Thread: Modified Lowe

Default Modified Lowe

I'm kind of new to owning boats. I picked up this modified 20' Lowe this summer and love it! It's far from pretty but tough as nails and reliable. It has a Yamaha Pro-V 150 on the back that gets her moving really well and doesn't kill me with the fuel consumption.

The previous owner liked to tinker with aluminum and did a bunch of work to this boat. New extra stout transom, reinforced bow, extended gunnels, jet tunnel, reinforced strakes and even ramps for loading a 4-wheeler or 2. It'll run in some really shallow rivers and handles pretty well to my novice hands.

It's put up for the winter and now I get to dream about all the mods I want to do before next summer. I need to find some saddle tanks and maybe build a sniper platform for next hunting season......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a better shot of the extended gunnels. It ain't pretty but it works and it's paid for.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a nice ride.
    BK

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I like the looks of it too and a having a paid for boat is the best option possible. I'd think hard about adding the saddle tanks though. While it's great to have the convenience of fuel tanks that are plumbed into the fuel system, it's also nice to be able to grab fuel cans and unload them if you get somewhere where there isn't enough water to float a full load.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    I like the looks of it too and a having a paid for boat is the best option possible. I'd think hard about adding the saddle tanks though. While it's great to have the convenience of fuel tanks that are plumbed into the fuel system, it's also nice to be able to grab fuel cans and unload them if you get somewhere where there isn't enough water to float a full load.
    I agree whole heartedly . I've always used a pair of black 15 gallon barrels. I can move them around if I need to adjust the load for balance. Or if I need to lighten the load for a real skinny spot, I can set them ashore. I definitely agree with everyone on the Paid For part.

That is a way cool rig there.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Or when the river drops 6 inches overnight and you are high and dry...... been there done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I agree whole heartedly . I've always used a pair of black 15 gallon barrels. I can move them around if I need to adjust the load for balance. Or if I need to lighten the load for a real skinny spot, I can set them ashore. I definitely agree with everyone on the Paid For part.
    That's what I currently run and it works But i would like to free up a bit more deck space if I can. A wife, 3 kids and 4 dogs take up a lot of space.......

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    That is a way cool rig there.
    Thanks!

Awesome! Bet it moves out like right now too. Pretty cool fabrication, obvious thought went into all that, not a hack or "oops" job.
    And that 150 yamaha is one of the best 2 strokes around. That'd be a fun rig to have!
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Awesome! Bet it moves out like right now too. Pretty cool fabrication, obvious thought went into all that, not a hack or "oops" job.
    And that 150 yamaha is one of the best 2 strokes around. That'd be a fun rig to have!
    It'll come up in about 3 lengths with a moderate load. Cruise at about 25mph up the Chena at about 4000rpm and yes, the mods were fairly well thought out. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this boat.

I am glad you like the boat. I put a lot of work into that boat and it served well for the intended purpose. I think I sold it too cheap though. Here is a video my buddy shot with his Iphone of me crossing the river before I had that boat.

Crossing the Delta River in a 4 wheeler is scary. This is the reason I did all the mods on that boat. Even then, some years the Delta river was too low to use a boat but still too high to cross with a 4 wheeler. And then you have multiple channels.

If and when you want to put a moose tower or any other modifications, contact me and I will be happy to give you a price.

Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    I am glad you like the boat. I put a lot of work into that boat and it served well for the intended purpose. I think I sold it too cheap though.

If and when you want to put a moose tower or any other modifications, contact me and I will be happy to give you a price.
    I kinda wondered if you were on here. I actually did think about giving you a shout when I want to mod it further I just have to save up a bit more $$$ first. I seemed to have spent all my extra on gas last summer.......

Thanks again for the awesome boat! How did the airboat project come out?