Thread: Wood stove help!

Default Wood stove help!

I have a blaze king wood stove in my new house. First night of a fire in it and creosote is coming out of the stove where it meets the first section of pipe and leaking onto the stove. Not enjoying the smell. Is there a company here in the valley Thst does repairs on these, I'm headed to the slope today and want to get it up and running clean for the family.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Is your pipe inside or outside of the collar on your stove? If outside, your pipe should be inside the collar. A picture would be helpful.
    JOHN

I am out of the country till Dec that does not help you much. I used to clean and install all of that stuff if you had more time I could of talked you threw it by email. Chances are the chimney is blocked or if it has a cat it blocked. I hope you find something or someone if not hit me up.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

If you have a modern BK with a cat, and are still producing creosote... then you have an underlying problem. Either smoldering wet wood, or a toasted cat. The first one often precedes and is directly related to the second. If it's a new house, then it is possible that the former owner burned wet wood and screwed it up for you. Clean chimney and either clean or replace the cat is likely the answer. If all is running well, then creosote production will be essentially zero.

If it's an old BK without the cat, then the likely fix is a clean chimney and then just burning hot enough to keep creosote from forming. Choking it down or building small fires isn't good for them.

Can't help with a repair place in the valley. It is odd that the joint is allowing anything to leak. Sounds like something is backwards.

Yk

Forgot to take a pic. It is inside the collar. Should there be set screws in the collsr
    Into the pipe?
    Master guide 212

Default Wood stove help!

Are you sure it is creosote? or perhaps dark stained water (condensation)

if the lowest piece of chimney pipe is indeed inside the Woodstove collar, then perhaps one of the pieces above is outside the one below it, or maybe the joint where you go from black pipe to double wall was installed without an adapter. Many people install the pipe backwards

Not familiar with Blaze king. You can find the info you need with Alaska Fireplace in Wasilla 892-7131
    JOHN

Is it possible the house is so tight there is not enough draft? Open a window a crack and see if it helps.

It dries out and gets black and crusty.
    It looks like it comes up and out, it's not running down. There's not a lot, but enough to give the house a headache smell. Found a guy that's gonna swing by and check it out. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Someone said you can't choke the bk stoves down....at night it runs hot but no flame. Just alot of red hot coals. Keeps the house nice and the stove hot. Some of my wood might be a little wet as I just got there and haven't got my pile up
    And curing. Maybe should I just run dead spruce and steer clear of birch until my wood has had time
    To dry out?
    Master guide 212

Good luck, hope it all works out
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

Someone said you can't choke the bk stoves down....at night it runs hot but no flame. Just alot of red hot coals. Keeps the house nice and the stove hot. Some of my wood might be a little wet as I just got there and haven't got my pile up
    And curing. Maybe should I just run dead spruce and steer clear of birch until my wood has had time
    To dry out?

Running hot without flame is perfectly normal with a blaze king. Wouldn't worry about that at all. Dry wood is pretty critical though.

Yk

Well I'm a idiot. Turns out just the bottom piece was in wrong... My wood is too wet and the stack is to flimsy. Gonna have the guy fix me up right, then it will save me a lot a lot a lot on propane!
    Might have to buy a load of wood or two to get me rolling...so I can get some aging behind it.
    Master guide 212

Glad you got it figured out
    JOHN

It is nearly impossible right now to buy any seasoned wood. Most of those that are selling "seasoned" wood are flat out liars. The best way is to buy it two years in advance and build a woodshed big enough to hold it all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Wood stove help!

I have wood in the fishhook area if you are in need or want to see my firewood setup. Shoot me a pm. Plenty of dry spruce and birch that will cure quickly once split.

Need snow to haul most of it but could part with a cord or two right away.