Thread: Have a question on Kayaking

Default Have a question on Kayaking

This may seem like a stupid question but here it goes. If a river has 2500cfs flow would a Kayak be able to travel up stream? Does anyone have some insight on this issue.

It really depends on the gradient of the stretch you are looking to paddle up. Volume alone cannot answer your question.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Also depends on what kind of kayak you're talking about, and how far upstream you need to go. Hard shells will be easier to paddle upstream than inflatables. You can jump between eddies and do some lining, too. But as DannerAK says, gradient is crucial, as is river type (braided?) and width/bank type (2500 cfs through a narrow, steep-walled canyon would not be as easy as the same volume meandering through a wide floodplain).

I really appreciate your help but I wasn't much help on the question. What I was trying to find out the speed/flow of a river and just couldn't figure out a MPH it is. What I would like to do is get one and try it on the Yellowstone river. This would be done in late summer early fall when it really slows up. If it runs at 8 miles per hour just wondering how hard it would be to go up stream. I would like to portage to a few spots but not sure if I could get back to my start point. Sorry for trying to get some answers and not knowing the speed of this river.

Paddling against 8 mph water would be a near death experience suffering wise, that's pretty darn fast water.
    Why are you wanting to boat up a stream?
    You will also need a long skinny boat, a whitewater packraft would fail miserably, your not going to eddy hop any great distances either. Roll one up though, hike, and then float down, much easier.

Mark it would be for accessing parts of the river. I'm looking for small craft that I can carry and get to the river by myself. I would need to go up stream where I can get on the river so that is why I asked. I have land on the river edge but it would impossible to have a boat with motor to get it down there and back out. Thanks

How fast is the current? I assume that since your location says MT that there are no tidal influences? How far do you have to go? How far is the hike into the river? Can you use wheels on a kayak or canoe or when you say carry, you literally mean carry? Finally how deep is the water? Sry for all the questions.

I can do about 3.5 to 4 knots fairly comfortably for a mile let's say using my mirage pedal drive sit on top kayaks. Requires 18inches of water for full power though. If you had that depth, they have electric motor driven kayaks as well.

In the slower waters, I can move upstream on the Kenai River (middle and lower) for about a quarter of a mile before getting winded but frankly it would be faster dragging it on land at that point. But I know guys that fish the slower (but still pretty powerful) Columbia River in WA/OR and they go up and down it without too much issue.

I use these wheels to move my kayak around (which is about 80 pounds loaded and one of the heavier models)
    IMAGE_1286.jpg

It is about 8 MPH and depth is bout 6 foot average in main current. I would be along the back to portage about 1/2 mile or so. I have access on my land but access along the river is very limited. I would carry or a set of wheels like you have would work to get it to river edge. A motor would be an option. Is a sit on top is what I thing I would want. I would like to fish from u also.

8mph is too much. That's is a pretty swiftly flowing river. Way past the hull speed of every Sit on top kayaks I'm aware of. It's probably too heavy and I've never used one but there are now powered kayaks line th Mokai or this one. But now you are getting into really tiny boats. http://www.atlanticextremewatersport...jet-kayak.html

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Thanks for all the help. The jet/Kayak is interesting but would go with a canoe and electric motor instead. I need small craft that I can get in and out with one person.

If you have doubts about the ' do-a-bil- a- tee" of navigating a stretch of water, go with your gut. if you have a lot of experience that`s one thing.

If not, the out come could be wet to say the least.

The only problem`s I have in Florida is not the current but rather Gators.