and was happy with the product but was lied to on a couple of the services. I now go back to Pioneer Meats in the valley.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

interesting. I was thinking about using them if I went on a caribou hunt. Or to have some sausage made with a little bit of my moose.
    I think I will do some research (further research I should say).

I've had OK service there. Had an issue with one product but it was personal and have chosen to go elsewhere. They do have good over the counter products though
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I've never taken meat anywhere else but Glenn's wild game. But I tasted some jalapeņo cheddar dogs made from Pioneer meats the other day and wow. They were good. Heard too much bad stuff about the Eagle River shop to ever try it. Love the retail stuff though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I drop off 300#'s plus with Mikes every year and have no complaints. One time I thought I was a little shy on weight coming back on some brawts but realized I read the scale wrong but Greg was on top of it and was willing to make it right before we figured out MY mistake. I think he runs a great family run shop. We enjoy his bacon and brawts big time! In fact I think I just figured out what we are having tonight for dinner...

I took in whole rib cage in one piece only got back 5 small packages of ribs, breakfast sausage has no seasoning in it. many problems and owners says come back after Christmas!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mocalaska View Post
    I took in whole rib cage in one piece only got back 5 small packages of ribs, breakfast sausage has no seasoning in it. many problems and owners says come back after Christmas!
    Not surprising.

I used them once for a moose in the 90's... Never again...
    My Mat Valley cheesy 'bou dogs had blue and clear plastic pieces from an ink pen in about, oooooh, 30# worth of packages. They wouldn't budge on correcting it.
    I've been using Pioneer out at Pitmann for many yrs. Been going great. Had my first "issue" with her this year. Kind of a bummer actually. Misinformation on her workers part and waaaaaay overcharged me. They too wouldn't budge..
    No worries... It's ok though, the wife and I finally said sc**w it, and our butchering and processing equipment is currently growing very rapidly..

Charterboat Operator

for those of us in Anchorage, a little hidden secret, C & J meats on international does process game meat. small family run shop, they only do one animal at a time, so you will always get YOUR meat back! though they do not do all the sausages/processed meats, for cutting steaks & roasts doing burger, itialian and the best breakfast sausage that i have ever had made, they do a fantastic job.

I have two co-workers that took caribou to Mike's this year, and both were told this is the last year that Mike will be processing game meat. Don't know how true it is, but they both have the same story. I used Glenn's last year and found him a lot cheaper than anyone else. I used Mat-Valley this year for my caribou, and I Can honestly say I won't be going back. Nice people, but the sausage has no seasoning what-so-ever, and the roast were not cut like I had requested. I have heard great things about Pioneer Meets from a few people here in the valley and will use them next animal I get.