Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

Default Angle iron for snowmobile trail drag?

Am starting to build a snowmobile trail drag for use this winter. Looking for angle iron (like 1/8” x 2”). I know I can get it at AK Steel in Anchorage. But is there anywhere in Anchorage or the Valley that sells scraps? I don’t care if they have some rust or not or have been used. Any ideas? Thanks.

Greatland welding on the Palmer/Wasilla hwy.

http://www.greatlandwelding.com/

Check out Grants recycling at PW hwy and 49th street, right by the dump.
    They will sell scrap by the # as well as buy it.

Last time I dropped some stuff I also bought some al. pretty cheap, might have something you could use.
    BK

Weld air in wasilla sells new material. Not sure on where to get used stuff. If you need a good drag/groomer design let me know, I have quite a few running around on the Su/Yentna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 4' piece of 2x2 angle at AIH when I built my drag. I think Home Dep and Lowes also sells small stuff in the 4' size....

Not knowing the design or size of the drag, 1/8 seam a little light. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Weld air in wasilla sells new material. Not sure on where to get used stuff. If you need a good drag/groomer design let me know, I have quite a few running around on the Su/Yentna.

Would you elaborate? I'd like to pull one behind my firewood sled to help keep things smooth, have heard of a few different designs

2x2" angle 1/8" thick is perfect

Thanks for the replies! Lowe's & HD don't sell pieces over 4 to 6'. And I need side pieces that are 8'. I'm going to check out Grants and greatland. Akriver ... I know you make good ones. But I like to make my own stuff ... cuz making stuff keeps me out of trouble! ;-)

You can buy remnants at Alaska Steel. People buy a piece and have it cut top length. The remnant goes back on the shelf.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'm not trying to sell them anymore, don't have the time. Just letting you know I can give you the design if you want it. The size I found that works best is 5'x10'. I normally bought 6-10' sticks of angle and one 10' stick of 4"x 3/16" thick flat bar for the cut and fill blades.

Good info here. Akriverrunner I would sure like to see the design.
    Thanks

Greer Tank.

Me too Akriverrunner. If you have a pic of one of your drags ... that would be interesting to see. Thanks.

I don't have a pic of one right now but as soon as it snows I'm building a 7'x10' to pull behind my tracked SxS

AKRR do you plan to mod the design because of the different ruts/tracks left behind a snogo vs the tracked quad/SxS ? I think the ability to fill in the ruts with snow may need some different angles for the very different machines in other words?
    Thanks.

Any photo updates surely appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    Me too Akriverrunner. If you have a pic of one of your drags ... that would be interesting to see. Thanks.
    Dinglishna, grab the groomer at our house and try it out. To the right of the shop leaning on a tree. Probably wider than you want but you can copy it. Ron V. At Deshka made it for me. I know you like it because its the one I use to cover your skate tracks with! You can use it all you want and I'll pick it up when I get back from the Nut Farm!

There is a place out on Pittman road for used steel....I have never been there but heard it about it a few times from folks. I know one guy that purchased I beam for his house from them about a year ago or so.

I will see if I can get more info. Cause his price on the beam was cheap in comparison to what we pay for new steel.

The ones Ron V were building were a copy of mine. Someone let him see mine and he started copying them and selling them. I have a new better design now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast