Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else let their kids run with a firearm?

Default anyone else let their kids run with a firearm?

So I have a daughter that likes to take walks and things like that in the woods. Now she take the dogs but between the two a determined perp is going to defeat. So I let her sling a rifle she is comfortable, confident and effective with. Our rule is that is there is s person within 100 yards of her she unlslings it and is at the ready. She has several times just in the neighborhood have creeps try to give her rides or walk with her. And when shes on the wheelers she has a long gun also.. does this sound paranoid? My wife says im to paranoid...

i would say it depends alot on age. a 4 year old probably not, a responsible teen, probably so. my wife and i both have different outlooks on the world based on our previous experiences. i would rather error on the side of caution, than to have to live with regret for being "too trusting"
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Alaska is number one in sexual assault, moose/bear/wolf are all troublesome in parts of the Valley . . . I know of two family's who had a pretty young lady move to Anchorage to start their adult life only to have their life ended violently! Nope, don't think you are paranoid at all! As long as the young'un is capable and wise I think it's a great idea.

However . . . I have visions of "sure Dad I will" then soon as your out of sight everything changes, if her Mom thinks it's over the top then seems likely she is appeasing you and could get her own gun turned on her because she let someone too close thinking you are paranoid. Hard call but if there was much doubt that she would keep her distance and truly use the gun if it came to that she may be better off spray and/or a stungun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I don't know that it's being paranoid, but from the other perspective, I would be a little creeped out if every time I came within 100 yards of another person, they stood at the ready with a rifle.

The only issue I have is the 100 yds and at the ready.

Maybe a less threatening stance? or position?

Dad's gotta protect our little one though.

Another idea is to get her some bear spray. It's much lighter than a gun.

Well...........if for any reason she pointed the rifle at someone, they would be with-in their rights to spin-draw their weapon and fire rounds at her. I would hope she knows that. I would hope she always remembers it.

I am thinking about this issue with my wife who likes to do the same things as your daughter, shayno. She has had run ins out on the trail with people who were acting very suspiciously. I am starting to think that I will get her a stun gun because I think she will be more comfortable with it as far as using it on people. I still want her to carry the 44mag for bears and moose in the winter. How effective are the stun guns thru clothing? Winter clothing???

On a related topic, she likes the way the Taurus Tracker 44 mag fits her hand. My Ruger frames are too big for her to reach the hammer. Any suggestions for a 44 caliber revolver that has a frame size similar to a Taurus Tracker? I am not a huge fan of the fit and finish of the Taurus revolvers in general, at least for the money they are getting for them...

Around our house, no one leaves without some sort of firearm with them. There's not only the two legged issues, but there are plenty of four legged ones to boot. I would suggest that the 100 yards, be cut back to something a little more reasonable, say 20 yards! Having said that, we each need to know what our 'safe distance' is and work with that. While there may be a place for some of the sprays, we are more comfortable with a smal object, moving on the fast side!

I realize NO ONE else on planet earth respects the Taurus Judge but me. I just like the 3" .410 with 5 triple'ought Buck loads, with a nice hot .45 Long Colt in every other cylinder. And as a side joy I can just drop a few #4 loads in my pocket, for spruce chickens in the stew-pot.

Another option is the S&W-60 (Or Ladysmith). I keep one in my Kirfau E&E survival pack with 200 gr. hardcast COR-BON in the cylinder and a box of .357/38 shotshell loads for any eatable bird, mouse, red'back Vole, Robin, magpie.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Any suggestions for a 44 caliber revolver that has a frame size similar to a Taurus Tracker? I am not a huge fan of the fit and finish of the Taurus revolvers in general, at least for the money they are getting for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Another idea is to get her some bear spray. It's much lighter than a gun.
    That seems like sound advice to me. Totally effective against unwanted predators of any species, and if a mistake is made, it's not going to be a fatal one.

I like the bear spray idea and I am a fan of a Katana for the visual deterrence as well as the lethal effectiveness. I've watched the walking dead and no one messes with Mishonne.

I think you should listen to your wife.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I gotta say letting the kid roll with some bear spray sounds like a better idea with fewer negative consequences. Teens (I'm assuming teen) walking around with a rifle at the ready sounds like a way to have more problems rather than fewer. I understand wanting to protect the family so I'm not minimizing any risks but overreaction can be as bad as underreaction.

And yes, I think you're being a little paranoid unless you live in the absolute worst neighborhood in the State. In that case you might think harder about getting her a new zip code.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I don't know that it's being paranoid, but from the other perspective, I would be a little creeped out if every time I came within 100 yards of another person, they stood at the ready with a rifle.
    I understand your point of view, but there is no stranger (usually male) on this earth that has any business getting close enough to speak with a teenage girl alone in the woods. Im not to concerned if the other person is creeped out and neither is she.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Alaska is number one in sexual assault, moose/bear/wolf are all troublesome in parts of the Valley . . . I know of two family's who had a pretty young lady move to Anchorage to start their adult life only to have their life ended violently! Nope, don't think you are paranoid at all! As long as the young'un is capable and wise I think it's a great idea.

However . . . I have visions of "sure Dad I will" then soon as your out of sight everything changes, if her Mom thinks it's over the top then seems likely she is appeasing you and could get her own gun turned on her because she let someone too close thinking you are paranoid. Hard call but if there was much doubt that she would keep her distance and truly use the gun if it came to that she may be better off spray and/or a stungun.

The whole thing about kids not doing as told when we are out of sight is all to real, except this. From what shes been through and seen she takes her personal safety very seriously.

good point. I have really though about this a lot. And the 100 yards I should have clarified, when I say at the ready its not the military at ready like I learned but more of the weapon is slung across the chest ready for duty if needed. Not slung on the back or shoulder.

yes I have thought about this also, but my wife wont let her until she gets sprayed with it.... my wife has been sprayed many times for work... so shes weird about it.. so don't ask...

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well...........if for any reason she pointed the rifle at someone, they would be with-in their rights to spin-draw their weapon and fire rounds at her. I would hope she knows that. I would hope she always remembers it.
    This is well understood. If this was a question with her she wouldn't be carrying it. good point though.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I gotta say letting the kid roll with some bear spray sounds like a better idea with fewer negative consequences. Teens (I'm assuming teen) walking around with a rifle at the ready sounds like a way to have more problems rather than fewer. I understand wanting to protect the family so I'm not minimizing any risks but overreaction can be as bad as underreaction.

And yes, I think you're being a little paranoid unless you live in the absolute worst neighborhood in the State. In that case you might think harder about getting her a new zip code.
    good points.
    Its definatley not the worst neighbor hood, and she does not carry a rifle in the neighborhood, only dogs. But the woods is where she carries it. I can agree to a point on the consequences.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast