Thread: Looking for a Forest Service Cabin in Wrangell as a Kayak base

Default Looking for a Forest Service Cabin in Wrangell as a Kayak base

Hello
    next June we will spend some time in the Wrangell area in cabins. We like to kayak, fish, watching wildlife, etc.

At the moment, the following cabins are a possible place:
    * Steamer Bay
    * Mount Rynda
    * Shakes Slough

I would be very happy, if one of you could give us some ideas. We are from Switzerland. I know some Cabins around Petersburg and Juneau and Kenai. We love SE-Alaska and it would be great to paddle a bit in the cabin area. We would saty for 7 days and go back to Wrangell. From there we fly/boat to another cabin (that's the idea).

Thanks, Hans
    Last edited by Hans-Linus; 11-15-2014 at 07:32. Reason: typos
    It's what you do when no one is looking that counts.

http://hansmetzler.me/

I have never been in the area and anyone can google this but this link may help you get started. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tonga...8622&actid=101

Also do a search on this forum with Wrangell and Cabins. A few decent posts seem to be available. I live in South-central Alaska but this would still be a trip of a lifetime for me!! I bet you will have a very enjoyable trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I have never been in the area and anyone can google this
    Hey Kardinal
    I did the google-search and I know the link pretty good, since I was renting maybe 10 cabins in AK from Forest Service. All the cabins I listed above are a resultat of my search.
    BTW: I love all your videos posted at AOJ

What I am looking is for a first hand information: There are cabins/locations that are better for kayaking, looking for animals, fishing (beach access, tidal flats, streams around, things like that. At the moment I choose from all the cabins in the area...

So, if one of you is sharing his expercience, I would be happy.

thanks, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans-Linus View Post
    Hey Kardinal
    I did the google-search and I know the link pretty good, since I was renting maybe 10 cabins in AK from Forest Service. All the cabins I listed above are a resultat of my search.
    BTW: I love all your videos posted at AOJ

What I am looking is for a first hand information: There are cabins/locations that are better for kayaking, looking for animals, fishing (beach access, tidal flats, streams around, things like that. At the moment I choose from all the cabins in the area...

So, if one of you is sharing his expercience, I would be happy.

thanks, Hans
    Hans,

You are going to have a blast. My final suggestion might be to post in the Saltwater Fishing forum and make a post. The powerboat forum might be a good one as well. I live in Alaska and I am still very envious of your trip. I hope you find the information you need! Glad you enjoyed the videos!

Try a PM to forum member "Amigo Will". He is in Wrangell and may be able to provide specifics. If you want to know about cabins around Sitka or Prince of Wales let me know. Sounds like a good time, you'll have a blast!

Thanks, will do.

Shakes and Rynda are both great cabins. There are some guide outfits in Wrangell that would take you and your boats up the river to save the upstream paddle. I would have them drop you up around the Canadian border and paddle down to Shakes via the Chief Shakes Hot Springs, the glacier would be well worth the paddle up that slough one day. Then paddle down to Rynda for a night. Fishing should be good there right in front of the cabin or farther up the clearwater slough the cabin sits on. Possible moose/bear sightings in that are for sure. Then maybe a night on the flats in the Little Dry, Gut Island, or Binkley Slough cabins. The Stikine flats are renowned for their diversity of migrating birds. The Stikine river is a favorite playground during the summer for our crew here.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

It will be Harding River Cabin.
    Stikine River cabins are also a great option. On the other side, Bratfield Canal offers good kayaking, fresh- and saltwaterfishing.
    We will stay in the cabin for one week. Later we will kayak Tutka Bay and other places in Kachemak Bay.

Thank you for you help!
    Hans