Thread: Canadian's obtaining license?

Default Canadian's obtaining license?

I am looking for information on obtaining my license in Alaska. I am Canadian and prefer to get my license in Alaska than Canada. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowyshoes View Post
    I am looking for information on obtaining my license in Alaska. I am Canadian and prefer to get my license in Alaska than Canada. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
    That's intriguing. Why the preference?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It is possible, you just have to find somebody who is willing to deal with the TSA paperwork. Building on a US license works out much better for later conversion to various international licenses.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's intriguing. Why the preference?
    Our country lacks experience in the ability to train for the price that they would like us to pay. It's ridiculous. And as well, over $25 000 to obtain a personal aircraft license in Canada, is absurd in my opinion. I'd much rather spend my money in Alaska, to someone who deserves every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowyshoes View Post
    Our country lacks experience in the ability to train for the price that they would like us to pay. It's ridiculous. And as well, over $25 000 to obtain a personal aircraft license in Canada, is absurd in my opinion.
    That's amazing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's amazing.
    Amazing and un-true! Where do you get this $25,000 figure?

Well, no response to my query, so I guess Snowyshoes pulled that number out of his *****.

In Canada, a Private Pilot License will cost about $12,000, a Recreational Permit (day vfr, one pax) about $5,000.

For $25,000 you should be able to get a Commercial Pilot License with multi-engine and IFR ratings.

I guess that might still be a bit more than in the US, mostly due to higher fuel costs.