Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On to the next one!

Default On to the next one!

I have sold my 25ft Northwest Aluminum craft after 8 years for basically what I paid for it. Stepping up to a 30fter with a 10,6" beam and 370 HP diesel. Wondering about the kicker? Will a 9.9 high thrust do or should a person step up to a 25 HT?

I run the 9.9 on my 24' Sea Sport. When it is kicking up and the tide is running I wish I had more thrust.

When the main goes down, there is never enough power. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I agree, a 25HP HT would be a good improvement for a kicker upgrade in a larger boat. At a minimum go for a 15HP HT.

Sobie2

I am curious what most responses will be on this. On our 27' Sea Sport we have a 9.9 which moves the boat along a bit over max hull speed. I am not sure what the LWL is on your boat but assuming 30' your max hull speed is still around 7 knts. Neither a 10, 15 or 25 would have enough to get your hull planing so it would seem the extra power would have very slight differences in speed in the "displacement" orientation of your hull if the 9.9 can get you near 7 kts. If you are a hydraulic engineer ignore my ignorance and post up the truth of the matter.

Edit post: If anyone has an equation that relates boat inertia/mass vs Vhull let me know, never to old to learn a new trick.

That's what I have been grappling with! If I put on a 25 HT is it going to really make much of a difference. It pushed my last boat @ about 5-6 kts. I see some of the big eaglecraft's still only use a 9.9 HT. Really looking forward to opinions on this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twilliams.907 View Post
    Edit post: If anyone has an equation that relates boat inertia/mass vs Vhull let me know, never to old to learn a new trick.
    I was surfing the web last night and came across the formula...

1.34 x the square root of LWL(length at waterline)

Assuming a roughly 28' LWL that gives you a theoretical Hull speed of 7.09 knots.

It isn't just speed but power.
    I have a 15 hp Merc Bigfoot on my 23' glass boat.
    The shop I bought mine from thought that was a good option. Their thoughts were concerning bucking the Cook Inlet tide in rough weather and whether a 9.9 would be enough to keep me at hull speed.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yeah where you use the boat & local conditions will dictate the practical sized motor. All the equations won't mean a thing when bucking a strong wind, waves & tide (if applicable) so goin bigger seems the logical choice. If I were going to pony up for a boat in that size range, the difference in cost in kickers isn't large enough to make me go small to save a few bucks and then it sucks later. you're going to get quite a bit more torque out of the 25 (like kasilofchrisn gets out of his 15). Point of a kicker is 2-fold; to get you out of trouble (and trouble doesn't always accommodate us on nice calm flat days close to the harbor) and to troll (salmon fishing).
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Yes..i.would say go bigger if you have to fight
    The wind/current on the way home.to acheive hull speed.

..being that is a bigger boat would the extra 100
    Or so lbs make that much of a dif with the 25 hp
    Hanging off the back?

Congrats on the.new boat saltchuckar!!!! :-)

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Just finishing our repower of a 24 Seasport. Going to put a 300 and a 9.9 Suzuki on. We wanted to put a bigger kicker on for redundancy and more power trolling. We went with 9.9 mainly because the length of the shaft. It is hard to get 20 with a long enough shaft to reach deep enough into the water. We put a swim step/motor mount on and the bigger size kicker types were too short. Just my take. I'll be posting pictures and a thread when the repower is done. Pretty excited. Should be finished 10-12 more days.

Mine is a 31' hull, and I have a Yamaha 9.9HT because that was the biggest high thrust motor that was available at the time. Mine is fine for trolling at 1-3 kts, and at trolling speed I think I have calculated I have something like 30 hours of fuel (9 gallon tank). Full throttle with the 9.9 is 4.5kts, although I expect the fuel will last less time at this speed. If I were to do it again today I would probably go a bit bigger, but what I have certainly works well, and is a great 'get home' option. I really like the way mine is set up with a hydraulic switch so that I can control either motor from either helm. The other thing to consider when going bigger is what the weight of the motor is. It may be close to the same if they are using the same block and just more displacement.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

What boat are you building? I take it you are talking about a Volvo Penta D6. That is the motor I have and I love it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Curious what the 9.9 kickers (or any for that matter) put out for charging the batteries? I'm assuming if you're trolling for hours on a small kicker you won't be running the main engine.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Curious what the 9.9 kickers (or any for that matter) put out for charging the batteries? I'm assuming if you're trolling for hours on a small kicker you won't be running the main engine.
    They have a similar output of a 2000 Watt genset, maybe even a tad more.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

[QUOTE=Big Jim;1439797]Curious what the 9.9 kickers (or any for that matter) put out for charging the batteries? I'm assuming if you're trolling for hours on a small kicker you won't be running the main engine.[/QUOTE
    If my memory is correct my 6 jp tohatsu gave me
    About 800-900 mills at low throttle, then up to
    4-5 amps full out!....should check my 9.9 ht yammy..prob
    1-1.5 amps trolling- to 5-6 amps pinned?

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I think the Yamaha 9.9HT I have is rated for 6A charging.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    What boat are you building? I take it you are talking about a Volvo Penta D6. That is the motor I have and I love it.
    I'm building new Northwest ( I have been e-mailing you pics). The 25 yami HT will need a 5" extension kit put on it weighs about 213lbs and will put out up to 13 amps. It will have a valve that can be switched so my auto pilot will steer it or my main.

I imagine the T25 would allow both electric and manual start? I have never HAD to but often time I make sure I can start the 9.9 without electric start (simulate dead batteries) by wrapping strap around the flywheel. I have it tied into the battery bank where over time it would charge them enough to start the 7.4. Brochure says the T25 is available in either manual or electric start, just not sure how hard it would be to manually start the es model.

DC out put of a electric start 9.9 Honda outboard is 12-Amp (148 watt) , the manual start version is 1/2 of the alternator output.
    DC out put of a Honda 2000 generator is 8-amps (96 watt)

Of course the Genset offers AC output, as its primary function, but if just charging DC batteries is the goal it seems as if the outboard has more output.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

My 9.9 has a manual start rope included in case all batteries are dead. Sounds like it would be the same with the 25HP model. Another advantage of the 25HP is the 13A alternator vs. the 6A on the 9.9HP.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast