Thread: How's the weather affecting your trapping plans?

Default How's the weather affecting your trapping plans?

With just a few days until trapping season here in southcentral, and virtually no snow on the ground, how is the weather changing your plans for running your line?

I've been brushing and checking my snare lines, but with very little snow, it's been really difficult to see tracks to assess the population of foxes, lynx, etc.

Been doing the same. Looks like it will start off using a wheeler instead of the sled. I will probably wait to target fox/yote until we have snow, everything else though it is game on!

Best to wait till Dec anyway. Fur will be almost twice as prime..

Yeah, I'm going to start out nice and easy this year (especially for fox and lynx). Got a couple foxes early season and they weren't nearly as prime as those I got in December/January. I'm half tempted to use four wheelers to explore some new areas. Any thoughts on ice thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by BearMountain View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to start out nice and easy this year (especially for fox and lynx). Got a couple foxes early season and they weren't nearly as prime as those I got in December/January. I'm half tempted to use four wheelers to explore some new areas. Any thoughts on ice thickness?
    I've got a guide at work, not here at home, but it seems it said 2" for walking and something like 6" for a snowmachine. I don't have the guys for either one personally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I've got a guide at work, not here at home, but it seems it said 2" for walking and something like 6" for a snowmachine. I don't have the guys for either one personally...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never trust ice!!! It can be safe in the mourning and rotten in the late afternoon. Use a ax with a 3 foot handle to test the ice. Also have a couple of ice pick on a cord around your neck. It could save your life if you fall threw.

I personally love the warmer weather! Lets me start with some good old dirt hole sets for fox!

Fell through the ice four or five times while rat trapping this morning.

Teacherman, Yep will be doing that tomorrow!