Thread: Wolf and Coyotes

Default Wolf and Coyotes

I'm looking at bagging a wolf and coyote this winter and was wondering how does everyone skin off the pelt? Also do you just send it to a taxidermist or do you do something yourself. I'm new to this so any info will be great! Thanks!

Dermont

Most folks skin there catch themselves. If you just want to display your hide by hanging it on the wall you would probably "case skin" it. I'm not going to attempt to explain how it's done. Just google "case skinning a coyote" or better yet look it up on Youtube. You might also call a local taxidermist and ask them if you can watch them skin out a coyote or wolf. They often enjoy teaching a newbie how to properly skin an animal. Very few people tan there own hides. Send it to a tannery, such as Moyle's. Skinning, fleshing, and stretching the hide takes a lot of time, but it's worth it. Shoot straight...

Just to add a bit, I skinned my first coyote after watching a few YouTube videos and it wasn't all that hard, I highly recommend a Havalon knife and a hobby knife.

I have played with home tanning a bit and I wouldn't hesitate to do a coyote. I would sen a wolf out to Furs for Fun or Moyles. Moyles did my first coyote, It was case skinned and turned out fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I know Moyle's wants salted hides. Do you just leave the hide turned inside out with salt on it? And Limon how did you do your own hides? Stretch board?

Any time you ship a hide it needs to be preserved somehow. The two most commoner methods are fleshed, stretched, dried or fleshed, salted.

I made my own stretching board based off dimensions from the NAFTA website, they have a great fur handling guide for free.

I've done it both ways, don't really have a preference on method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By far the most common method for trappers to send hides to the tannery is fleshed, stretched, and dried. Moyle's does not care if the hide is turned in or out when they recieve it and I've sent them both ways. They just want it completely DRY. When I say dried, I mean most folks just let the hide dry on the stretcher board - no salt. Again, probably Youtube vids on how to flesh, stretch, and dry coyote or wolf hides.

sounds like I got some youtubein to do! Thanks guys for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    By far the most common method for trappers to send hides to the tannery is fleshed, stretched, and dried. Moyle's does not care if the hide is turned in or out when they recieve it and I've sent them both ways. They just want it completely DRY. When I say dried, I mean most folks just let the hide dry on the stretcher board - no salt. Again, probably Youtube vids on how to flesh, stretch, and dry coyote or wolf hides.
    Good point emphasizing dry, your fur is going to sit in a tub at room temp until they have a batch to do, if its not dry it will slip!