Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittier tides and launching

Question Whittier tides and launching

How is the main launch at big minus tides? Saturday morning is -3.3ft. I've launched at -2 but never that low.

It's bad. I wouldn't.

Out of the 4 ramps too choose from there is only one that is usable at a minus tide. It doesn't allow much for dock space while parking the truck and anything less than a -1.5 or -2 and you may be off the ramp completely with the truck. Most people seems to wait out the tide or plan around it. I have been hoping that they will do some repair work during those minus tides but I haven't seen any thus far. Good Luck.

I did it on Wednesday and lets just say its bad. I got lucky and didn't damage anything but I was literally a half inch from taking out my tires with rebar. If you use the very far lauch on the right just be carefull and you might be alright. The left side of that lauch drops your trailer off and pins the tires between the ramp and a concrete slab that slid down...... If my trailer would have been two inches lower I would have high centered the tailer on the rear support and had to drag it off. As it was I had to get the boat off the trailer before I could lift the trailer out of the whole with the truck. Took me reving the motor in reverse with people pushing the boat to finally get it to slide off. A little bit of pucker factor.....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Small boat

How would it be at that low of a tide with a Zodiac on a trailer? I'm planning on going down Saturday morning too.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    How would it be at that low of a tide with a Zodiac on a trailer? I'm planning on going down Saturday morning too.
    Probably be fine just have someone standing back there looking in the water to stop you if are start getting close to danger.

Default Something needs to be done with that harbor . . .

You'd think with the most expensive saltwater launch fees in Southcentral that they would improve the goose that's laying their golden eggs . . .

Seward launch fees - $5
    Homer launch fees - $12
    Whittier launch fees - $20

And guess which one has the worst launch facilities?

May be time to organize a boycott until they fix the launches . . . like we could stay away from PWS long enough?

SH

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    You'd think with the most expensive saltwater launch fees in Southcentral that they would improve the goose that's laying their golden eggs . . .

Seward launch fees - $5
    Homer launch fees - $12
    Whittier launch fees - $20

And guess which one has the worst launch facilities?

May be time to organize a boycott until they fix the launches . . . like we could stay away from PWS long enough?

SH

Has anyone written a letter to the City Council or harbor master?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I've already had to get one tire fixed this year..... The launches need some serious help. Very frustrating.

I wrote a lengthy letter to the Harbor Master last year explaining what I saw as problems or inconveniences and I also offered some simple suggestions to make it better. I never got a response and haven't seen any changes so I took the opinion that we are just a nuisance to their little domain so I am dealing with sub par facilities along with everyone else.

Default but if you buy the season pass

like I do. It has paid for itself one and half times already. Tomorrow will be my third time launching for free, 9th trip of season and six trips pays for the pass. Not including how many more times I will be launching this summer and again in the fall for deer and more bear. Just wish it was good for homer too. Gotta be smart with your money now days. Or get someone to go along and pay for it for you.

I don't think boycotting would work. Seward and Homer are cheaper but look at the extra gas it takes to get there. We will go to Homer a few times for the halibut, that alone is worth the gas. But as far as summer long fun and bear hunting no way we can stay away for that long.

I don't mind paying the money for the season pass. I have one. I just hate having to watch my tires and pay for tire repairs and have to be cautious about the tides so not to hand the boat up.

I launch at the one by the harbor master. So far I have been lucky. What sucks is when you launch when it's crowded it takes time. Launch the boat and then park it, walk back to the boat. By this time boats tend to back up. You would think with $20 a launch they could at least attempt to fix it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    like I do. It has paid for itself one and half times already. Tomorrow will be my third time launching for free, 9th trip of season and six trips pays for the pass. Not including how many more times I will be launching this summer and again in the fall for deer and more bear. Just wish it was good for homer too. Gotta be smart with your money now days. Or get someone to go along and pay for it for you.

I don't think boycotting would work. Seward and Homer are cheaper but look at the extra gas it takes to get there. We will go to Homer a few times for the halibut, that alone is worth the gas. But as far as summer long fun and bear hunting no way we can stay away for that long.
    Not sure what you get for gas milage in your truck but by the time you pay $20 for the tunnel, $10 Parking and $20 launch it is more than a wash for me to go to Seward. I also bought a season launch because we like to spend the night out in a cove. What is a crime is the way they charge for everything and do nothing to improve the conditions of the ramps.

Whittier got at least 2 milllion dollars for improvements to the harbor/new harbor 2 years ag. What are the results? (lots of guys getting high all the time?) It's a shame that they have a captive crowd and don't have to work for their money.

Default Insufficient funds

Last December while waiting to get out deer hunting we spoke to the harbor master. The story we got was that the money had been appropriated, but Frank the bank took it away for another state project.

How much did the jet cost?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Email to Whittier City Manager

I just wrote the City Manager, Mark Earnest an email. Will let you know if he responds. His email address is: citymanager@ci.whittier.ak.us

The email follows below:

Dear Mr. Mark Earnest,

I am writing you in regards to the boat launches at the harbor. My wife and I always have a good time while in Whittier. We purchased a season boat launch pass each season. Our concern is the lack of upgrade and conditions of the launch ramps. During a minus tide it is almost impossible to launch our boat without incurring damage to our trailer from rod irons sticking up and blowing out tires or high centering the trailer. We would like to see our money put to use to upgrade the launches.

This is not just our concern, but a concern to many who use Whittier as the gateway to Prince William Sound. Please see for further comments:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=14523

If you would like additional comments of suggestions please contact me. I would hope this email would be responded too and that you and the City of Whittier would take my and other people who pay you to use your facility seriously.

Thomas Teseniar

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Send the city a bill for any damges done to your boats or trailers for THEIR NEGLECT of the boat ramp. I would think because they charge for the use of the ramp that the city would/should be responsible for keeping it safe for use. While i'm at it how about any of us who park their boats & trailers in the parking lot across the tracks go in and tell "BEN"( he's the guy driving around in a subaru) to fix the holes in the front of the yard when you drive in, you'd think for the arm & leg he charges to store trailers there he could invest in a few buckets of gravel to fix those holes, i'm tired of rolling my way thru that mess. I wonder what that lot could be like if somebody with some business & customer service training would run it ??? Good luck to all on getting anything done at the harbor, i think i've seen at least 10 different "harbor masters" go thru there in my years tieing up in the harbor.
    Maybe we could get the board of public utilities?? to look over the harbor fee's and bring them in line with those charged in the rest of the state ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default AKHighmark

I don't have a truck. So I don't pay for gas in the truck. I don't like seward, in my boat anyways. Fun if you are on a charter. So the only thing I pay for is the launch my gas. But I get 4 mile to the gallon so it is not too bad. I know the fees ad up but parking seems cheaper this year. Last year was $20 a day. Went out there for two, two night trips and parking was only $25, big difference from the $60 the year before. All I know is if you don't like it them complain to them like everybody to try to get it improved or go to seward. Will make the docks less crowded for the rest of us. Like they say, "If you gonna play you gonna pay."

Default City Manager Approach

The city council meets twice a month down there. I know one of the council members and it might be helpful if some of us were to show up under persons to be heard and let the mayor, council etc know how we all feel. Better than whining and waiting for them to actually do something that they have been promising for the last three years.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdad View Post
    The city council meets twice a month down there. I know one of the council members and it might be helpful if some of us were to show up under persons to be heard and let the mayor, council etc know how we all feel. Better than whining and waiting for them to actually do something that they have been promising for the last three years.
    Please let us know the time and date. The procedure to get on the list would help too.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast