Thread: Spot sat phone

Default Spot sat phone

Is there anyone on the forums that owns the SPOT SAT PHONE? I'm seriously considering buying one and would like to know how anyone feels about it.

Thanks,

Longkj

"Rome February 6th, 2013 The fourth batch of six second-generation Globalstar satellites, all designed, manufactured and delivered by Thales Alenia Space, was launched today by a Soyuz rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 10:04 pm local time (5:04 pm in France/Italy)"

Globalstar of old and current global star (spot) are 2 different beasts. (see above)
    I'm not sure its a lot better. Customer last fall had one and still dropped calls but probably better than old global star.
    Gotta be guys that have used them around the state besides him.

Used a Globalstar phone two months ago for the first time. All I ever heard was how unreliable they are. My one experience, near King Salmon, was that it never dropped (which is actually uncommon even for the Iridium phones that I have a lot more experience with) and the voice quality was way better than Iridium. One trip doesn't make a trend, but I would be interested in trying a Spot phone after that experience.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Killer. Thanks for the report! Hope more will post with first hand recent experiences.

In theory they should be real competition this go.

Friend took a spot on this years bou hunt. Worked just fine. Wouldn't hesitate to take one on any hunt in alaska.

Check out the InReach. Cheap monthly fees and you can send and receive texts thru the satellites. A couple buddies of mine use them and love them.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

There appear to be difference courage depending on your service you have.
    Here is the Globalstar foot print of what your paying for.

https://www.globalstar.com/en/index....101&sidenav=85

Also Iridium Coverage

http://www.satellitephonereview.com/...rage_Maps.html

Thanks a ton for the info! Just FYI they are on sale right now. $250 mail in rebate. Best deal of the year for them. I think I'm going to try it out.

I have one of the Spot phones and love it. I just got back from a deer hunt and used it many times with 0 dropped calls. But it will drop them every once in a while. I think the most I have had to wait to make a call was maybe 5 minutes.

I am not really sure how they stack up price wise... but I just recently got a Delhorme Inreach SE and I used it on Afognak and had zero issues with it. I love it and it seems to be relatively inexpensive because I can change my plans month to month depending on my level of activity. Just food for thought.

The Spot phones are less expensive, but the airtime costs more for a network with less coverage.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

spot also has a feature to turn your smart phone into a sat phone.

Thst is the one called a sat-fi isn't it? Some being tested around here. Have not heard any reports yet.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    spot also has a feature to turn your smart phone into a sat phone.
    I never liked this idea IMHO, I just figure a semi water proof sat phone with one battery is much easier to keep in the wild than you I phone 6Plus, or tablet. How would you charge the battery of your smart phone, would be just another logistic to work out I guess. I like the spot sat phone, plus you don't have to call home every single night, it is just good to have that back up plan. Good to call in a meat run or troubles you have along the way.

I rented a globalstar this fall and I was not impressed from my experance with renting and using sat phones for hunting trips. the G-star I found was very hard to get signal when I was hunting out of homer and I was in a fairly open area. Also I know when you get to far north of alaska they dont work well at all and are not recommened by some of the flight service guys in the brooks who say only bring a uridium. I was going to buy a spot phone untill my experance using it. The urdium system seems to work far better the last sat phone i rent was a uridum and it was working great just from the cabin of my boat. Also I deside to purchase a one of the inreach se it is really sweet I pair it with my phone to send messages and it is just like sending text on a phone. It also came in handy because to uridium sat phone we had rented was not working at the beinging of are trip so I used the inreach to have someone contact the place we rented the sat phone from to have mins added to the phone so it worked. Glad I had the inreach I got just before the trip as we were able to to still communicate with people we needed.if you hunt the lower 48 maybe the G-star phone work better done their.