Thread: Changing Pachmyer Sling Studs To Regular Studs

Default Changing Pachmyer Sling Studs To Regular Studs

On my .338 and .500 A-Square stocks there are Pachmyer recessed studs installed. I don't like these as the quick release "swivel" is only 1" wide and I want to use Turner Saddlery's National Match m1907 slings which are 1 1/4".

Question: is there a way to easily remove these studs or should I bite the bullet and let a professional do it?

Thanks.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I think they will be epoxied in place. You will have to apply heat to break the epoxy, and remove them without pulling up wood chips at the surface. Then, once removed, plug the holes, redrill and install studs.IMG_0312.jpg
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

They are steel right?? Could you not use a bandsaw and cut the stem off and weld that too a 1 1/4 loop?? Seems much easier than replacing the stud.

Just thinking out loud, that is how I would approach it.

Good Luck
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I think they will be epoxied in place. You will have to apply heat to break the epoxy, and remove them without pulling up wood chips at the surface. Then, once removed, plug the holes, redrill and install studs.IMG_0312.jpg
    Dang it. I figured as much. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    They are steel right?? Could you not use a bandsaw and cut the stem off and weld that too a 1 1/4 loop?? Seems much easier than replacing the stud.

Just thinking out loud, that is how I would approach it.

Good Luck
    You know, I do not know if they are machined or pressed steel. I think in the long run, considering the weight of the rifles, it may be better to have them pulled and new studs installed.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

I bought a Remington 700 in January from a guy that had almost identical looking sling studs in the stock, but they were screw in. I got lucky I guess and I unscrewed them from the stock and replaced them with regular studs. I think I would have them pulled and install the new ones.

I have resigned myself to bringing both stocks with the hardware into Anchorage next trip and paying a pro to install them.