Thread: 150 HP Honda Comments

Question 150 HP Honda Comments

Is anyone out there in forumville running a Honda 150 that would care to comment on its performance? I've never been around them so I'm curious if they are the best thing since shirt pockets; maintenance hoes or are they under qualified for boat anchors?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have been running a 150 Honda since 2005,, have never had any issues with it. Not the best for a jet IMHO,, but it is a beast with the prop. Very good on fuel, used 230 gallons on a Koyukuk run over 1000 miles.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid, how much of that trip was with the prop vs the jet?

Quote Originally Posted by BMhunts View Post
    Stid, how much of that trip was with the prop vs the jet?
    All prop.....
    Founding Member

Awesome engines. I have heard them described as Honda Civic engines with a lower unit. Not sure if that is true or not, but so long as you treat them right they seem to return the favor.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I have a 150 Honda I haven't had it long though. It's given me no trouble besides having a clog in the water line I'm dealing with right now. I run a jet and average around 3mpg.

Stid, I was wanting to get a prop lower unit for mine. Where did you find yours at? What mpg are you getting with the prop?

Quote Originally Posted by BMhunts View Post
    I have a 150 Honda I haven't had it long though. It's given me no trouble besides having a clog in the water line I'm dealing with right now. I run a jet and average around 3mpg.

Stid, I was wanting to get a prop lower unit for mine. Where did you find yours at? What mpg are you getting with the prop?
    About 4.5 fully loaded. Bought the lower unit from the Boat Shop in Fairbanks, lowers are usually hard to find as they remove them to install jet lowers. Think I paid 1500 or so in 2007 I think.

Also with the jet my 150 is a dog,, will only step about 1/4 of what the prop will. I have never been able to load enough to not get on step with the prop.
    Founding Member

Had a pair of 150's on a Koffler. For recreational use they're okay, commercial or racking up hours? Stay away from them.
    Thrust bearing failure is common on their outboards 150 & up, (resulting from hanging a car engine vertically when it was not originally designed for that purpose) with the 150's the most infamous showing excessive crankshaft end play tolerances in less than 1000 hrs. Spoke to Honda corporate about this and their reply "yes we are aware of the issue. very unfortunate but your motors are out of warranty". One of 3 Honda shops I talked to about a new powerhead actually recommended I repower with Suzuki's.
    There's a boat I know of that's on its 7th 150, the motors self destruct under warranty so they just keep slapping new ones on.
    I've had other Honda products (numerous generators, mowers) and love em but you couldn't pay me to put their outboards on my boat.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978