Thread: Best Book or Handbook on Alaska Trapping

Default Best Book or Handbook on Alaska Trapping

Hello All, This is the first time I have posted on the trapping forum, and I hope you all can help. I just purchased some land this year, and wanted to try a little trapping. I have no experience trapping in Alaska, the only experience I have is setting snares for coyote and live traps from racoons in Indiana. Instead of you guys giving all your secrets on this public forum, I would be glad to except PMs. Best yet, I would like to know the best book or handbook for Alaska trapping. Marten, fox, wolf, coyote, and maybe even bear. Any help works, thanks a bunch.

Joe

The Alaska Trappers Manual is a good place to start. Used to be able to get it in your local bookstore. Maybe still can. It's available from the AOD store: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/a...anual&cPath=63 Also here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rapping.manual
    and here: http://www.alaskatrappers.org/handbook.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    The Alaska Trappers Manual is a good place to start. Used to be able to get it in your local bookstore. Maybe still can. It's available from the AOD store: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/a...anual&cPath=63 Also here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rapping.manual
    and here: http://www.alaskatrappers.org/handbook.html
    I got it from here, it's a decent start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many acres are you working? What kind of terrain is it?

You can pick up theAlaska Trappers Manual at Alaska Range Trapping Supply in Eagle River behind Boondocks. They also have everything you would need to get started and they are very helpful.

Thanks for all the replies, and I will pick one of those manuals up. Buckwild, like I said I am just beginning.haha. I have a 20 ACRE lot, with permission to trap on my sourounding neighbors as well. Typical Talkeetna wilderness, big susitna flood plains, and big trees.

Joe

I am not an expert on trapping or have the vast knowledge as do most of the trappers on this forum but for what its worth, if you are just starting out and want to see if its for you, I would recomend starting with Ermine and weasels. They are plentyful and easy to trap and you can get away with using inexpensive 110's and rat traps to start. I started my kids out on traplines where we exclusively trapped these critters. They were very sucessful and learned alot the first year. Now they have moved on to Martens, and are looking forward to some fox sets this year. They are much better trappers than myself and all it really took was a little bit of success. They will set for hours and make there own snares so they can snare rabbits and squirrels for bait. Imho there is no better incentive than to have early success right from the start there is nothing like walking up to one of your very first sets and finding a nice little fur bearer in your box. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    I am not an expert on trapping or have the vast knowledge as do most of the trappers on this forum but for what its worth, if you are just starting out and want to see if its for you, I would recomend starting with Ermine and weasels. They are plentyful and easy to trap and you can get away with using inexpensive 110's and rat traps to start. I started my kids out on traplines where we exclusively trapped these critters. They were very sucessful and learned alot the first year. Now they have moved on to Martens, and are looking forward to some fox sets this year. They are much better trappers than myself and all it really took was a little bit of success. They will set for hours and make there own snares so they can snare rabbits and squirrels for bait. Imho there is no better incentive than to have early success right from the start there is nothing like walking up to one of your very first sets and finding a nice little fur bearer in your box. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    I'll second that! I started trapping last year, managed to trap 3 ermine and it was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i live up sorta by you, caswell area.. best bang for your buck IMO is a half dozen 120 connibears or number 1 long springs. 120swould be better if your just checking traps on the weekend or what ever. with those you can catch mink ermine muskrat and marten, get a sheet of 3/4 plywood or a few 1x6's and make some marten and ermine boxes.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    i live up sorta by you, caswell area.. best bang for your buck IMO is a half dozen 120 connibears or number 1 long springs. 120swould be better if your just checking traps on the weekend or what ever. with those you can catch mink ermine muskrat and marten, get a sheet of 3/4 plywood or a few 1x6's and make some marten and ermine boxes.
    Are there blue prints, or specs for these marten boxes? why need a box?

Plenty of plans on the internet for boxes. Goto youtube the have a ton of videos. Boxes are a great way to keep the snow off of your traps.