Thread: Fat Bike Questions

Default Fat Bike Questions

I used to mountain bike a little bit but I'm not a real hardcore biker. Where I live now doesn't really have the kind of biking I'd be comfortable with on a standard mountain bike. I do live on a BIG lake several miles of shoreline which typically have snow machine tracks or I could make/pack my own. on the way into the nearest town there are 4 wheeler trails on the side of the road. I also have access to beaches with sand or gravel. I'm 58 in decent shape but no triathlete 6'/210 wanna get about 20# lighter, and I could not or probably would not ride these with a standard mountain bike but they seem like really great places to do more than just ride my wheeler or sled. Are the so called fat tire bikes THAT much easier on terrains like this? I mean easier as far as ridability not cardio easier. Are bikes coming out today like at REI in the $1500 range a lot better than say a bike from a few years ago that some SERIOUS biker might be upgrading? Are far tire bikes totally out of place on dirt roads(?). I really only want one bike.

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I used to mountain bike a little bit but I'm not a real hardcore biker. Where I live now doesn't really have the kind of biking I'd be comfortable with on a standard mountain bike. I do live on a BIG lake several miles of shoreline which typically have snow machine tracks or I could make/pack my own. on the way into the nearest town there are 4 wheeler trails on the side of the road. I also have access to beaches with sand or gravel. I'm 58 in decent shape but no triathlete 6'/210 wanna get about 20# lighter, and I could not or probably would not ride these with a standard mountain bike but they seem like really great places to do more than just ride my wheeler or sled. Are the so called fat tire bikes THAT much easier on terrains like this? I mean easier as far as ridability not cardio easier. Are bikes coming out today like at REI in the $1500 range a lot better than say a bike from a few years ago that some SERIOUS biker might be upgrading? Are far tire bikes totally out of place on dirt roads(?). I really only want one bike.
    I have been riding fat bikes for about 4 years now. It sounds like that would be ideal for your situation. They are really nice on areas that are not quite solid enough for a regular mountain bike like beaches or softer ATV trails. I used mine last November hunting moose up in Fairbanks and could right through some pretty rough terrain. They aren't that bad on dirt roads either, just add some pressure to the tires.

The good thing right now is that a lot of people are in the process of upgrading to the lighter, more expensive bikes now that the 2nd and 3rd generation models are out, so there is a good quantity of first generation (still pretty good) bikes on the market. Look for used instead of spending unnecessary money on a new bike. You will get more for your money. Figure that most fat bikes haven't gotten the miles that a mountain bike would have on it and most of those miles are in the snow which is a lot cleaner and easier on the equipment than dirt and grime tends to be. Go down to a couple of the bike shops and find what size you are looking for, then watch places like Craigslist for one that fits to show up.