Thread: .270WSM Lee dies - am I missing something?

Default .270WSM Lee dies - am I missing something?

When I bought the dies for my 30.06, I got a Bullet seating die, Full length sizing die, and also a Collet die for sizing the neck as seen here http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...=30.06+lee+die.

I am buying a set of dies for my .270WSM, but it seems it only comes with a Full Length Sizing die, and a Bullet seating die, no Collet die as seen here. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...=30.06+lee+die

Am I missing something here? Do I need the collet die for the .270WSM? I have only reloaded for my .44 mag, never for my rifles yet as I still have a fair amount of factory ammo on my shelf for them; saving up lots of brass though.

My guess would be because the 06 is often used in semi autos, which would need a crimp to keep the bullet in place during recoil and rapid fire. The

270WSM is mainly a bolt action fed round.

Just my SWAG.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Collett dies are optional.

It is a special kind of Neck sizing die. Normal sizing is done with a FL die. Use one or the other.

No, you don't need it. And, they may not make one for the 270 WSM.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

OR, are you talking about a Lee Factory Crimp Die??

Those crimp as a separate operation. Crimping is optional and can usually be done with a FL die.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Lee does different sets. I don't recall what they call them to differentiate, I think one set is called a Pacesetter?? In any case, you can get a two die set or 2 different three die sets. One comes with FL sizer, bullet seater, and the neck collet die. The other comes with FL sizer, bullet seater and FCD.
    Ryan

The Lee "deluxe" sets are (as I understand it) are a collet neck sizing die. They come with a bullet seating die in a 2-die set and in 3-die sets with a full length sizing die. They are not intended to be crimped but seated long, on or close to the lands. {[No they don't make a 3 die deluxe set in 270WSM]}

They seem to intend you use the FL die only to knock out the primers, you would then neck size them with the collet die. That is the prep then you prime/charge and seat a bullet with the seating die . . . all done then, no crimp.

Lee normal rifle dies (red box) sets are;
    2-die=one FL and one bullet seating.
    3-die=adds a Factory Crimp Die
    4-die=usually adds a trim die but sometimes a micrometer seating die or something.

No you don't need the deluxe yellow box set, you can load great ammo with the red box 2-die set. You can (and mostly should) neck size with them by adjusting them up so they just kiss the shoulder. They won't be quite as concentric as those done with the deluxe die but I bet you and your rifle cant shoot well enough to see the tiny difference on the target. I love Lee dies and when getting dies I always order the red box 3-die set so I have the factory crimp die if I need it and I can use it or not. Lee makes almost as good a die as Redding (better than RCBS) and for great prices, some of the other stuff is junk but Lee dies are great.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

ya they dont' seem to make that in 270 wsm. My .300 is a 4 die which is full length sizing, neck sizing, crimp die and bullet seater

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They seem to intend you use the FL die only to knock out the primers, you would then neck size them with the collet die.
    My Lee Collet Die has a Decapper. It came with a seater die, and is a 2 die set.

I don't recommend the Lee Collet sizing die. It wouldn't size the neck enough to hold jacketed bullets tight. ( Lee said it was because my brass was OLD.) (Not springy enough, I suppose. ) Baloney. It just doesn't size enough.

It was necessary to send it back to lee, and let them take .001 off the mandrel. That was the Maximum allowed according to them.

I much prefer a regular NECK ONLY sizing die. The only advantage then, is that you don't hafta lube with the Collet die, and that's not a biggy IMO.

I like the Lee Factory Crimp die a lot, though. IIRC, there are 3 different designs for different applications. I've used the Rifle FCD, and the Revolver FCD, but not the FCD that Taper Crimps.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.