Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to try them again

Default Ready to try them again

Going to give the big 350gr cast another try in the 375 Ruger, have a different powder to try. If this doesn't work, then it is back to the alloy drawing board, I know this rifle will shoot these big cast bullets, I have shot a hundred or so from the Bullshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10393667_10205186375849404_6657927831012775586_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	81818

Great looking bullet! That's the same profile as my 200 grain 358 and it's both accurate and deadly on game. Any more I don't use anything else in 35 Rem., and it's a treat for moderate loads in the 358. I'm betting they'll be dandy plinking and deer bullets in your 375.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

When Cast Bullets "don't work" accuracy wise, I reduce the powder charge. (The bullet could be getting deformed.)

So, I've read, and so, it seems to work for me.

What are your plans for the Cast Bullet? Hunting, Plinking, Both, ???

I like Cast Bullets. I shoot cast in both rifles and handguns. I Dig'em Man.

SOTN

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I cast for increased trigger time, and for hunting, I figure a .375" 350gr bullet at 1800-2200 fps should work for anything on this continent.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBman View Post
    ...I figure a .375" 350gr bullet at 1800-2200 fps should work for anything on this continent.
    And that's the truth!

I cast for increased trigger time, and for hunting, I figure a .375" 350gr bullet at 1800-2200 fps should work for anything on this continent.
    A lot of the older, and successful, BP cartridges were less powerful.

BB:

Since I use my LA 30-30 for Bear Protection, would I be better off using 170 grain Cast Bullets OR 170 Grain Hornady FN jacketed bullets.

The velocity should be bout the same, since I use the same charge. I tend to carry the Cast Bullet loads, thinking maybe they would have the edge on penetration, but I just don't know. I've never had the occasion to shoot a big animal with either.

I understand, you have hunted with rifle cast bullets.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Name:	10641078_10205195171989302_7026637253136061948_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	81836
    Ready for some cotton tails, I know the 300gr DGX is bit light, but if some jack rabbits show up, I will have the 350gr hard cast for backup.

No Jack Wabbits in the Greatland go my knowledge, but we gots the Arctic Hare, one of the world's largest wabbits.

I am confident that my thutty - thutty with cast bullets would penetrate up to a dozen of them vicious critters in a row, with a Wolverine on one end and a Tasmanian Devil on the other.

Lots of savvy folks advise a 12 gauge Shootgun, but I feel safer with a rifle that has moderate recoil.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I must be getting old. In the middle of winter I now prefer a cup of coffee, with possible slight drop of additive, a good hot wood stove fire and a book by one of the greats, Ruark, Anabell, Hemingway, even Capstick for entertainment. Had my fill of wab, er, rabbits.

Going to give the big 350gr cast another try in the 375 Ruger, have a different powder to try. If this doesn't work, then it is back to the alloy drawing board, I know this rifle will shoot these big cast bullets, I have shot a hundred or so from the Bullshop.

Name:	10393667_10205186375849404_6657927831012775586_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	81818
    That's pretty, where do you get those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't say what powder you are using but try a somewhat reduced charge of a powder that is slow for your 375. This is usually a little easier on the bullets launch into the rifling and can help accuracy.

Limon, I cast these from an Accurate bullet mold 38-350R, the Bullshop sells a slightly heavier version. RBuck, I will give that a try if this proves unsuccessful.

Failure again, at 30 yards the bullets are already starting to yaw, it seems 2000fps is the point I cannot cross. Had good luck with the patched big 454 bullets in the Marlin 45/70.

...yaw, it seems 2000fps is the point I cannot cross.
    I can't wrap my brain around how more velocity would be causing yaw, unless there's some bullet damage going on with increased vel. Are you seeing a bunch of leading with the loads over 2k?

It sounds like you may not have fast enough twist to stabilize that long of bullet at that velocity and you may not be able to push it any faster for a bunch of reasons. Do you have gas checks on these?

I get no leading, and they are gas checked, I think the alloy needs to be harder. As far as twist, usually if the twist isn't fast enough, the yaw will be worse the slower you go, and I shoot a 360gr of very similar design cast by a friend who makes bullets for a living. They shoot great at 1800fps, and are still flying true at 200 yards, it just seems 2K is too much for the alloy I'm casting with, will try adding some linotype. Thanks for the interest and the feedback.

Dave

Yeah it could be they are too soft. Back them down to 1800 or so. Most anything will shoot at that speed. Are you heat treating them at all? That can make quite a difference. What powder are you using?

No heat treating, just water dropping, I have tried RL-17, RL-22, IMR4198, IMR4320, and Ramshot Big Game. What works is either Unique, or 2400.

I'm assuming water dropped wheel weights which should be good to around 2000fps. What are you sizing them to?

I am sizing them to .377 which has worked good for the others, but maybe these need to be be bigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast