Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

A simple angle iron that is readily available is an old steel bed frame. You can pick them up at thrift stores cheap. I'm pretty sure that it's 1/8" by maybe 1.5"? I've used this stuff to make running board brackets, mount racks to my truck, and fabricate boxes fro hauling crap to the cabin. Strong, powder coated, and cheap. Might want to look into it. Prob, have a hard time finding a 10' length, but I'm sure you could weld two lengths together.

Here's my second design for my groomer/drag's. I won't get to use it until New Years weekend but I am excited to see how it does for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akriverunner,
    How was the drag?
    Need to build one and wondering if you would do anything different?
    Appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

I would extend the front of the runners out much further than what he has them. And then come up at a 45* about a foot. Sucks to stop and lift it up over downed small logs or catch on tree roots ect. The longer the runners, the flatter you can groom a trail. A short drag will want to float and build waves in your trail. Kinda like grading a lot or road with with a D8 cat vs using a long wheel base grader. His blade system should work fine. And keep it in the middle of the drag. Just make the drag as long as reasonably possible. It won't pull any harder. In fact, will pull easier unless you have lots of tight tight corners you are doing on your trail system.

The drag works great! A lot better then my first design with straight blades. This one pictured is 6'x10'. Not sure there's any reason a guy would want to go any longer then that. If you are just grooming personal trails this setup is simple and works great. I like making them at least 5' wide, I've always made them 10' long also. I tried 6' wide on this one and we like it a lot so far. We only have about a foot of snow but I can already tell it cuts great and works better then my previous design. Only thing a guy could do is another set of V blades that channel the snow outwards maybe in the middle of what I have now. Not sure if it's totally necessary yet though.

Sounds great. Looking to drag the trail from the Deshka landing to our place and back each time we go oiut there. In your opinion, is it strong enough to run right out of the landing and make any difference on the the main trail that we all use? Do you think overflow or that hard ice would tear it up (current conditions out there now)?

Again, appreciate the input.
    Bk
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

BK, I'm not on the river anymore but I have a few of my original designs out there still. Dave Luce uses his the most of anyone I sold them to. He runs from mile 9-10 on the Yentna to the landing all the time with it, seen him pulling it in Monday. It will be plenty strong enough for what you are wanting. Definitely try to copy this one pictured above with the angled blades, it works great. The angle is 2"x 1/8" thick and the blades are made out of 4"x3/16 flat bar. The blades are adjustable from up flush to down about an inch.

Thanks, I'll get one Built!
    Bk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thanks for the great ideas and responses. Many of you are really talented with metal and I'm impressed.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Still waiting on warmer temps and snow to really test this thing out........

I started this thread a couple of years ago. So I thought I'd post the drag I made. What I made is pretty simple. And not bomb proof. But it gets 'er done. I had 20 feet of perforated sign post tubing, so I used those for sides. Made the cutter edge by cutting teeth with a worm drive saw and cutting wheel (not much fun). I put rudder plates on the sides so the drag doesn't slide downhill on side hills. No welding, all bolted together. I like using a chain and a big metal carabiner for a hitch. Easy to hook up and unhook with a chain, no need to get in the right spot or move the drag. With the 'biner you can adjust the length of the chain hitch to put more or less weight on the front of the drag. My original question was where to get iron for a drag. I'm thinking the remnants rack at Alaska Steel in Anchorage are as good as any place. Steel has gone down in price since the mid-2000's when commodity prices were high. So AK Steel seems like a good deal these days. Plus, the folks are really nice there.
    Kelley_TrailDrag_2016_IMG_2510.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    I like this simple drag. The length would help level out the whoops but make the turn around a little tough.

It's like watching a campfire....can't look away!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Love the teeth from the fenceposts, true ingenuity!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    I started this thread a couple of years ago. So I thought I'd post the drag I made. What I made is pretty simple. And not bomb proof. But it gets 'er done. I had 20 feet of perforated sign post tubing, so I used those for sides. Made the cutter edge by cutting teeth with a worm drive saw and cutting wheel (not much fun). I put rudder plates on the sides so the drag doesn't slide downhill on side hills. No welding, all bolted together. I like using a chain and a big metal carabiner for a hitch. Easy to hook up and unhook with a chain, no need to get in the right spot or move the drag. With the 'biner you can adjust the length of the chain hitch to put more or less weight on the front of the drag. My original question was where to get iron for a drag. I'm thinking the remnants rack at Alaska Steel in Anchorage are as good as any place. Steel has gone down in price since the mid-2000's when commodity prices were high. So AK Steel seems like a good deal these days. Plus, the folks are really nice there.
    Kelley_TrailDrag_2016_IMG_2510.jpg

Nicely done

Anything new in the world of trail drags? Anyone making them for sale?

grooming sprint mushing trails. the cutting blade on this one is like a catenary curve, where all the snow is piled up in this photo. its 5x12 i believe, length is the key for smoothing out whoops.

IMG_4180.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123