Thread: Any Walther PP and PPK experts here?

Default Any Walther PP and PPK experts here?

I have been hankering for an older PP or PPK...
    Any experts here have ideas on what to stay away from and what to search out..???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Am not an expert at anything, and have never held a PP. My Grandfather brought a German officers PPK back from the war, and for a long time I owned a 1990's vintage stainless PPK/S which was of identical design as the original (nothing to improve on, IMHO). I'm quite fond of them. They're extremely well engineered little pistols, IMO. Can't really speak to the quality of newer ones since S&W got the license, but can highly recommend the earlier ones. Can't speak to what to look for as far as collectables, but mechanically there's not a lot to go wrong with them. A basic visual/functional inspection should serve to ensure a reliable shooter.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I'm hardly an expert, but i've had several of the type and I'm a fan of it.

The best I had was a pre-war in .32ACP (7.65 Browning)- solid gun all the way. The worst was a late war .380- not sure about where it was made but it was pretty rough. A couple of Interams era .380s worked just fine.

Then I got my hands on the Sig P230.... and that become my favorite "little" gun- essentially a Walther type with Sig's operating system. To this day one of the most accurate pistols I've owned.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

No expert but PP full size,PPK is like the commander size compared to the full size and the PPKS is the post 1968 GCA size to import.PPKS shorter barrel with longer PP type grip frame. If you want SS stick with interarms and for blued Zella-Mehlis or Ulm Dou just looks good on a pistol.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You might like to look at the Mauser HSC in true form,not chear copy. To me they are a nicer gun for shooting
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'm only expert enough to know they're neat little guns.

I shoot it infrequently, but my PPK never jams. It is a Post War model, in 380. It bangs the 2nd knuckle of my thumb and isn't THAT pleasant to shoot. I'm happy with it, nonetheless, and the workmanship, fit and finish, is fantastic.

The PPK/S or the PP may be more pleasant to shoot because they have a longer grip than the PPKs.

As you probably know, the PPK/S has the frame size of the PP, with the barrel/slide of the PPK, imported because of the need to comply with GCA68.

I use mine for one of my CC guns.

If I was to buy new, I'd go with the ones made by S&W, probably a PPK/S ??? I'm not sure what is available.

If I just wanted another 308 Auto Pistol, I'd probably go with the Walther PK380, but that would be a shot in the dark, there.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a pre war ppk in 32 but I'm no expert. It's well built but the plastic grips on these are known to break easily.

oh, that sounds interesting....

I had some guy form the east coast send me some nice photos of some PPs and PPKs he has for sale that were made between 1938 and 1942. The prices are SHOCKING....

Amigo Will,,,,I have not seen an HSC for sale in many years... I used to have one 30 years ago,,,, it was fun to shoot.

Oh well,,, maybe something interesting will come along one day...

I've owned a couple post war German PPK/s 380's over the years and have been very pleased. The pre-war and wartime guns have increased in value enough to generally preclude their use as carry guns. However, there are a fair number of post war guns out there, still at reasonable prices. That being said, there are also a number of comparably sized 9mm pistols on the market. My current use PPK/s:estate 1.jpgI generally have this when I visit Los Anchorage.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I was eyeballing this little gal for a very brief period of time. Made around 1940 with issue stamps. But the current owner thinks is is worth about as much as my truck... So I will pass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would be very suspicious about the caliber marking on that one. It appears altered, and the Germans were pretty meticulous about that kind of thing.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I've been in love with the PPKs since I owned a prewar .22, brown grips, gold plated hammer trigger and safety that would shoot X rings at 25 yards offf the bench. Now, I should of had my rear end kick when I let that one go but, traded it for a four digit 1911.Ohhh the guns of my past?
    Steve