Thread: Moving up before Thanksgiving from Alabama

Default Moving up before Thanksgiving from Alabama

Hi everyone! The wife and I have spent a few years researching and getting ready to make the move to Fairbanks. Now the house has sold and we are in the process of packing and gathering the things we need to safely make the trip. Our current plan is to drive to Bellingham WA and ferry to Whittier. Then make the drive to Fairbanks from there. We are both excited, yet maintaining a healthy respect for the scope of our goal. We plan to camp our way up across the lower 48 not really due to money but to get acclimated before we spend 7 days in a tent duct taped to the deck of a ferry. This should be an epic journey if there ever was one.

A little something to look forward to......

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats on the move. Its....different here. You'll love it.

Just a little advice after you get here. Get outside and explore every chance you get. Make the most of the daylight in the winter.

If its still possible for you to get a cabin on the ferry you might consider it. Besides the weather you'll have, those decks are just plain loud with engine noise.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions(you will lol). I'll do my best to help out.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

In the fall you may end up spending most your time in the main "lounge" area on the big chairs, than out on the deck in freezing rain.

So whats your plan? Looks like there was not much returned to you back in 2008 on your various posts.

Hey,
    In 08 we were just starting to save and plan. I have become much better informed and have a MUCH larger nest egg now than then. We have lived here in what amounts to a dry cabin for a couple of years, let me tell ya nothing like Alabama heat and humidity with no power. We are currently packing the car and trailer and finishing the last little details before we head out. Both of us are prepared for 7+ days of misery on the ferry deck so if it's anything less than terrible hey pleasant surprise! Honestly the only thing I am really worried about are the Mat-Su's land tax rates. They seem to want about 4 quarts of blood a year. We may alter our plans about living there and buy a more northern piece of land. Our intent is to be out of town but not so remote that its air only. Something on a river would be great, but there are other issues with that. I have no desire to get out by a village unless they are willing to accept us being there. I understand how important neighbors can be there. However since there is no real rush when we get there I know we will find what were looking for.

Are you moving to Fairbanks or Mat-Su? You may want to double check the ferry sched, I don't think you can get to Whittier this time of year. Haines may be your only option.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by iammarkjones View Post
    Hi everyone! The wife and I have spent a few years researching and getting ready to make the move to Fairbanks. Now the house has sold and we are in the process of packing and gathering the things we need to safely make the trip. Our current plan is to drive to Bellingham WA and ferry to Whittier. Then make the drive to Fairbanks from there. We are both excited, yet maintaining a healthy respect for the scope of our goal. We plan to camp our way up across the lower 48 not really due to money but to get acclimated before we spend 7 days in a tent duct taped to the deck of a ferry. This should be an epic journey if there ever was one.
    I'm not sure the ferry is crossing the gulf to Whittier this time of year, have you checked with the ferry system yet?

Kennicott does Cross Gulf year 'round.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hey,
    In 08 we were just starting to save and plan. I have become much better informed and have a MUCH larger nest egg now than then. We have lived here in what amounts to a dry cabin for a couple of years, let me tell ya nothing like Alabama heat and humidity with no power. We are currently packing the car and trailer and finishing the last little details before we head out. Both of us are prepared for 7+ days of misery on the ferry deck so if it's anything less than terrible hey pleasant surprise! Honestly the only thing I am really worried about are the Mat-Su's land tax rates. They seem to want about 4 quarts of blood a year. We may alter our plans about living there and buy a more northern piece of land. Our intent is to be out of town but not so remote that its air only. Something on a river would be great, but there are other issues with that. I have no desire to get out by a village unless they are willing to accept us being there. I understand how important neighbors can be there. However since there is no real rush when we get there I know we will find what were looking for.
    Do you already have a place to stay?
    I'm not sure that winter is the best time to look for land to buy...then again, is there any snow on the ground on the road?

From a GA boy that grew up on the GA/Bama line (Roll Tide Roll) AK can be a shock. I've always loved winter months in the south. I hate the summers. But be prepared to be shocked. We were able to spend Aug, Sep, and Oct to prepare our first year up here. It's been a strange winter so far (more like fall and spring than winter) but temps are quickly dropping. Layer. Layer. Layer.

Good Luck though with your move. Make it through winter before you buy too.

You may already fully understand this, but figured it doesn't hurt to mention it. If you are looking for land to buy in the winter, be VERY careful. It can be very deceiving. It may look nice and flat and/or solid. Remember that everything is solid this time of year because it is frozen, but it could very easily be a bog or marsh come spring/summer. If possible, talk to any nearby "neighbors" to get their opinions of the plot of land.

EDIT: Another thing to take into consideration is access. If you are off the road system, realize that access methods will likely change depending on the time of year and depending on where you are at, there are likely times when access is not possible by anything short of a helicopter. Lakes and rivers are good for summer and winter, but sketchy in spring and fall due to mixes of open water and ice. ATV trails go from good for 4-wheeler or snowmachine to mud holes you can't find the bottom of in the shoulder seasons.

Everything looks nice when covered with snow. You may find of mess of stuff when it melts. Old building materials, junkers, hard to say. Found some stuff around my home that I bought in snowy April.

I would reconsider that tent on the back deck thing this time of year,, there was no room left when we started our trip with clear skies, but after the first major blow all but one or two tents were gone. I would get there early and try to get under the weather cover "has heat" worst case they allow sleeping in the theater between movies.

Weather deck..

Stateroom

Tent on deck,, tape came loose once wet.

Theater

Not sure why they call it "the party deck"

Long drive up icy roads to Squarbanks, winter tires recommended.

All these were from one trip, from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Pack some survival supplies, just in case.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Kennicott does Cross Gulf year 'round.
    Good info, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I would reconsider that tent on the back deck thing this time of year,, there was no room left when we started our trip with clear skies, but after the first major blow all but one or two tents were gone. I would get there early and try to get under the weather cover "has heat" worst case they allow sleeping in the theater between movies.

Weather deck..

How does one tie these tents down? Are they inside a wind protected area?

To OP:
    I do not recommend doing the drive up, unless you have extensive snow driving experience.
    Think about that winter storm that came through your area and the ATL area last year...I once lived down south and this is only my third winter. I still am not comfortable driving on the roads yet.

FYI: Some ferries don't allow tents. My experience while on ferry from Juneau to Haines.

[QUOTE=Yukon Cornelius;1439388]How does one tie these tents down? Are they inside a wind protected area?

Duct Tape / Gorilla Tape

Lot's of it.....

My wife and I just took the ferry from Bellingham to Haines the first week of October. My understanding was that was the end of the line this time of year. It was colder than a well diggers wallet out on the deck even a month ago, but then again I may be just getting too old for that kind of fun. We did get a cabin and even though it cut into the funds I would do it the same way. There were plenty of opportunities though to get out of the weather and comfortable seating to lounge around and nap. The drive from Haines to Anchorage was breath taking, at times quite literally. Beauty like I have never seen in my life!! Have a safe trip.

Hi folks,
    Sorry it took so long to reply my son just passed away, it was a fatal car accident. He was only 30 years old far to young. Jamey is survived by his wife and three kids. We are still in shock, denial, yeah ..... So I have booked a reservation for the ferry leaving Jan 9. We needed some time to wrap things up here. That is next to the last sailing until march. I appreciate the advice on land in winter we want to be able to put our feet on it in both frozen snow cover and in the summer when it thaws out. Access this is something we have discussed and hashed over pretty well. I have put up enough cash to get a new boat, snow machine, and 4 wheeler. Believe it or not we have lived in a place or two in alabama that had no road access for up to a year at a time. I will be honest the main thing that made us consider alaska in the beginning was the ability to live off the grid in a "unconventional" fashion without constantly having to explain our motivation lol. We are really struggling to stay in the house here until we go, it's so hard to walk through the place and not wonder where he is. You guys are all great and I really thank you all for the advise and well wishes.

Hi folks,
    Sorry it took so long to reply my son just passed away, it was a fatal car accident. He was only 30 years old far to young. Jamey is survived by his wife and three kids. We are still in shock, denial, yeah ..... So I have booked a reservation for the ferry leaving Jan 9. We needed some time to wrap things up here. That is next to the last sailing until march. I appreciate the advice on land in winter we want to be able to put our feet on it in both frozen snow cover and in the summer when it thaws out. Access this is something we have discussed and hashed over pretty well. I have put up enough cash to get a new boat, snow machine, and 4 wheeler. Believe it or not we have lived in a place or two in alabama that had no road access for up to a year at a time. I will be honest the main thing that made us consider alaska in the beginning was the ability to live off the grid in a "unconventional" fashion without constantly having to explain our motivation lol. We are really struggling to stay in the house here until we go, it's so hard to walk through the place and not wonder where he is. You guys are all great and I really thank you all for the advise and well wishes.
    I am in shock. I am so, so sorry to hear of this. I cannot imagine your sense of loss. You are in our prayers, and I hope you know that most Alaskans will consider you "family". But for now, I feel numb for you.

I wish you safe travels, and am praying that the trip itself will be a time of peace as you begin the healing process.

Take care, my friend.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Hi folks,

I am sorry for your loss. I can't offer much more than prayers for healing and comfort. And take your time.