Thread: where to start?

Default where to start?

I posted here a few months ago before I moved up. It was my dream to come to Alaska, to see the vast expanse of wilderness and to experience the hunting and fishing. Perhaps I was naive in this regard because it's been almost half a year and I haven't done any hunting or fishing, but it's still been a life changing experience. It is by far the most challenging thing I've ever done. So far the cold weather hasn't been that bad either. I'm going to stick around.

What would be a good way to ease into Alaska hunting? I'll get my residency in June, and it's pretty overwhelming when you look at all the big game possibilities, especially when you consider the cost of getting there and back.

I was looking at starting with deer hunting, which would be about a year from now. Is it worth it for the trip alone, or is that something most people do as an added bonus during a bear hunt or elk hunt? Or would it be easier to do a caribou hunt?

Start training now and chase black bears in the mountains next fall.

Get yourself an Alaska air miles card and you have an instant Adak ticket for caribou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd suggest starting to hunt small game right where you're at and figure out what you can hunt feasibly in your area. Traveling to hunt can be fun...and expensive.

Black bears are found over much of the state as well as moose. Not sure about caribou near Ft. Yukon but they can't be too far.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I remember your prior posts - congrats on making it and surviving in Ft. Yukon! You might want to start out by cultivating some relationships with other local hunters and then subsequently accompanying them on a hunt. I assuming that you are a teacher in Ft. Yukon - perhaps one of your peers would also like to hunt. I have never lived in Ft. Yukon, only passed thru on my way to the Brooks but my experience is that many of the locals might resent your hunting "their" game so it is a subject I would carefully broach to any of the local native residents. Many people start their Alaskan hunting with moose or caribou. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrek86 View Post
    So far the cold weather hasn't been that bad either.
    So far... Wait until January.

A snow machine or boat would open up a lot of country for you.

I spent nearly five years in Ft Yukon in the early 80's and wish I had done more hunting. A snowmobile and/or ATV are must have items. I always had at least a .22 pistol when I headed to Sucker Slough as there were always grouse to be had. Lots of hares too. Fishing for Burbot and Pike in the Slough is a gas. At the mouth, toss a spoon into the river and catch Sheefish, they are great. My first moose was there, a winter hunt on snowmobile, and he was 68"...tough as dried leather though. A fly in, drop off for caribou will be far less expensive than a flight to SE AK for deer. You are in the heart of some great opportunities if you take the time to go out and have fun. There are tons of winter trails and summer trail that you can go and explore. The most important item is your camera!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I spent nearly five years in Ft Yukon in the early 80's and wish I had done more hunting. A snowmobile and/or ATV are must have items. I always had at least a .22 pistol when I headed to Sucker Slough as there were always grouse to be had. Lots of hares too. Fishing for Burbot and Pike in the Slough is a gas. At the mouth, toss a spoon into the river and catch Sheefish, they are great. My first moose was there, a winter hunt on snowmobile, and he was 68"...tough as dried leather though. A fly in, drop off for caribou will be far less expensive than a flight to SE AK for deer. You are in the heart of some great opportunities if you take the time to go out and have fun. There are tons of winter trails and summer trail that you can go and explore. The most important item is your camera!
    Are you talking about that area a little outside of the village where the large creek with clear water hits the Porcupine? I've been by there once if that's it. What did you use for a fishing pole? I've heard of people using the ugly stick because of the durability.

Most of the natives here that hunt caribou fly up on Warbelos to Arctic Village and stay with cousins (I've learned not to say anything bad about anyone because everyone is a cousin with everyone, even with people in other villages). That would probably be the easiest option, but I think all of the hunting is on Arctic Village tribal land so not sure how that works for nonmembers.

It depends on who you ask, but I think most a lot of the land around FYU is GZ Corp, and I've heard different stories about what you can and can't do, and most of it falls in what you can't do. I'll try and find out more to see if there is something around here I can hunt, or if it's restricted.

For fly-in fly-out hunts, do you know of any pilots who serve this area?

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I remember your prior posts - congrats on making it and surviving in Ft. Yukon! You might want to start out by cultivating some relationships with other local hunters and then subsequently accompanying them on a hunt. I assuming that you are a teacher in Ft. Yukon - perhaps one of your peers would also like to hunt. I have never lived in Ft. Yukon, only passed thru on my way to the Brooks but my experience is that many of the locals might resent your hunting "their" game so it is a subject I would carefully broach to any of the local native residents. Many people start their Alaskan hunting with moose or caribou. Good luck.
    Yes, you are right about the locals and their view of game. It's their game, laws be dammed. During the summer when king fishing was closed I saw some poached moose in town, but people need to eat. I tried some moose head soup a few weeks ago, and the natives leave nothing to waste.

For moose hunting the barrier to entry is high. You need a truck, trailer, and boat to be independent on the Yukon! If the future is anything like what I've experienced so far, then that will be a very tough barrier to cross to get in with a local for a hunt. Not impossible though, especially if I open the wallet and buy gas. Success seems to be very high, in September everyone who left on a hunt came back with a moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtrek86 View Post
    For fly-in fly-out hunts, do you know of any pilots who serve this area?
    Kirk Sweetsir with Yukon Air is based out of Fort Yukon in the summer and fall months. Excellent pilot.

You might talk to the pastor over at the AG church there in Fort Yukon. He's a hunter and might have some ideas for overcoming entry barriers for someone in your situation.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

In Ft Yukon they are usually pretty enthusiastic abou helping you kill bear. Set up a bait station this Spring.