Thread: Pros and Cons of posting signs on your trap line.

Default Pros and Cons of posting signs on your trap line.

I'm new to trapping and in my scouting for a place to trap I have seen areas with signs and others that are being trapped but not marked. What are the pros and cons of posting signs along your trap line?

I have two signs on my line, one at the main trailhead and the other where the trail continues on. The one on the trailhead reads............Trapping season is open.............Please be respectful of your fellow sportsman. It is a $500 fine for removing or tampering with a trap or snare, smile you are on camera : ) If you have questions please call -------- or if you wish to report a violation contact the Troopers --------- and I tac a troopers business card on the sign.
    I have done this for the past 5 years and have had zero conflict. Have had a few new trappers call me and ask for guidance on areas that might be available.
    The pros.....lets other users know your in the area. Most people are respectful and won't mess with your gear.
    The con's.........Just the opposite of stated above

I also post my line with signs at most trail openings. Not many cons, the pros are MOST people respect and stay out durring season. Also you would be surprised on how many mushers will go down trails they had never been on before and get their dogs caught. I think signs are a good idea to educate the public..

As a former musher and now trapper, I agree with what Steve said. I was always looking for new trails to train dogs on. If I came up on a snowgo track into a new area, I was always wanting to go explore it. I never had a problem, but I can see how it could happen. I don't use many trail sets for that reason alone. Thats just me and not saying that you shouldn't use trail sets.

There's alot of mushers in my area and I don't want to deal with snapping a MB750 on a sled dog. I have never posted signs because I believed that there were people in the area that were up to no good and would mess with stuff. I think this year I will post them though.

From the recreational users perspective, I think trail sets on straightaways, with bypass trails, are perfectly acceptable, provided you posted signage, and especially if you clearly state you have trail sets. Trail sets without signage are not cool IMHO. Most of the country is just not remote enough to get away with that anymore.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Had I known that someone had been trapping the crevasse moraine trail system near the main trailhead I would have found my dogs an easy 4-5 days earlier than I did last month. Probably wouldn't have cost me nearly as much in vet bills either. As a guy with a couple hunting dogs I appreciate the heck out of people providing written warning. It would be nice if some trappers would be aware of other users and try and target animals that will limit conflict. Marten pole sets for instance can be placed right near a trail with significant pet traffic and the odds of conflict are very low.

another advantage is, expecially in this area, alot of sets arent very obvious, particularly on a year like this with no snow yet, if joe blow was running some sets on a trail, and i come along on hte same trail the next day and go about making my sets, unbenonst to me there is another trapper on the trail, it would save alot of irritated people knowing that that spot is "taken" its happened to me before, kinda sucks.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Had I known that someone had been trapping the crevasse moraine trail system near the main trailhead I would have found my dogs an easy 4-5 days earlier than I did last month. Probably wouldn't have cost me nearly as much in vet bills either. As a guy with a couple hunting dogs I appreciate the heck out of people providing written warning. It would be nice if some trappers would be aware of other users and try and target animals that will limit conflict. Marten pole sets for instance can be placed right near a trail with significant pet traffic and the odds of conflict are very low.
    Your dogs were caught in traps last month (oct.), Lu? Was there an open season in your area?
    Trappers prefer to target the species that are available in numbers in the area they are trapping. Marten sets only work if there are marten to catch.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!