Thread: Trapping along creeks.. Setting traps for 2 days.. Questoins

Default Trapping along creeks.. Setting traps for 2 days.. Questoins

As im sure many of you have felt before, i got the urge the other day to "blow this popsicle stand" for a few days and head up north, i got a sorta 3 day weekend, ill be off by noon tomorrow and plan on heading up as soon as i leave the shop. Im thinking of camping along one of the creeks on the way to cantwell, and running some traps up and down said creek. Is it even worth it to set traps friday night and pull them sunday morning? Or would i be better off just beboppin around doing some predator calling? I have a couple ermine boxes, a few 120s and no 1 ls's a 330, snares and a half dozen no 3 coils. So if i were to trap what would be the best way to "set" the creek? Also i was wondering about the effectivness of ground sets (cubbies) along the creek for a combo mink/marten set, but then again i dont want a fox walking into a cubbie set with a no 1, and i dont think a mink would set off a no 3. Any tips would be fantastic!

Another question. If i say, set a few 120s and some snares, would it be unethical to leave those all week till next saturday and run up there and pull them? It seems to me the animal will be dead weither i check it 2 hours or 2 weeks after its caught, veing a conni breaks its neck but id hate to make a bad catch and have it suffer in my trap. Thanks in advance
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG it is good to see a young man so full of desire! I can remember days afield where my desires often overloaded my rear-end! Nothing wrong with a 3 day line to me, if weather cooperates you should snag some fur! Not sure what to tell you on leaving sets for a week, we have to run them every 24hr here in IL. If its cool enough your fur should be ok, birds and other predators may be an issue wanting to eat anything you catch and if it gets a little warm the conibears can cause damage as the insides warm up over time ruining a pelt... Best of luck on making a decision!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I know a bunch of guys that run extended checks, 7 days max. They target marten and lynx. Elevated sets for the marten and footholds for the lynx. I personally wouldn't recommend snares or footholds for other critters due to fur damage or loss. That is my opinion.

In this warm weather going a week with a critter in a snare is going to give your the potential for a very ugly experience. The old gag reflex tends to kick in if you get something with major green belly that would come with it. Ive caught fur in 24 hours so yes the 3 day thing could work and if you leave them for a week it shouldn't be a problem if they are conis in the water with this warm weather. Once it cools down below freezing snare away I prefer a 4 day check but I am lucky as I just trap in the winter with no job tying me down
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I would advise that the parks hyway road system has MANY trappers running sets along it. Including myself, about 80 sets at this point, no more until it snows.
    Running creek lines shoulnt be to tough though, the warm weather may actauly bode well for water trapping for mink and otter.
    I would just make sure and watch your area lol. lots of trappers up there
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    I would advise that the parks hyway road system has MANY trappers running sets along it. Including myself, about 80 sets at this point, no more until it snows.
    Running creek lines shoulnt be to tough though, the warm weather may actauly bode well for water trapping for mink and otter.
    I would just make sure and watch your area lol. lots of trappers up there
    Just out of curiosity i set a couple traps at honolulu, didnt see any human tracks(tire tracks or car, flagging etc. ) in the snow, know of anybody with sets there? Im pullin um tomorrow, but would feel bad if i set traps on top if somebody elses.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanks all for the tips