Thread: Moose Antler Stain

Default Moose Antler Stain

Anybody got input on what kind of stain to use? I harvest my first moose at 41 1/2" this September on opening day and I am making my own mount. I'm just stuck on what kind of stain to get. Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    Anybody got input on what kind of stain to use? I harvest my first moose at 41 1/2" this September on opening day and I am making my own mount. I'm just stuck on what kind of stain to get. Thanks!
    Potassium permanganate

Whatever color you want. I stained a set of mine really really dark and they look sweet. I'd post a pic but don't have them anywhere close. I picked up a nearly black bou antler and tried my best to match the colors. It came out really close.

uploadfromtaptalk1415511167416.jpg I used a walnut stain which is dark and I think it came out nice

I have done some with stain, and they looked unrealistic. The ones that turned out the best were the ones I did just the same as the animal did. Rubbed them with tree limbs and branches. look very natural. Didn't take very long either.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

MntMan why do you want to stain it? im just curious.

Mine were just washed and hung. Never occurred to me to stain them. Interesting. I am also curious to hear about this. Is it common to stain antlers for presentation? Mine seem plenty dark already though.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    MntMan why do you want to stain it? im just curious.
    I guess stain is the wrong word but I'm looking to bring out the color of the antlers. To me they seem faded and dull in color from others I have seen.

Antler is bone WHITE, when they first shed. The color develops as the season progresses. The blood stains become parts of this, added with tree sap and dirt they get from rubbing.

I have used spruce sap, melted it in a coffee can thinned with acetone. Be careful as acetone is HIGHLY flammable. I brushed on several coats and used steel wool to smooth and get the color I wanted, leaving the tips mostly white.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice Steve...!!!

I did some with blending some different Minwax stains and came up with something I was happy with. Can't remember what they were but a guy can experiment as the options are endless. Sorry it's not a very clear picture.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Potassium permanganate
    I just watched a friend use this a few weeks ago and this is what I would go with. I've seen people use stain and it doesn't ever look good IMHO. Start with a very thin formula of potassium permanganate and go from there!

I guess stain is the wrong word but I'm looking to bring out the color of the antlers. To me they seem faded and dull in color from others I have seen.
    That makes sense to me now, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used brown shoe polish,, try it on a small place, you do not need to polish them with a brush, just apply and wipe off.

BAR300 and I used coffee grounds. Take instant coffee, add water, use paper towel and apply to newer antlers. Once dried you can add another application and it will darken. How dark it goes on to begin with depends on how much water to coffee you use. Works really well and has a nice yellowish brown tint and IMO looks natural vs. painted/stained.

I used Potassium permanganate on these.Attachment 82288Attachment 82289