Thread: Transporting dog by snowmachine

Default Transporting dog by snowmachine

I'm curious what other people have found works and what doesn't work. My first thought is to build a wooden box lined with foam and strap it to the tunnel. It would have an open top so the dog could sit up and enjoy the view. Unfortunately, I have a feeling reality might strike and I would end up with the dog running behind me on the trail. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are working on a two dog box for a pull behind sled. Pics of what others have might help out in the design process. I am going to go for something built of plywood that's a little smaller than the crates we use in the truck to reduce bouncing around. The design will focus on blocking wind and snow entry as well as being attached to the sled securely. I plan to put straw in the box for insulation/padding as that works in the dog house and the crate in the back of the truck. Right now I can take 1 dog on easy rides as they both believe they are lap dogs. They would sit in the sled without a box but I fear that ejection from the box either voluntary or involuntary is too big a risk.

Good thread.

-Tom

Two options for 2 different dogs that I use... a standard airline type kennel with an insulated cover, with lots of blankets inside for the big dog- bungeed to the rack behind the seat (yeah, way oversized, and sits on top of the rack, but it works). For the little(r) dog, a ride in front under an oversized jacket.

In both cases, I take it slow, and am mindful of the bumps. I only need to go about 9 miles to the cabin, which is mostly flat.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used to throw my dog in the sled. One icy day I noticed he had soot around his muzzle. I carried him on the tank after that. Kinda of a pain, I had to drop him off for scary stuff and then reload him. He got pretty good at hanging on!
    A box on the tank or the rear rack would work best.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    We are working on a two dog box for a pull behind sled. Pics of what others have might help out in the design process. I am going to go for something built of plywood that's a little smaller than the crates we use in the truck to reduce bouncing around. The design will focus on blocking wind and snow entry as well as being attached to the sled securely. I plan to put straw in the box for insulation/padding as that works in the dog house and the crate in the back of the truck. Right now I can take 1 dog on easy rides as they both believe they are lap dogs. They would sit in the sled without a box but I fear that ejection from the box either voluntary or involuntary is too big a risk.

Good thread.

-Tom
    Don't have any specific design ideas to offer, but I know from experience that a sled ride can be pretty brutal in terms of pounding and snow infiltration, so those are the two primary things I'd pay close attention to. The machine exhaust can be pretty nasty in the slipstream too. My dog always hated being crated up on a sled behind a machine, even if he had already run 30 miles and was dead tired. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure his time riding on the tank was a significant contributor to his becoming prematurely deaf. Things to consider, with no perfect answers.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree that noise and exhaust are issues as well as speed. Newer snow machines help with the noise and exhaust but I think the driver of the snow machine needs to cognizant of the precious cargo in the sled and slow way down. Whenever possible I will stick to skijoring with a hunting partner driving the support snow machine!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416075184.478759.jpg

Here's an example of coming up with a way to get a cityfied pit bull home when the heated Argo broke down. Tried to get a hat on him to help with the noise, but he'd have no part in it (this is a friend, not me)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416075184.478759.jpg

Here's an example of coming up with a way to get a cityfied pit bull home when the heated Argo broke down. Tried to get a hat on him to help with the noise, but he'd have no part in it (this is a friend, not me)
    That's a cute picture! That bag was a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id be very careful using a pull behind sled. You'd have to make sure it had a super good suspension system. Think about how it would feel to ride in a meat wagon or utility sled behindan ATV or snowmachine. That would be brutal right? Same for the dog. I use a crate on my ATV, and snowmachine. They both have a good suspension and less jostling.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Also, take it slow....
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Lion hunted in Idaho with dogs and snow machines
    Alum "standard" looking dog box built on snowmachine skis/suspension.

Hope that's kinda clear. We covered LOTS of miles and the dogs we good to go. A company down in states makes them. Skookum setup. Maybe google and find the company?

If I were inclined - I'd build the exact one or buy one I guess

My dog loves riding in the box. This sled is a smooth rider. The kennel is pretty much all I use it for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FVJgfgodyTIA6w

If something like this was modified for a snowmachine it would work pretty good. On the sitting on the tank my 120 lb lab was always hitting the kill switch everytime we hit a bump and I finaly just put rubber bands around the bottom of it so it would just bounce back up, lol.

My spaniel does a dang good job of riding on the tank but the 75lb pointer isn't much fun. I ran a box in an otter sled last year and he hated it! He would rather run but by the time we were heading back I was afraid he was going to break a leg tripping over his tongue. The box worked but if I was dead set on using a sled then a trailer with suspension would have to happen.

After lots of pondering I think a ranger crew with tracks would be the ideal rig to take the dogs out winter bird hunting. Then again I saw a jeep Cherokee on tracks out eureka and that thing would make ptarmigan hunting an absolute treat for dogs and hunters alike!

I run lions in CO. every winter with hounds. I use both sleds and quads. Quads get aluminum dog boxes strapped to the rear rack. With sleds, we use those same dog boxes striped to a trailer towed behind. Make sure the skies of the trailer are the same width as the skies of the sled. Make your box hieght is not much higher then the hieght of the dogs back so there is no room for the dog to fly up and hit the top of the box if you do hit a bad bump. Put window on opposite side of box from the exhaust and make sure you can close it off when it gets below about 10 degrees. Above that, our hounds prefer to have their heads out.
    You can go to biggamehoundsmen.com and do a search to look at some of the setups houndsmen use.

My 70 pound Golden Pyrenees rides in front of me on the tank of my Polaris snow machines. Sandwiched between my arms. When we take the wheelers, she rides in back surrounded by a rack so she doesn't fall out.
    I think being pulled behind a snow machine would be brutal on the dog unless the pull sled had an awesome suspension system. Even then, slowing down would be necessary.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.