Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    There is a place out on Pittman road for used steel....I have never been there but heard it about it a few times from folks. I know one guy that purchased I beam for his house from them about a year ago or so.

I will see if I can get more info. Cause his price on the beam was cheap in comparison to what we pay for new steel.

Good simple design. Works just fine for what we do. Kudos!

I'd love to see copies of the various designs out there being used locally. I've rigged up a set of modified wooden pallets as a temporary groomer/drag...it's been about 7 years now using it-HA!. Every year, I think about setting up something out of angle iron with some actual cutting and shaping blades...someday....

Thanks, Karl

I'd love to see the design and/or pictures

Any photos of a proven drag designs? I would like to smooth the ride to the cabin. Might help out the neighbors as well.

Attachment 87724Attachment 87725 Here is one that I built for a man on the Yentna river. He said it works great on soft snow. Harder snow almost ice he chains logs on top to weight it down to help bit the ice. All the cutting teeth are 1/4" serrated. I tipped in the round tubes so the groomer would bounce off tree instead of coming to a stop and ripping off your hitch. I asked the guy to send me some photos of him grooming and the finished trail results, but haven't received anything yet.
    Mike

The Attachments will not open.

Quote Originally Posted by Superx View Post
    Any photos of a proven drag designs? I would like to smooth the ride to the cabin. Might help out the neighbors as well.

IMAG0289.jpgIMAG0293.jpg

I use this to work single sled tracks. Built it out of scrap wood I had. I use angle iron on the leading edges. I add logs if i need to dig in some. Not fancy but made to sled width for single trail. keeps trapline and the yard nice and flat.

That's a sharp looking drag Sportsman. Have you used that yet? Curious how it works with funneling the snow into the middle and then back out again.

The issue I've had with the design of the red drag is blowing snow off the trail. Not an issue at slow speeds through the twisties but I found at any pace above slow the snow rooster tailed out. I ended up covering the top at the end of each cutter to deflect the snow back down and out the bottom of the drag. Looks well made.

I just used it grading my driveway in the summer to see if it would channel dirt/snow towards the middle of the drag and it does. The front 4 cutting teeth would cut the hard dirt mounds. The back plate would build up dirt and over large holes it would allow the dirt to fall and fill the hole with the last bar smoothing out any other loose dirt. It filled in all the pot holes in my driveway. I built it for someone in the summer so I couldn't test it on snow. I figure the next best thing would be dirt. The guy that bought it hasn't complained about it but im still waiting to get photos from him with it in use.

If I remember right the cutting teeth are 5/16 or 1/4" with serrated teeth that I cut with my CNC machine. I was going to make the teeth adjustable, but the person that bought it didn't want them to be adjustable. The front teeth hang down 1/8" and the middle teeth hang down a 1/4" past the round tubing.

I like this simple drag. The length would help level out the whoops but make the turn around a little tough.

I'd like to revive this thread if possible. Any more pics of homemade groomers? Anyone making/selling drags in Alaska?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'd like to revive this thread if possible. Any more pics of homemade groomers? Anyone making/selling drags in Alaska?
    I think this would be good to model after:

http://yankeemetalworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I have had requests and will be building a couple this fall. I'll post photos when I put them together.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I have had requests and will be building a couple this fall. I'll post photos when I put them together.
    I'd definitely like to see your work so post those pictures. I'd also be interested in buying one if you're selling. Or if I could get a look at your plans for making one...

Quote Originally Posted by hilfikerkg View Post
    I think this would be good to model after:

http://yankeemetalworks.com/

Those are really nice drags. Thanks a bunch.

I'm curiouis, though. The guy in the video says the drags are designed for minimal snow conditions. What does that mean and what would be different if the drag were built for more snow?

I made this drag a few years ago from some scraps including the old metal skis from my skandic

What you can't really see in the pics is the base of the drag is a piece of 1/2" UHMW that is cut like a comb that produces a corduroy pattern. I've also found that I need to add a chunk of iron ~100#'s to keep pressure on the comb to pack fresh snow. And that is really what the drag is good for, packing fresh snow to make ski trails. It would just bounce along packed down stuff.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast