Thread: Browning BLR Thoughts?

Default Browning BLR Thoughts?

Hello Forum members!

I wanted to know if anyone out there has or has had a Browning BLR. I am thinking about getting one and wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks a ton!

Longkj

There are a couple of iterations, but I've most experience with a blued barrel and aluminum receiver model, the "Lightning" I think it is called. Accurate enough, lightweight and handy doesn't miss the mark very far. They're difficult to reassemble, and wouldn't be my pick for a primary hunting rifle.

If I was buying one for AK, it'd be SS and laminate.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Well made guns but come needing trigger work and slicking up. I was told by more than one BLR owner I was the only guy in Alaska that would do triggers on them, don't know why cuz I don't find them hard to fix. I'm in Arizona now so you may as well plan on shipping it outside if you don't like the pull.

Yup I've had a lot of them come to me in a box so lots of folks find them hard to assemble. My trick is to close it all up then put the pin/bolt through the round gear . . . the newer ones the round gear is two parts so more difficult than the older ones.

Folks will tell you they jam from dirt in the gears, never found that to be true at all. In fact I have seen them grind up dirt in the gears like a little rock crusher. They have no extraction cam action to brake a fired case loose so hotter loads can make it very hard to open the lever, be very sure to test your ammo well before you take it out in the woods.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    Hello Forum members!

I wanted to know if anyone out there has or has had a Browning BLR. I am thinking about getting one and wanted to know your thoughts.

Thanks a ton!

Longkj
    used one, and really liked it. light, fast, reliable, but too complicated. count on never taking it apart, and using comrpessed air to clean it out. i repeat.....don't attempt to take it apart. I never found the need to take mine apart, but i've seen a fella or two ending up with gunsmith bills for attempting to take them apart, for whatever reason.

I've only handled and shot them. I really liked the short action models, but the long-action version I handled way back when really turned me off. It was just awkward, and that lever throw seemed to go on forever. Reflects more about the levers I'm used to than any real criticism of the model.

BLR
    I have a couple of them. Both are Short Action like BB said the long action is less appealing to me. Both are accurate enough and the action smooths out nicely with use. I carried the 325 WSM last year with my spare rounds in 3 spare Mag's that I bought from Midwest. My other one is a 7MM-08 and both are Pistol grip models. They carry well and have so far been reliable. As Andy said the trigger could use a little work. I like them.

They are a fine rifle, well put together, and I especially like the take down model. Still, aesthetically speaking, I just don't like that hammer hump. But the rack and pinion bolt is a great concept.

If there was no Savage 99, I would own one today, as a lever gun that shoots pointy bullets is downright sexy IMO.

After a couple of weeks of reading reviews and input from the forum, I picked up the rifle I knew I wanted. Browning BLR 81, Take down, light weight, Stainless, 300WSM. I havent shot it yet but I will add some pros and cons after I break it in/cycle a few rounds threw it. let me know if anyone on the forum wants to know specifics. I will shoot an assortment of rounds through it to give a good input. I think I'm going to the Birchwood range this weekend if anyone would like to join!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yeah! Thanks for replying! It helped!

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    After a couple of weeks of reading reviews and input from the forum, I picked up the rifle I knew I wanted. Browning BLR 81, Take down, light weight, Stainless, 300WSM. I havent shot it yet but I will add some pros and cons after I break it in/cycle a few rounds threw it. let me know if anyone on the forum wants to know specifics. I will shoot an assortment of rounds through it to give a good input. I think I'm going to the Birchwood range this weekend if anyone would like to join!

Hey there longkj, you did good, I've been shooting my 06 now, for quite awhile. See attached.

Attachment 81969Attachment 81970

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Thanks for reply TG. I took it out this weekend and threw a few through it. I didn't want to get too carried away with it because I need to break it in properly. All in all it's fast smooth and deadly!

I wouldn't get too caught up with the breaking in thing. Bunch of BS IMO. Not like an engine with lots of moving parts.