Thread: Question about Tractor

Default Question about Tractor

My family is moving to Alaska and I own a 29hp 4x4 tractor with every attachment needed to garden....5 ft tiller, bottom plow, cultivator, box blade, loader, etc. I was wondering if its worth me pulling my tractor and equipment that distance? From my research its better to garden raised beds and greenhouses in Alaska. This is going to be a BIG change for me as I live in Alabama and have always grown big gardens and it looks as if I'm up for some major changes in raising vegetables! Looks as if we will be within an hour of Palmer. The expense of pulling a tractor from Bama to Alaska has me wondering if its even worth it?

I guess it would depend on just how much you plan to turn if it would be worth it. If it were me and I would love to have a tractor to play on I doubt it will be cost effective. If you are buying some property like 5 acres and have to do clearing, build a driveway, plow snow stuff like that then it might be another story but that tractor is a trip by itself and what it may cost to get it here may not be worth the expense.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Many garden here just like you do now.
    Raised beds are just one way to get an earlier start.

Like sweepint said
    tractor could have many uses
    from garden to snow removal
    A nice trailer is a handy tool too.

Cost effective to haul/tow it here ?
    You'd have to do the math.
    What's would one cost here? What can you sell it for there. ?
    Sell it there & use the $$ for tools you find better fit your needs here. ?

Me. If driving up anyway. (how much more fuel to tow it? )
    I'd bring it. Hydraulic assist for me, would have several uses.
    Just maybe not all the attachments.

I don't think your going to get a straight Yes or No out of any of us. I can think of a lot of times a tractor with any one of those attachments would have been real nice. snow removal comes to mind. If your going to garden on a large scale, your going to want or need to compost on a large scale and using a loader to turn/stir the compost would be really nice. Considering the expense of relocating, your probably not going to want to drop a lot of money into building raised beds and greenhouse right away, so having a tractor with plow/tiller would be nice. Although you can usually rent a tiller, or hire someone who already has one to roto-til your garden spot. Actual area you plan to garden would have some bearing on bringing the tractor and attachments up. You state your going to be an hour out of Palmer. I'm curious as to which direction from Palmer?

If your buying a chunk of land an want to farm your going to want a hi-tunnel, Feds will even help you pay for it, check with the USDA office when you get up here. 60x40 or so isn't in-common so you can drive your track or right in, great for snow clearing too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drool over the Kubota tractors every time I see them at the various shows. I only have an acre but I could come up with an excuse to use one a couple times a week at least. A backhoe with a hydraulic thumb would be a real time saver as well. If I had 5 acres or more I would probably own one. As it is I seem to rent something at least once a summer. Most things I "need" a tractor for I can get multiple tasks prepped and then hammer out a ton in a weekend rental. It does suck having to be patient and leave a bunch of projects undone till I have enough work to fill the clock for the rental.

Tow it up! You will use it for everything, garden, snow, dragging firewood and general work around the property. Tractors up here are insanely over priced used and new. As for the garden, I run over 90 percent of mine in the ground just as you are used to, some in beds the rest in a greenhouse.

As long as your tractor is paid for, then YES bring it up. As already been said, there are many uses for a tractor here. I have a small compact tractor and wish that I had one a little larger, but for what they cost, I am better just to use what I have.

YOu can easily recoup the cost of bringing it up by just doing side jobs with it. I had a need to get some top soil scraped up so i could expand my gravel pad. It was too tight for a big piece of equipment, but too big for shovel work. A small four by four bobcat tractor fit the bill very nicely. Plus, if you took side jobs with it you could play with your toy and get paid.

Even if you don't have a large enough garden to need a tractor, you'll find it very handy to have if you have a home on acreage. You'll likely kick yourself if you don't bring it up and will find out renting equipment now and again will have easily payed for your shipping costs. Not to mention if you sell it and then decide to replace it you'll spend a lot more up here, or getting a machine and having it shipped up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks, I believe I will bring it with me. It is paid for and I hate to get rid of it....especially since I have finally got the attachments I wanted. I'm sure ill be asking more questions before long.