Thread: Pack choice

Default Pack choice

Hello all.

I'm looking at a pack for a sheep hunt and similar adventures. I'm 6'5", kinda broad at the shoulder and thick in the head.

My question is directed more at guys of similar build.

Out of a Barneys, EXO and KUIU - do any of them fit a longer torso/broader shoulder build better?

Open to other suggustions.

I have a Sitka Bivy 45, but I don't know that it's big enough for the likes of a sheep hunt.

Regards
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Kifaru. As long as you have no lower back shape issues such as a severe flat lumbar area, then a Kifaru bikini frame and one of their High camp bags or other similar bag like the EMR would be fine. For a sheep hunt its about the weight of all the gear and then will the pack support all that weight and the weight of a sheep comfortably. These packs can fit pretty much anyone from 5 foot tall to 6'8". Width only needs to be at least 14 inches. Wider will not matter. If your upper back has a significant roll forward you will want the aluminium stays and not the lighter carbon ones, which are not adjustable to back curves.

Stone Glacier. With a couple of options for a different thickness of lumbar pads this pack system is reported to be one of the most comfortable for large loads. Its really light and pretty much sheep hunter specific design by a sheep hunter. The designer is pretty tall and wide across the shoulders.

Paradox. Sold by Seek Outside and is basically a flexible frame system with a large bag attached very similar in function to the Stone Glacier. Also extremely light and can carry heavy loads. It is not a lumbar belt system and I find it very comfortable for my needs and back shape.

For highly detailed sheep pack discussions I recommend heading to the Rokslide forums.

I'm 6'2" and my brothers are all taller than me. We have always used Kelty packs. They are very adjustable, and will never give up under a heavy load.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have both the Exo 5500 and the Barney's pack. I'm no where near your size so I can't really comment on how well these packs fit a larger guys. I will throw in that of the packs you mention, the Barney's pack is the only one that will allow you adjust the width of the shoulder straps. If you think that the strap width is going to be an issue, Barney's may be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies. I am now officially certifiable after sifting the all the info on packs and not really any further in front.

I was told that some transporters won't let you put an exterenal frame pack in a Cub or the like. Good thing is I have plenty of time to decide.
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Quote Originally Posted by ozhunter View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am now officially certifiable after sifting the all the info on packs and not really any further in front.

I was told that some transporters won't let you put an exterenal frame pack in a Cub or the like. Good thing is I have plenty of time to decide.

No idea where you got that information, but I would say that the vast majority of pack transported by supercubs in Alaska over the last 50 years have been external frame. They fit behind the seat just fine, and I've even flown with them strapped to the struts.

I've got both the Barneys and Stone Glacier, and like them both a lot. I'd say there is a good chance both of them are going to run out of shoulder lift at 6' 5", but for what it's worth the Barneys frame is considerably taller (31" vs 26" of most other packs), and you might be able to attach the load lifters up one bar (with a little customization) to get a little better angle.

Barneys frame on the left, SG on the right.

Yk