Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dm426/427 jber

Default Dm426/427 jber

Just over a month away until the Winter Draw hunts start on JBER. Anyone hunted this hunt that is willing to share their knowledge and wisdom. Who else drew this hunt this year? I am doing the Disabled Veterans one. Any info on when, where and how to do this hunt would be appreciated. We have been scheduled for orientation on Dec 8. Thanks

I had DM 427 in 2011 and I ended up taking a nice cow on the Bull dog trail on the south side of TA429. We hunted 15 days but saw at least 2 moose every day. They were just being pressured a lot. We also saw several on the main base in TA 418, TA 412 and TA 411. Mostly along Pole Line road. I also saw a few people doing well in TA 430 as well. Just my .02 but I figured I'd throw it out there. Good luck on your hunt!

Ok, 5 days into this hunt and I have only heard of one cow being shot on day 1. I saw a cow and calf but did not shoot. Starting to regret that decision. So any clues on how to hunt this winter hunt with little and very noisy snow?

I took one there several years ago, and helped another fellow get his. Hunt early and late. Hunt all day. I saw more moose later in the season, and that is when I got mine.
    Take plenty of rope. You will likely get one close enough to pull it to the road with your vehicle. I used halibut ground line. Had a ramp in the back of my truck and used it to help get it in whole with the come along.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I took one there several years ago, and helped another fellow get his. Hunt early and late. Hunt all day. I saw more moose later in the season, and that is when I got mine.
    Take plenty of rope. You will likely get one close enough to pull it to the road with your vehicle. I used halibut ground line. Had a ramp in the back of my truck and used it to help get it in whole with the come along.
    Been in there from shooting light to shooting lite for the most part. Was told they only allowed about 40% of the hunters to take there vehicles in to collect there moose. Did you walk the roads, sit in an area and wait or drive the North side?

I scored yesterday on a big cow. She was the fattest moose I have ever seen. We have been working 425 most. But as said before snow is very loud. I found this girl bedded in some trees off Bulldog midday. When I called in I was told that was only the second moose taken so far. Now just have to get her in the freezer and find one for my hunting partner. Good Luck to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I scored yesterday on a big cow. She was the fattest moose I have ever seen. We have been working 425 most. But as said before snow is very loud. I found this girl bedded in some trees off Bulldog midday. When I called in I was told that was only the second moose taken so far. Now just have to get her in the freezer and find one for my hunting partner. Good Luck to everyone.
    Congrats on filling your tag! Gotta like a freezer full of moose! Good luck to your partner!

AKGrumpy, hope you are also able to connect!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Thanks Juli.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Been in there from shooting light to shooting lite for the most part. Was told they only allowed about 40% of the hunters to take there vehicles in to collect there moose. Did you walk the roads, sit in an area and wait or drive the North side?
    We walked the roads, but also hunted places we could drive into.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    Congrats on you moose. I have been hunting 425 myself. I know I have found about a dozen beds, but nothing in them.. I heard that there might have been another one taken today but don't know for sure. Maybe I am doing this hunt all wrong. I have been sitting in an area waiting for a moose to cross on of the trails. That mile and half hike every day is not doing my back or knees much good. But tomorrow is another day.

I have been hunting 425 as well...tons of sign, but not fresh. I also found a knife in the trail...let me know what it is and I will get it back to you...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I have been hunting 425 as well...tons of sign, but not fresh. I also found a knife in the trail...let me know what it is and I will get it back to you...
    Not my knife. But if I hear of one being lost I will have then look on here and describe it to you. You parking by Ship Creek or coming in from the Muldoon Areas? And all the sign I am seeing is old also.

Not my knife. But if I hear of one being lost I will have then look on here and describe it to you. You parking by Ship Creek or coming in from the Muldoon Areas? And all the sign I am seeing is old also.
    The guy you talked with at the bridge...bushy moustache.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    The guy you talked with at the bridge...bushy moustache.

That is what I thought. Heading out in a couple mins. Good luck.

I hope you guys score. My experience is that the snow moves them down. Supposed to start snowing again. I had the best success towards the end of the season. When do the permits expire?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I hope you guys score. My experience is that the snow moves them down. Supposed to start snowing again. I had the best success towards the end of the season. When do the permits expire?
    We have until Jan 15 to hunt.

Moose.jpgHauling Moose.jpg Hunted 5 days and connected with an average cow Friday in TA 429. Was about a mile from the truck and the wife helped haul the quarters in two loads. Like everyone said, the limited snow was crunchy. The recent fresh snow was great to help quite things down a bit but short lived. As temps reached 38 degrees Thursday and things began to melt then re-freeze Thursday night it was nearly as crunchy as the first week. This is my first year getting this permit after being in Alaska 11 years. Seems the moose were well scattered as I put on some significant miles in several training areas over the course of 5 days hunting hard all daylight hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Moose.jpgHauling Moose.jpg Hunted 5 days and connected with an average cow Friday in TA 429. Was about a mile from the truck and the wife helped haul the quarters in two loads. Like everyone said, the limited snow was crunchy. The recent fresh snow was great to help quite things down a bit but short lived. As temps reached 38 degrees Thursday and things began to melt then re-freeze Thursday night it was nearly as crunchy as the first week. This is my first year getting this permit after being in Alaska 11 years. Seems the moose were well scattered as I put on some significant miles in several training areas over the course of 5 days hunting hard all daylight hours.

Congrats on your moose. I have been hunting for 11 days so far. Passed on cow/calf on day one and saw 3 today but no shot. I have put miles in on both sides of the highway. Back at it in the morning.

Good Luck to you!
    Congrats on your moose. I have been hunting for 11 days so far. Passed on cow/calf on day one and saw 3 today but no shot. I have put miles in on both sides of the highway. Back at it in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Good Luck to you!
    At this point it will take luck right now. The snow/ice is so noisy there is no way to stalk one. 3 moose on Tuesday (no closer than 80 yds through the brush) and 1 bull on Wednesday (at 125 yds). So if anyone has any ideas I am all ears..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast