Thread: Mathews Ovation????

Question Mathews Ovation????

I've been bowhunting since for about twenty years now and have owned roughly 4 bows in that timeframe. I'm not one to buy the latest and greatest. I have a long-time rifle hunting partner of mine who wants to get into archery (pretty much out of necessity due to weighted lottery gun tags where we're at). I'm wanting to start him out on a long axle/long brace height bow for two reasons 1. forgiveness 2. the open terrain hunting we'll be doing (prairie)

I found a bow that really fits the bill IMO the Mathews Ovation. 39.5 axle-to-axle with a 8 1/8" brace height. The bow is used and stripped. It is mint, no scratches, dings, frays, use marks of any kind. I was told it was two years old. It's at a big box store/ Mathews dealer. Price is $350

My problem is... I'm not a Mathews guy. I know very little about their products, other than everyone is on the Switchback bandwagon. Is this a good bow? Do you know of any flaws? Why did Mathews discontinue this line of bows? Fair price (supposed to MSRP new for $700)?

Side note: He isn't looking at buying anything new. He doesn't want to drop $1000 on a bow set-up, not knowing how well he'll like the sport. He's had four shoulder surgeries, so 60# pulls are max.

I'd appreciate any insight....
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Ovation, is a good bow, I still own one. They shoot very well. I have had no problems with mine at all. I bought mine the first year they came out. I use it for indoor and 3D shooting.

The reason they discontiued the bow is they have a newer, faster, smoother bow.

The draw back to this bow it is not a hunting bow. It will be a little noiser than hunting bows, not much but alittle.

It will cost you around $200.00 more to equip the bow.

Rest $40.
    Sight $70. you will need alot of pins for hunting in the prairie, I would say you will have long shoots, so you will need 5 to 7 pin sight.
    Stabilizer $35.
    Bow sling $10.
    Limb Savers $15.
    String leaches $5
    D-Loop $5
    Quiver $40

If I was you I would look on ebay and find a Mathews Outback fully set up. You can aquire one of these for around $500.00 which will be cheaper in the long run. The outback is a nice hunting bow, quick, quite and forgiving. Short axle to axle is made possible by a long riser. These bows are very forgiving. Well I will let you go for now. The ovation will make him a great bow. Hope this has helped. If you would like to look at Mathews bows on ebay click the link below.

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay....istingItemList

Excellent bow!! I shot one for 3d for 4 years. Its very forgiving and probably the smoothest bow mathews ever made, and I shoot a switchback now

I actually wish I never sold that bow. 350.00 seems like a fair price, but you could pick one up for less over on archerytalk.com

If you buddy is going to shoot fingers this would be a perfect bow for him!!

Hope this helps.

Default appreciate it.

thanks for the reply guys. Just the information I was looking for.

The noise factor concerns me. Is it something that some limbsaver modules, s-coil, string leaches, etc. could take care of? or is it more substantial than that?
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Limb saver and try the STS. Along with the cat whiskers. This should quiet your bow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by barko View Post
    Ovation, is a good bow, I still own one. They shoot very well. I have had no problems with mine at all. I bought mine the first year they came out. I use it for indoor and 3D shooting.

The reason they discontiued the bow is they have a newer, faster, smoother bow.

The draw back to this bow it is not a hunting bow. It will be a little noiser than hunting bows, not much but alittle.

It will cost you around $200.00 more to equip the bow.

Rest $40.
    Sight $70. you will need alot of pins for hunting in the prairie, I would say you will have long shoots, so you will need 5 to 7 pin sight.
    Stabilizer $35.
    Bow sling $10.
    Limb Savers $15.
    String leaches $5
    D-Loop $5
    Quiver $40

If I was you I would look on ebay and find a Mathews Outback fully set up. You can aquire one of these for around $500.00 which will be cheaper in the long run. The outback is a nice hunting bow, quick, quite and forgiving. Short axle to axle is made possible by a long riser. These bows are very forgiving. Well I will let you go for now. The ovation will make him a great bow. Hope this has helped. If you would like to look at Mathews bows on ebay click the link below.

http://sporting-goods.listings.ebay....istingItemList

They did the same thing with the Lx last year.Wean the Snitch back came out.And of course here comes the drenalin.The two are faster but IMO not as good as the Lx