Thread: Where to sell fur

Default Where to sell fur

I'm new to trapping and was wondering where you sell your fur once it's been handled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also like to know this! Is the guy in fairbanks the only one in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I would also like to know this! Is the guy in fairbanks the only one in Alaska?
    No he isn't .

I'll pull a copy of trapper magazine. We have a guy that comes to our village and buys. I think there are two buyers that hit our area. Some guys mail their furs themselves.

Auctions are common too.

a really common thing to do is send them to NAFA, might be worth looking into.. maybe call a couple taxideremsts?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trapping supply store in Eagle River will ship them to NAFA for you at the end of the season. After the auction NAFA will send you a check for your furs that were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    The trapping supply store in Eagle River will ship them to NAFA for you at the end of the season. After the auction NAFA will send you a check for your furs that were sold.
    A note to be added to this, look up the shipping dares for the different auctions, ibthink they have 3 a year? Most people ive talked to say the february auction generally yeilds higher prices than the may one. I have no personal experience with this though.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I do one of two things, ship it to NAFA or send it to Moyles to be tanned. Muskrat, mink, marten normally do pretty good at auction. Some years fox, yote, and lynx will do alright but if you watch the market you can get more from getting them tanned and selling private vs the auction. Beaver and otter I get tanned and sell privately.

Contact the Colorado Trappers Association. We have a huge 5 day Auction each Feb. The furs that come down from Alaska do very well. We would love to have more! We sell both raw and tanned fur.

After seeing the prices the last couple years at the Fur Rondy fur auction put on by the ATA and looking at the prices from NAFA. I would send everything to the Fur Rondy auction except marten,ermine,muskrat and mink. If you sell otter at the Fur Rondy you will get more money if its fur out. also you will get more money for furs with feet on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I'll pull a copy of trapper magazine. We have a guy that comes to our village and buys. I think there are two buyers that hit our area. Some guys mail their furs themselves.

Auctions are common too.
    Im in Fairbanks...and was wondering about the guys in Fairbanks and elsewhere here in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    a really common thing to do is send them to NAFA, might be worth looking into.. maybe call a couple taxideremsts?
    Yes, keep taxidermists in mind.

Most taxidermists like to keep a few fur bearers on hand - they are the only mounts we can sell outright and occasionally hunters who come up are interested in buying a wolverine, lynx, or wolf to take home (hide or mount). Other non furbearer animals commonly sought are snowshoe hares, and damage free flying squirrels.

Also - exceptional skins with no to very minimal damage can also bring a good price for taxidermists who are looking for animals to enter a competition with. An extremely well furred wolverine with a very large light colored diamond and lots of chest markings for instance. Blue phase wolves, black (no brown) or clear gray wolves are good for taxidermy, or any off colored animal - pumpkin/orange marten, for example. (wolverine, lynx, marten with white paws). Typically smaller animals are sold in the round and have zero damage (trap or otherwise). Dispatching with a snare pole is advantageous as you can also sell the skulls.

Taxidermy.net is a pretty decent place to sell items if you are willing to go through the hassle of boxing and shipping and emailing photos, and dealing with people you don't know. Or you can sell in the round to a local taxidermists. Most of us will only buy on a wholesale price - less than what you will get on taxi.net - and rightfully so, because as businessmen and women we then become the one responsible if the animal ends up having issues when/if we then sell it to someone else as a skinned or tanned animal. Also - we then use our time to then skin, prep, and sell these skins. You either get paid for your time, or we get paid for ours.

Also - if you get a badly damaged animal (ie partly eaten or sour/green belly with hair slippage) - some taxis are interested in those for 'parts' animals...you won't get much for them, but it is better than throwing them out....I think anyway.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I live in wasilla and will be buying some furs throughout the season. PM with what you have and what you want for them.

CHenapump In Fairbanks there are two that I know of Alaska Raw Fur and Arctic Raw Fur similar names different buyers I am sure some of the locals can chime in and tell you about them.
    Personally I seldom sell a fur anymore that is intact. My wife is a skin sewer so she gets most of them finding alternative markets can really boost the income from your hard work and with all the tourist coming and going if you work at it once you find the places to sell and what to maybe do with the fur to make them more attractive to people can make a big difference it maybe as simple as tanning and selling in lodges around the state. Or putting a willow hoop on a beaver hide just need to use your imagination and think about where the people that maybe attracted to your stuff can be found
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Supporting Member

The Alaska Trappers Association (ATA) always holds an auction in Fairbanks in March (in conjunction with its "Trappers Fling). Usually a pretty good place to sell fur that isn't shipped off to one of the international auctions. For the international auctions, you have Fur Harvesters Auctions (Joe Mattie @ Alaska Raw Fur is an agent) or North American Fur Auctions (NAFA). I believe NAFA has a couple of agents in AK. Jim at Alaska Range Trapping Supply in Eagle River is one of them. The South Central chapter of ATA in Anchorage usually conducts the Rondy Fur Auction (Last Saturday in February and the first Saturday in March normally) and the ADFG Hide and Horn Auction (usually the Sunday after the first fur auction). Prices are very good for trapper-caught fur and there is usually a large crowd competing for the furs. As someone posted earlier, most skins sell very well (except marten), but the main difference is all your pelts need to be fur side out to achieve the best prices. Intact (paws & claws) pelts do better than ones with feet cut off and tanned furs always seem to do a little better (probably due to number of tourists and fur sewers in the crowd that don't want to mess with sending furs to a tannery). Good luck with your season and regardless of what you do with your catch, I hope you get the best prices possible!
    Last edited by spike9542003@yahoo.com; 10-04-2015 at 15:39. Reason: Additional info

Jesse and any others, I don't buy furs but I will buy any wolf, wolverine or lynx skulls you trap and this offer goes for all year long. I buy from several trappers and always looking for more. Everyone have a prosperous season!

Thanks

Jeff