Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting blacktails in sitka

Default Hunting blacktails in sitka

I just found out that I am going to be able to get thanksgiving week off! So I am planning a quick trip to Sitka for blacktails. I have been looking at maps and talking to people for quite a while as a hunt I would like to do some time. I am going to make the time now. Does anyone have any advice as to which deer call to use or special gear to bring. I have done a lot of hunting and hiking around Alaska but never southeast. Should be fun. Thanks

I have tried the Primos Long Can a few times and it didn't have them charging in but it seemed like it got their attention. Simple to use and pack.

It's been super rainy! Grundens, tuffs & tarp. =)

Quote Originally Posted by jubilation View Post
    It's been super rainy! Grundens, tuffs & tarp. =)
    Maybe a week ago, but the weather lately has been amazing! Been sunny for almost a week, with a great forecast ahead.

As far as deer calls, a doe/fawn bleat call will be your most productive call here during the rut. Don't bother with grunts are antler rattling unless you're doing it for the novelty.

Going out the next couple days--not doing any calling but will let you know what we see!

Thanks that would be great. I am getting excited and makes work seem much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rntim View Post
    Going out the next couple days--not doing any calling but will let you know what we see!
    Why not? Perfect time to be blowing the call. Buddies have been calling in plenty of does/webs/forkys. I called in 3 last Saturday. Nothing too big to talk about this year yet. My buddy and I went hunting 2 weeks ago and he shot a 3x3 with double eye guards...that one wasn't called in though.

called in a couple on admiralty......it is definitley on. Got a nice fork trailing a doe.

Having never been to Sitka and knowing nearly nothing about it, other than it looks beautiful, do you guys have to travel very far to get into some good hunting, or can a person do ok not far from town?

Just curious.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hunted the south end of Admiralty end of oct for a week. Rut wasn't going on yet and we didn't have a single deer come to the calls. Slowly walking and glassing got us 4 bucks.

Hunted Sitka 3 times. All great hunts. Fawn bleat from Sportsmans , bring two pair of rain gear. I hope your staying in a forest cabin with good heat or on a boat. I prefer the ones with wood stoves. I wouldn't even consider a tent hunt for deer out of Sitka. I usually fly about 30 minutes out of town with Harris Air.

Don't rule out tents if you have a wall tent. Just finished a four day trip on admiralty with an 8x10 and a good wood stove. Was able to keep two little kids and three big kids dry and warmed up. Sleep in personal tents with tarp stretched over, separate cook tarp, use wall tent for warming up, eating dinner, playing cards, drying clothes. As close to home as you're gonna get without four hard walls. Duraflame logs are must.

Went out last Wednesday for the day with a friend... Have a moose in the freezers so we were just looking for something special but most of all to enjoy the weather. Had four does come to the call ( two in a hurry and two sneakers). Later in the morning had a fork with eyeguards sneak into thirty yards and we enjoyed watching him stare at the dog wondering what it was. Shortly afterward in a nearby muskeg had a 3-4 year old brown bear come in....spooked it off and continued calling which brought a doe and a webhead. Great weather to be outdoors!

Tips for Sitka area:

-bring rainwear!
    -unless you are going to alpine, leave binos/ rangefinder/ spotting scopes in the boat. Most shots are way under 100 yards and the animals are well within naked eye range. Minimize weight carried.
    - avoid unthinned clearcut. There is nothing for them to eat in there as the canopy is choked out. Plus, you don't want to end up in there lol!
    - most hunters are cruising the beach. Super boring. Get boots on the ground and move through the terrain, stopping occasionally to blow the call.
    - be bear aware. This isn't kodiak where the shot means dinner but they are around. This year the salmon runs were NOT strong in the local watersheds and the current bear activity shows it. Don't be paranoid, just aware.
    - They live literally everywhere around here and in great density so just have fun and be safe!

Photo is from last year as we didn't get any moose we were hungry!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcod View Post
    Photo is from last year as we didn't get any moose we were hungry!
    A classic whack 'em 'n stack 'n photo . . . I never get invited on one of those buck fests.

So what is the norm daily routine for deer hunting this time of year. We are heading to Kodiak with the kiddos in a week and we are going in blind. I am assuming it is important to be in the field right before daylight and also right before dark? I am reading on here where most huntiers move real slow and also long periods of being stationary and just using your eyes? So how do you use and how often on the doe/fawn bleat? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    So what is the norm daily routine for deer hunting this time of year. We are heading to Kodiak with the kiddos in a week and we are going in blind. I am assuming it is important to be in the field right before daylight and also right before dark? I am reading on here where most huntiers move real slow and also long periods of being stationary and just using your eyes? So how do you use and how often on the doe/fawn bleat? Thanks!
    Down here in SE, it's not totally necessary to hunt the dawn/dusk. Heck last weekend, the bucks we saw were between 1-2pm. As far as a norm. routine for deer hunting, everyone is different. Some guys just burn up loads of gas and cruise the beaches all day...productive but boring and lame. I like to hunt big timber and muskegs. Find a nice area with good visibility. I blow the call 3 times and then wait for 5-10 minutes and blow it again. After the second time I'll wait 10+ minutes. If it produces nothing it's a slow/focused walk up to the next good area to call in.

It's hard to describe how to blow the fawn bleat, but there are some youtube videos that will show some decent examples I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post

It's hard to describe how to blow the fawn bleat, but there are some youtube videos that will show some decent examples I'm sure...
    Hmm I could make a tutorial but... don't really want to "give the milk away for free"... I'll bring my video camera with me this weekend and see what happens.

Recent buck (11/21/14) for my buddy Steve..... Great buck for a great guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Hmm I could make a tutorial but... don't really want to "give the milk away for free"...
    I thought this forum was about sharing, teaching and helping others? Does anyone really think that helping somebody figure out a doe bleat is going to be the difference between the one-and-only deer out there?

Here's a little video I whipped up last night. Its from some of the deer hunting my dad and I did just before Thanksgiving.

http://youtu.be/pFMhgt4lxfA

The first sequence I had just turned on the camera and sat down and my dad began to call. I kinda think his calling is a little too invasive/aggressive/too much calling, but he called in and shot a really big buck yesterday morning so what do I know The doe came charging in quite quickly and I edited out the next 8 or 9 minutes we continued to call and play with her, hoping she would draw a buck out of the timber but to no avail.

The second sequence is my typical first call. I use a Hank Masters call and there is a rubber band stretched which vibrates at whatever pitch you stretch it to. I've made calls by hand at the house before I got the pre-made. Lotta guys down here like em, have only seen them for sale a few times at Rayco in Juneau. When calling I typically do three or four bleats in the first opening call, then wait a few minutes, probably don't wait long enough then do another 2 or 3 bleats.

The bit of me dragging the deer out: Dad and I had sat down in the muskeg looking towards area we hadn't walked in yet, did the same thing as in the timber calling clip, and before I was even done with my opening 3 bleats I heard sticks cracking behind me, right from where we had just walked. Thought for sure it was a bear following us (a few still awake looking for Thanksgiving feast?) but it was this little 2 point. Had to be quite close to us in the woods to come so quickly, I shot it at approx 30 feet.

IMHO, I think that no matter the pitch of the call, or apparently how much you call/what type of pattern you use when calling - if an interested deer is close by it will come investigate. Big bucks, or call-wary bucks may be more hesitant and you might have to dial in your calling, which is hard and mostly trial and error. I try to call with the quiet side of my call initially, the big box end to my mouth. If I turn it around it makes a slightly higher pitch but way way louder sound. In theory if there is a buck close, it will hear that and not be frightened by the loudness. I've used the megaphone to call to bucks a few hundred yards away in clear cuts where the quiet side may have been lost in the wind or snow.

Also if a buck is slow to come to the call (wary) and then sees you move, hears a human sound, or smells you they can slip away awful quick. I try to hunt into the wind, stay as still and quiet as I can (besides call noise), and get a good vantage point so I don't have to look around so much and can hopefully see a deer before it figures out something isnt right. Having some one with you probably triples the amount of sound made hiking from spot to spot, but the extra pair of eyes makes up for it, especially in timber.

Hope this is helpful to those just starting to hunt deer. Any other deer calling aficionado's that have a bit of film? Youtube is pretty sparse on the calling of Sitka Blacktails. Sure are a lot of boring tree-stand cornfield grunt can hunting ones though...

-Hoonahtic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast