Thread: Whittier Tunnel Closing Nov 17-18.

Eagle River

Default Whittier Tunnel Closing Nov 17-18.

Just thought I would share and maybe save someone some agony of spending another night in Whittier. The tunnel will be closing at 7PM on the 17th and 18th. It will reopen the next AM at 7:30...

Here is a cut and paste of the email I got:

Whittier Tunnel Night Closures for Alaska Railroad Maintenance Work
    11/12/14 The Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel will be closed for the evening of Monday, November 17th and Tuesday, November 18th for major maintenance on the Alaska Rail Road lines. The tunnel closure will begin each of the two evenings at 7:00 p.m. and reopen at 7:30 a.m.
    For more information, please contact ADOT&PF at 907-472-2584.
    The Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities oversees 254 airports, 11 ferries serving 35 communities, 5,619 miles of highway and 720 public facilities throughout the state of Alaska. The mission of the department is to Keep Alaska Moving through service and infrastructure.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Eagle River, Alaska,

Great info. Thanks.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing

Yea, I went over there one evening last summer (maybe the summer before) and planned on hitting the 10pm tunnel what it was closed for the night. When I went through earlier in the day, no one said anything about an early closing. Luckily I had a nice place to stay (my boat in the harbor). It was still pretty annoying. Hopefully they are warning people on their way in this time.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    Fully Loaded