Thread: New outboards? too me?

Default New outboards? too me?

What is the story with this baby?..."buddy of a buddy" has two of these on his Armstrong cat!?....never heard of them?

..oh oh as much as I love my etecs--hmmmmm!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Your Buddies Buddy must be Jim Dettling. I know he hated his ETEC's with a passion, and rolled the dice with the Seven Marine motors. I haven't heard from him this summer so I am not sure how his new boat and motors are performing. My only thought on the Seven Marine motors is the lack of mechanics who would even know how to work on them. Looks like that company is focusing on the south east of America...

Tom

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The cowlings look similar to the new Evinrudes. There are a pair of them hanging on a Kingfisher at AMDS...and they are UGLY!

There was a 40 foot Armstrong cat with a pair of 557s hanging off the back. I believe it belonged to Dettling. There were a couple of techs from 7 Marine doing routine maintenance on them. I believe they are derived from GM's 6.2 L motor. One of the techs said it cruises at 40 and I believe he said about .5 mpg.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

ahh yes f and c , ask a question to the mob and get "that" kind of answer! .. anyway, I think they look awesome and yes, I told my buddy he better have a dealer where he fishes because ANY motor better have a mechanic just in case!!...and, his reply was-" yep he has a helicopter in his back yard so he would ship one if trouble happens" to each his own I guess!....cresent-- his name is Ron!

thx for the info spoiled, I see they are headed north!!larry

Did he tell you they are $75,000 each? No Bull SH*#!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Did he tell you they are $75,000 each? No Bull SH*#!

Tom
    holy crap batman!! no he didn't! I guess I will have to asl more questions!!

here is the front of the boat!...thnking these boats run 500$ plus?

Seven Marine has pics of this cat and Jim's on their Facebook page. The one pictured in this forum is 35' and Jim's is 40'. but that 5' make a HUGE difference. Great looking boats.

Tom

Larry,
    Don't be getting any crazy ideas now.....you have quite the set-up already!! LOL!

And, holy crap those are expensive toys.
    BK

Yah..it is a cool looking boat!...just luv all that metal!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Larry,
    Don't be getting any crazy ideas now.....you have quite the set-up already!! LOL!

And, holy crap those are expensive toys.
    BK
    What, cant a guy just look?? LOL

Does it pencil out for fuel burn, cost of motors & maintenance? We've watched the progression of big heavy aluminum boats & outboards. Seems that there is a limit to what a outboard can do economically. Notice the 5 blade ss props? Huge hp outboards spinning small props just doesn't seem to make sense really. Too bad they can't produce a huge torque outboard that turns a big prop; think that'd be awesome.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Does it pencil out for fuel burn, cost of motors & maintenance? We've watched the progression of big heavy aluminum boats & outboards. Seems that there is a limit to what a outboard can do economically. Notice the 5 blade ss props? Huge hp outboards spinning small props just doesn't seem to make sense really. Too bad they can't produce a huge torque outboard that turns a big prop; think that'd be awesome.
    Makes you wonder who's going to be first to put out a 3 or 4 cylinder diesel in an outboard, a Kubota tractor motor comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default New outboards? too me?

Yanmar already did that in the late 80's and early 90's. Only 36hp and 27hp though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415495576.853682.jpg

Sobie2

Yeah a bigger diesel outboard would be awesome you'd think, inline 4, aluminum block, oh yeah!!! Wonder why no one's done it especially with the popularity of diesel fuel around the world.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Seven Marine has one on the drawing board now.

I saw the 40 Armstrong with 7's in Whittier this past August and also wondered about those outboards. It's a pretty impressive rig:

wonder why the lower units are both off ?? In my way of thinking why would someone spend 150 grand on outboards that basically have a unknown track record ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The Price

All of this horsepower, the heavy-duty components, state-of-the-art systems, brilliant engineering, complicated assembly, beautiful exterior with polyurethane paint and graphics, polished ss headers, customization and individual customer consultation does not come cheap. The Seven Marine 557 rig will run twice the cost of horsepower delivered by the production outboard companies. In some cases it may even be nearly three times as much as conventional outboards, according to company spokesman Brian Davis. However, Brian is quick to point out that similar features can only be found in Diesel Pod Drives, which cost 25% to 30% more.

Twin 557s with joystick control and a sophisticated LCD screen have an MSRP of $185,000, for the pair.