Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your range?

Default Whats your range?

I just recently picked up my new bow and I shooting good at 10 and 20 yards. Getting better at 30 yards but I am wondering what do you guys or gals shoot your bows at? Also when you hunt, bear is what I'm looking at for this up coming spring, what range do you normally want to get in? Or is it a personal preference. And is it even worth getting two more pins, I have a three pin sight, and shooting at 40 to 50 yards? Thanks for the info! Cheers!

Double your shooting distance, this will tighten your groups up a ton. I shoot out to 80, 90,100 to be accurate at a 50 yard shot. I missed at 60 yards this weekend, do not usually miss but this one pissed me off.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

If you only plan to use a bow for bears, over bait (assuming) then your best bet is to become proficient at 20 yards and less. Don't over complicate it by trying longer until you are 100% confident in your abilities otherwise you are going to spend a lot of time being frustrated.

I shoot out to 60yds with my lady's bow (bowtech heartbreaker); though I've been practicing archery for over 10yrs now (still a young punk). My effective range would be about 50 yds. I harvested my caribou this year at 45yds, which is the farthest shot I've taken to date. I agree with Texxan, about longer distances will tighten your groups; however, if your 30yd groups are a little erratic, going too far too fast will result in a loss of arrows. This is frustrating and can become an expensive proposition, if you use high end arrows. If your new to the sport, work your way out first, then as you develop muscle tone and memory, you can push your limits of distance.

Have fun flinging arrows out there!
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

I max out at 40 yards. Up to 30 is my optimal, desired range, but am confident out to 40 if it is needed. Really, have never needed more than about 20-25 max for the three moose I have gotten and unless I was good out to 80 yards, the 30-40 range max has not cost me an opportunity at an animal. Any of them within 100 yards has been within 20-30 (never had one walking around at 60 yards that I had to pass on). I've never hunted bears, so can't help you there.

What type of bow?. My 10yr old bowtech shoots the same spot from 10-30yds. Two things I'll add, shoot at a dot, not a paper plate(aim small, miss small) and make sure you figure what uphill, downhill or from a stand will do to an arrow and if you can even pull your bow back from a sitting, kneeling or treestand position. When I was young I practiced at 80 yds became proficient and then stumbled on the largest buck I've seen in my life at 40 yds down a steep grade and had no Idea what to compensate, he walked away before settling down. Do some testing at 40-50 yds to see. If you shoot at 40 and have one hold up at 50 it's good to know what to think ahead of time

25 yards for me. 30 if I've been shooting well...of course I shoot a longbow. Anything inside 20 is going to die.

Most of my training is at around 30 yards, but I do practice much longer shots too. I like to be within 20-30 yards before I let an arrow go at an animal. I have hit moose at over 80 yards with follow up shots. I have taken 17 bull moose plus many other animals with my bow including bear. The longest shot I have taken at a moose for the 1st shot was 45 yards, later checked with a range finder. He was a fork horn, and standing perfectly still, as was I. I have nailed several at 10 yards. They don't go far when you send a 4 blade broadhead all the way through the sweet spot.
    That said, I wish more bow hunters had the opportunity to spend some time tracking with some one who has done a fair amount of it. I was lucky to be tutored by my dad and uncles hunting elk in Wa. state. I learned a lot from them. Patience is very important.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Depending on the animal. Deer = 40 yards no problem. Bear no problem at that range to. Moose and elk - 50-60. But I have also been shooting for 54 years. Have a 60 yard range in the yard with 80 if I want to stretch it. Two deer targets, one bear, 2 broad-head and one field point target.

Usually I practice at 30 and 40 all the time. Very seldom shoot at 20. Practicing at longer distances really helps produce better shooting. Practicing in the clothes that you are going to hunt is best too. Shoot when it is cold, rainy, windy..... make it real.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Confident and comfortable to 40. Took a bear at 42 and ptarmigan at 40 on the same trip. Not being able to shoot further has cost me a couple missed opportunities on caribou. I also have a 12 year old bow that wasn't fast or flat shooting when it was new. I burn up all of my pins when I get out to 40 yards. One day I'll upgrade. Meanwhile I'll practice stalking in close.

How many tries to get that ptarmigan?

I got into a covey of grouse a couple years ago with my bow. When some of them flew up into a tree, I lined up on one with the tree as a back stop. The rubber blunt went all the way through, bounced off the tree and landed back near my feet. I picked it up and nailed another one with it. Shooting at birds with your arrows that aren't good enough for game is good practice.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

First shot on the ptarmigan. Took another at 34 first try too on the same trip.

I like a three pin sight, less confusion when that shot you worked so hard for finally presents itself. my pins are set at 20, 30, and 40 yards. With practice, you can shoot 50 plus with holdover and confidence. Get really good out to 20 yards first, dont try to move out further until you are ready. I was a long range rifle shooter long before I picked up a bow so I wanted distance fast. Practice, practice, practice! Muscle memory is key for accurately shooting a bow. Have fun! I killed a nice Mo whitetail at 47 yds a couple years ago and because I have practiced at 50 so many times I had no doubt when the time came to let it fly.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Good information guys! Thank you so much! Went and shot today and I'm feeling pretty good at 20 yards. Lost one arrow today shooting at 30 but the rest of my shots where decent but to much torquing on my half:/ Like everyone says practice practice practice! I think my bow is set around 55 or 60 lbs. My buddy is telling me to crank it up to 65 because in his eyes I'm looking pretty solid on pulling back what I got right now. What do you guys think? I know 55-60 lbs will kill anything up here but could this also increase my accuracy since the arrow "should" be traveling faster?

When I first got serious about archery hunting 16+ years ago I thought more pounds was better. On one occasion I snuck to within 20 yards of a bedded muley buck. The cover was so thick I couldn't get any closer and I figured I'd just stand there and wait for him to stand. And stand I did. An hour passed I was getting chilled a bit and wouldn't you know it, he stirred a bit and stood up. I was pulling 72 lbs. I couldn't get that string drawn. The adrenaline rush was gone and I was tuckered and cold. I finally got it drawn and failed to notice the only twig between he and I. The arrow hit it and deflected over him. He took off. I've since tuned my draw weight down to about 53. I can draw that all day cold or whatever without worry. I've had 15 of 16 arrows pass clear through the animals I've shot with set there. Only one that didn't go through was lodged deep in the far shoulder blade of a P&Y grizzly bear. I have no intention of turning up my poundage. May as well shoot comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    Good information guys! Thank you so much! Went and shot today and I'm feeling pretty good at 20 yards. Lost one arrow today shooting at 30 but the rest of my shots where decent but to much torquing on my half:/ Like everyone says practice practice practice! I think my bow is set around 55 or 60 lbs. My buddy is telling me to crank it up to 65 because in his eyes I'm looking pretty solid on pulling back what I got right now. What do you guys think? I know 55-60 lbs will kill anything up here but could this also increase my accuracy since the arrow "should" be traveling faster?
    Increasing the draw weight won't increase your accuracy. You accuracy is based on where you are aiming at. If you aim at the same point every time and shoot the same way every time, you should hit the same spot every time (for the most part). Increasing the draw weight will likely flatten out the trajectory of the arrow, so the change you will see is that there would be less difference between where you hit between a 20 yard shot and a 30 yard shot for example when aiming at the some spot (your 20 yard pin would be closer to your 30 yard pin at a higher draw weight).

A big thing about practicing is to make sure to practice shooting correctly EVERY TIME. Don't fall into the trap of thinking more is better. If you shoot too many times and don't focus on proper technique, you can get sloppy and bad habits slip in. You will do more harm than good. When I shoot, I may only shoot 15 to 20 times. Realize you only need to shoot once or twice when out in the field, so you don't need to be able to draw the bow back 100 times a day, just need to make sure to draw it back properly a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Increasing the draw weight won't increase your accuracy. You accuracy is based on where you are aiming at. If you aim at the same point every time and shoot the same way every time, you should hit the same spot every time (for the most part). Increasing the draw weight will likely flatten out the trajectory of the arrow, so the change you will see is that there would be less difference between where you hit between a 20 yard shot and a 30 yard shot for example when aiming at the some spot (your 20 yard pin would be closer to your 30 yard pin at a higher draw weight).

Right on. That's I wanted to hear! Personally i want to keep my draw in the range I have right now not only because I like it but it feels right!

A big thing about practicing is to make sure to practice shooting correctly EVERY TIME. Don't fall into the trap of thinking more is better. If you shoot too many times and don't focus on proper technique, you can get sloppy and bad habits slip in. You will do more harm than good. When I shoot, I may only shoot 15 to 20 times. Realize you only need to shoot once or twice when out in the field, so you don't need to be able to draw the bow back 100 times a day, just need to make sure to draw it back properly a few times.
    Right on! That's what I wanted hear! I feel good shooting with my draw weight I have right now not only because I'm pretty much lethal at 20-25 yards but it feels right! Plus as of right now 20 yards is where I'm looking at shooting my target at (black bear), but I will do the practice of aim small hit small. I'll keep practicing at 30ish yards!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post

All good advice. Secondly you should work on grouping and set your goals for 1 inch intervals per 10 yards. So basically at 30 yards, you should be grouping 3 inches. Be consistent. "Decent" is not good enough for hunting. Consistent grouping will give you confidence and will give you motivation to challenge yourself for even greater accuracy.

As for your torquing problem, you can try taking your hand grips off your riser and shooting without or using skinnier ones. The larger the grip, the more you will torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Thanks for the torque advise. I will have to try this! Also since I'm NOT consistent at 30 yards with 3 inch grouping, should I stick with 20 yards where I know I'm consistent at with anywhere from 2-3 inch groups or should I keep practicing at 30 yards at get better with that? I personally think 30 yards because if I shoot a 3 inch group of 3 at 30 yards I should easily shoot at 2 inch group of 3 at 20 yards. Right?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast