Thread: N320 for 44 Mag

Default N320 for 44 Mag

Anyone ever used this powder under 240gr XTP's for 44 mag?

Looks like pretty fast for 44mag. Would be OK for light loads.
    I use a lot of N-110 for 44 mag.......................

Vihtavouri quote,

N320
    "A comparatively fast burning multipurpose handgun powder with burning rate about the same as Winchester 231 or Alliant Red Dot. Currently available reloading data for 9 mm Luger, .38 Super Auto, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .45 ACP and .45 Colt."
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Just started using it. 10.3 gr with a 240xtp. Its accurate out of my 5.5 SBH. Meters real good out of the measure and is darn clean too. Gonna give it a try on a whitetail this weekend. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    ................... 10.3 gr with a 240xtp. Its accurate out of my 5.5 SBH. ..................

Vihtavuori shows 9.7 MAX for 240 gr. JTC-SIL............I don't know how that compares to a 240 XTP......

Use caution.................
    "The older I get, the better I was."

And you are correct sir! I misspoke. I am loading 200gr XTP's.

Haven't tried it, but a bud of mine really likes it from shorter barrels- less flash and not so loud (according to him). No chrono reports from him, but he says he shoots it better simply because it's easier on the bod. Dunno. I've certainly added it to the list to try, since my carry gun is a 4" 44.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Haven't tried it, but a bud of mine really likes it from shorter barrels- less flash and not so loud (according to him). No chrono reports from him, but he says he shoots it better simply because it's easier on the bod. Dunno. I've certainly added it to the list to try, since my carry gun is a 4" 44.
    BB you carry a Smith? I carried one of the Elmer Keith commemorative models for a while, however it got to be worth some money so I traded it for two of something else. I've thought about getting a short barreled RedHawk for a carry gun. It could be a for going to church hide em gun!

I retired from splicing phone wires 7 years ago. Right after retiring I had carpal tunnel syndrome so bad in my right wrist/hand that I gave up on shooting my 44 and went to a 41. My hand is much better now and I'm back to shooting my 44 a lot. It's amazing what powder choices are out there that were non existent just 7 years ago. I have tried and like Lil'gun and will give this N320 a try too, if I can find any. I always liked Blu Dot as well. I've killed near 50 deer with a handgun and have come to the conclusion that they don't know 1100 feet per second from 1600 feet per second so long as you land the bullet where it's meant to land. Therefore I quit using the two(which I think are the same H110 and Win 296) that give highest velocity but are diiiirty!

Fishnhunt, have you chronyed any 200 grainers launched with N320? I shoot a 5.5 incher too so was just wondering!

I'm using it in a 5 1/2 SBH. It's like shooting 44SP load in a heavy handgun. I have not chronyed this load yet Elmer. I'm not loading it max so I expect it possibly 100fps less than what the book says. Just a guess though.