Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: willow area ice

Default willow area ice

We fished Friday at a lake near the Nancy lake system. Ice was thin, but solid. I would guess 3-5 inches. However, it was NOISY! We kept hearing lazer noises very similar to the guns off star wars. As well as tons of cracking and pops and booms. Visible cracking all over when we chipped out holes out. Very unnerving, but we were cautious and made sure we had 4 inches before getting to cocky out there. Later on, a guy actually drove past us on his 4-wheeler...yes on the ice. I thought that was a bit stupid..by whatever.

We caught over 20 fish. Trout and char. none over 18, but a couple came close. Great day.

Ya I heard a pot of that this mornig at Biglake lol. Sounds like Martian s are fighting in the ice.

Given the relatively large footprint of tires versus human feet, a small wheeler will put less pressure on the ground or ice than a human walking

Doesn't the psi on the tires actually tell you how much weight it puts down per square inch?

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Doesn't the psi on the tires actually tell you how much weight it puts down per square inch?
    I'm gonna run mine at zero psi and find out. Should I wear a life jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Mike, the psi inside the tire is how much pressure the air is putting on all the surface area inside (tread, sidewalls, rim). To calculate psi on the ground, it is the weight of the vehicle divided by the contact patch area in sq. inches of all the tires.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

We have been enjoying listening to the lake at the GF's house. Very noisy. Laid on my back on the ice listening and also feeling all that was going on. So cool.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Mike, the psi inside the tire is how much pressure the air is putting on all the surface area inside (tread, sidewalls, rim). To calculate psi on the ground, it is the weight of the vehicle divided by the contact patch area in sq. inches of all the tires.
    I figured that if there's only 5psi against a particular piece of the tire, then the downward force could only equal the amount of pressure being put on that piece of tire, which would be 5 pounds. Just a guess on my uninformed, non-math inclined part.

Do you have numbers to plug into your equation? I'm curious to see an example.

How do you figure out contact patch?

Weight of vehicle divided by contact area will be 5psi. The load is still concentrate over a small area, that could be a problem

The tire pressure only effect the size of the foot print in this discussion. The higher air pressure results in a smaller foot print,the lower air pressure creates a larger foot print.A lower air pressure will create a lower pressure per Sq. in. weight wise on the ice.

The Internet! I'll spare you the youtube video I watched, but here's Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_pressure

AKmuds point now seems embarrassingly obvious. Weight of thing divided by the amount of the thing touching the ground.

But somehow that "roughly equals" the psi to which the tire is inflated.

Another engineering type site said that "the air carries the load."

Also, beware, Wikipedia says average orv has greater ground pressure than average human. Except that human ground pressure doubles while walking (because one foot is in the air), but it's still less than average wheeled orv.

Abrams tank is also suprisingly low.

It all depends on tire size. An 8" wide tire at 5psi won't provide as large of contact patch as a 12" wide tire at 5psi. Compare that to the same rig sporting Mat-tracks....0 psi air pressure, but a huge contact patch.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hovercrafts for ice fishing. How has this not happened yet? Sure it's a bit more expensive than a Vexlar, but there's some people pretty deep into ice fishing. You'd be able to fish on half-inch ice (or water).

From a hovercraft entry: "The actual pressure under the craft is always the same - it's the weight of the craft divided by the cushion footprint area."

Yeah, pretty sure a wheeler is gonna break through thin ice before a person is all I'm saying. Way more weight in a small area.

Best thread of 2014!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

So, if you are skinny with size 16 shoes then you are safe on 1 inch of ice
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Check out the front page of flatlake.com. It may put an end to the discussion. Be safe out there

Haha a little side-by-side going through the ice isn't going to keep people from putting a whole lot of other things through the ice.

Unless you're talking about the dog driving the jet ski.

4-5 inches of ice at nancy lake

How much snow is on Nancy? Anyone out that way today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast