Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone going to do it?

Default Anyone going to do it?

I was curious if anyone was thinking about growing marijuana for sale or personal
    use now that it's legal in AK?

I don't smoke anything but I would probably consider growing it for profit. I tried
    it about 25 years ago but I didn't inhale.

I watched a show about Colorado growers a while back. I think they might not be
    allowed to have guns on site if they are growing. I'm also curious if Alaska included
    any similar wording. Possibly making people trade their guns for pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I was curious if anyone was thinking about growing marijuana for sale or personal
    use now that it's legal in AK?

I don't smoke anything but I would probably consider growing it for profit. I tried
    it about 25 years ago but I didn't inhale.

I watched a show about Colorado growers a while back. I think they might not be
    allowed to have guns on site if they are growing. I'm also curious if Alaska included
    any similar wording. Possibly making people trade their guns for pot?
    We're 90'ish days from the vote becoming law in regards to personal use, and roughly a year out from having the regs/laws in place concerning growing/selling/etc., so a bit early to speculate as to the required bureaucracy to be able to grow.

As to firearms, the State may allow weed, the feds still do not, and possession of a firearm in a drug grow would be a beeeeg no bueno if the feds came knocking....

This thread could be interesting to follow tho'.

-grin-
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

It's still a federal crime and it gets dicey dealing with what to do with your proceeds as banks consider it drug money and are leery of handling it and getting cross wise with the federal government.

No plans to grow it or use it. Many industries require random drug testing, not worth the risk.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I thought I'd give it a shot so I bought a small tent and a LED light and some smart pots.

Put some store bought soil in the pots and watered them down, germenated the seeds and off we go, lol.

3 weeks later they are about 3" tall, lol ( and just starting there secound leaves )

In contrast I took some 3 year old Broc. seeds out of the frezzer 5 days ago and just through them in another pot and they are already taller than the pot plants, go figure, grins.

I don't think the public has to much to worry about this house flooding the market, lmao.

Its just a fun hobby and I wanted to see if I could do it. ( I hav'nt given up on the plants yet, but I think the broccllie is going to take over.)

It's still a state crime isn't it? The initiative made it legal 90 days later. Which hasn't been done yet.

Hopefully good seed will become easier to come by...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    It's still a state crime isn't it? The initiative made it legal 90 days later. Which hasn't been done yet.
    If they want to waste thier time busting me for some 3" plants -that probably won't make it anyway- let them have at it.

( I don't even know if they are male or female)

I hav'nt smoked in 30 plus years, just wanted to see if I could grow the plant, its harder than you think.

That brings to life another question, will nurseys be able to grow these as a house plant?

If this thread gets shut down go to the http://www.420magazine.com/ , go to the forums there.

Has anybody ordered seed online; if so, any issues?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Default Fun in the greenhouse

I will continue to grow. It's been a great hobby for years. In the privacy of my own home of course. (thanks Ravin)

A good seed bank is Attitude seeds in London. Never have a problem with ordering there. Really good seeds are spendy, but they are the foundation.
    https://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/
    There are some in BC also worth looking at. Attitude is reportedly the largest in the world and they know what they are doing. A ton of research is needed to really know what you want. Cuttings from friends are also a good way to get what you want.

I voted for legalization. I wish they could regulate it to keep it small, mom & pop operations. I do not think edibles are worth the downside.

Flame on. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Ah Ha......the truth comes out....!!! I'll never think about you guys the same again...!!!.......lol

Yeah, from everything I remember from years ago, even though I never tried it, growing good quality buds isn't easy. You look to have it down pretty well though bullbuster....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    I do not think edibles are worth the downside.
    What's the downside?
    #Resist

There are a few.
    The biggest is that kids will get into it. Way too easy for youngsters to carry around. Almost impossible to identify. There are now overdoses on pot that you can't do when smoking.

If there was a way to keep under 18 y.o. from using, I would be all for it. Same as with alcohol. It will be up to the adults, and we all know how grown up they act.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Roger that. The commercial product / kid access issue is understandable and I agree. Am looking forward to some adult meal recipe experimentation tho. What's not to love about marijuana butter in the kitchen?
    #Resist

I ordered from amsterdam and the first order was lost. They asked me to give them a review on thier bussiness and I told them I could'nt as I had not recieved them and they resent another order which I did recieve.

I ordered thier cheapest seeds as I just wanted to see if I could grow the plant and the seeds I ordered were $30.00, the shipping was $30.00, lol.

The six that I germanated all grew tails so they are vilable seeds, just don't know what sex they are yet.

( I've been reading alot about growing these things and I'm still bemused how this stuff got off the ground. Watching youtube videos make's it look easy, not so.)

This is a weed is'nt it? grins. I can grow garden veggies easier than this, lol.

Cool Better include a game picture

I think the common field variety is a weed. A highly cross bred strain is not. They incorporate plant characteristics from all over the world now days. Those have their likes and dislikes. They can now "feminize" seeds. Those drastically increase the number of females produced, but have their own shortcomings.

Last year was uncommon, but I had 2 crops fail as young plants. From out of nowhere aphids killed one batch overnight. Growing organic isn't an easy path to take. Not a lot in the arsenal. I never figured out why the second crop died. The third crop, naturally got a late start. 4 out of 6 were males and died at my hand. I brought 2 to maturity. That is out of 18 planted for the year. The year before all 6 of the first crop survived, 2 of which were male.
    The year prior I had a spider mite infestation. They are the borg, resistance is futile without heavy chemicals.

Predators come in all sizes. Alaskan Outdoor predator. I took these outside to hose pests off with the garden hose.

I can't tell what the sex is until a couple of months down the road. It is a study for sure. Indica or sativa. Soil selection. Pest identification. Fertilizer program. Lighting requirements (color and duration). Ways to influence the taste. Bud development, heavy and dense or light and wispy. (popcorn buds) Size of containers. Watering regimen.

I do enjoy the journey though. The guys who grow are very helpful in answering questions. My method has changed over the years. I used to grow plants 8' tall. Last year they were 4' at maturity. Since I have never sold any, I was soon overwhelmed by the amount. It is a bonus to visit a like minded friend and toss him a quart jar of prime bud just for the grins.

Now that Alaska has made this quasi-legal this will be a more common discussion around the state. There are a lot of forums to look at and learn. I generally use greenpassion.org. They were set up to assist the medical marijuana crowd. I spent a week at the Mayo clinic to find out why my joints are extremely painful. They could not diagnose the issue. Smoking does not make the pain go away, but it distracts me from the pain at night. I'll take what I can get. It is better than the steroids and cancer pain pills I was on for 2 years.

Don't be intimidated. At it's basic level, it is a weed. All you have to lose is seed. LOL!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Good picture, lol, How did the moose get in with all your fences, and was he a little bit interested about trying out some of the leaves, lol?

Wink He was a mellow moose

It was a temporary fence. If the moose wanted in they just walked thru it. I just left the gate open to minimize damage.

When the little guy started chewing on the girls, I shot him. No, just joking. He ate a few leaves then I walked out and pushed him back into the woods.
    Hosing the plants off one got very water logged and snapped off. Just some fibers holding the main stem together. I spliced it with splints, Velcro and tape. It stunted it, but did produce very well.

That taught me how tough they can be. When some get too tall, aggressive stem bending can redirect growth patterns. This is a bit too aggressive, but it worked.

Topping is another area of study. How you top the plants can result in 2 main branches or 4.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Don't know if this works but here is my pitiful attempt after a month. lol.

This not a project for the faint of heart, that little operation has hit my pocketbook for over three hundred already.

The tent was like $70 bucks. the LED light 90 watt UFO most wanted $200 dollars plus to ship a 90 watt to Alaska, I found this one for $130, the fan was $30 , the Fox Farm food was about $40 bucks to get here, then I bought a couple of 50 watt red LED light bulbs that I ha'vnt used yet that cost me $50 to get here. ( can you tell I'm a rookie, grins ?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow. I've only grown one a few times, but always started them on the window sill, and then transferred to a 5 gal bucket outside, just like tomatoe plants. They always seemed really easy to grow. Have I just been lucky?
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Wow. I've only grown one a few times, but always started them on the window sill, and then transferred to a 5 gal bucket outside, just like tomatoe plants. They always seemed really easy to grow. Have I just been lucky?
    Starting them in the window sill at -40 doesnt work, lol. I started those on Jan 16 and it got cold outside. The sun is pretty low up here at that time so you would'nt get much light. People who grow this plant reccomend a light source of either 16 hours on and 8 hours off, to 18 hours on 6 hours off, kinda hard to do on natural light here in the interior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast