Thread: Black Bear Paws

Default Black Bear Paws

I have noticed most people here have about a 1/2 bear mount using front shoulders and head. Is there any use for the back claws and how do you remove them? If there is a use for them I might can get a set in the future.

Palmer, Alaska, United States

Cast Iron, it is not uncommon for folks to want the rear claws from the bear. Easiest way to remove them is to rehydrate the feet in a pail of warm water and then cut them away from the skin. If you live in the palmer wasilla area you can bring your skin by my shop and I can show you how it's done.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

JuliW thanks for your offer but I live on the east coast. We have only had a black bear season here for a few years and most of the people that kill them has a mount of some kind fixed. Almost none of them use the rear claws and a couple have offered to give them away in the past. I just wanted to know if there was a use for them and how to remove them if someone offered them to me again. I got to come to your state a few years ago and fish. I caught a 45 lb. King, a limit of Halibut, and several other salmon while I was there. I hope to return again soon. I left your state with memories that will last the rest of my life. Thanks!