Thread: Hunter kills 2 brown bears after man mauled near Kodiak

Default Hunter kills 2 brown bears after man mauled near Kodiak

The comments by the bear huggers are ridiculous.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

It's sad the ignorance. Poor Mary.

Here is a more detailed account, including interviews. If you want to hear it, follow the link. If not, here's the text:

A 65-year-old deer hunter was injured and needed a medevac after he was attacked by a sow bear on Sally Island Tuesday afternoon. 68-year-old Sitka resident Michael Snowden suffered injuries to his legs. His hunting partner, Jeff Ostrin age 38, of Camas, Washington, was not injured.
    Initial reports indicated it may have been a group, or a “sloth,” of bears, but according to Kodiak Fish and Game biologist Nate Svoboda it was a sow bear with two older cubs involved in the attack.
    “They were carrying the deer out, actually dragging the deer out down to the beach to be picked up. And the stopped to take a quick break for lunch and at that point they heard a bear rustling in the brush. They reached over, grabbed their rifles and moments later a bear charged through the brush and jumped on the survivor and continued to thrash around with him," Svoboda said. "The witness, obviously startled, backed up a few feet, took aim at the bear and waited until he had a clear shot.”
    At that point one of the cubs came out of the brush and was also shot by Ostrin. The second cub is expected to survive the death of its mother.
    Larry Van Daele, the regional Fish and Game supervisor and noted bear expert, said the bears smelled the dead deer from afar and came looking for a meal.
    “The bears winded the deer from several hundred yards away. The skipper of the boat actually watched that from a distance," Van Dael said. "And, like I say, these guys were in a real brushy area. They're dragging a deer right behind them, a when the bears winded the deer, they started coming, in that direction, following that scent."
    The initial report said the attack was by five bears, which Van Daele says is highly unusual for the normally solitary animals.
    “Yeah, that'd pretty much have to be a sow with four cubs. Big cubs," he said. "Which we've only seen once or twice in my career to keep that many cubs that long.”
    The men had 30.06 rifles on their deer hunt, which Van Daele says is a suitable caliber for bear protection. He added that they did a lot of things right to avoid tragedy.
    “They were hunting as partners; that's something we always recommend. Because they were hunting as partners, this turned into a mauling instead of someone being killed probably – either from the bears attacking him or loss of blood. So they did the right things there," Van Daele said. "There's always arm-chair quarterbacking; we would prefer people not drag deer out of the field, that they put it in pack and carry it out as soon as possible. And we also prefer people to tend to stay in open areas. Which, of course, isn't always possible in Kodiak.”
    Van Daele said Ostrin is a hero in the situation, having tended to his hunting partner's wounds, killing the bears and getting help.
    Sally Island is about 30 miles east of Kodiak City in Uganik Bay.

I know Sally Island well, and in areas it's brushier than brushy. It's also been the site of past attacks.

That scenario isn't totally unusual. About 5 years back a friend had the same thing happen on the Kodiak road system, though thankfully no human blood was shed.

Wow scary deal, this ought to add some interesting "dialogue" to the "chambered gun" poll!

Seems I read KodiakCombo just reported watching a bear follow some of his deer hunters or something along those lines. I've always been surprised the deer hunters don't have more bear trouble, maybe I just don't hear about it. I'm going to have to go find out for myself!

Glad to hear the fellas turned out ok!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Wow scary deal, this ought to add some interesting "dialogue" to the "chambered gun" poll!
    Figured it wouldn't take long for someone to connect these two threads. In this case, sounds like they had plenty of time to chamber a round, but that is only based on the text provided above. Hard to say for sure without being there myself. It would be interesting to hear their take on the subject. Did they have one chambered? If not, do they think it cost them any time to chamber a round?

Personally, there is a good chance I would have had one chambered in this situation and/or had my revolver ready at hand, being that I was a walking bait station and in heavy bear territory and dense brush.

im seeing a trend in the dragging. I was in Kodiak last week and my buddy was dragging two spikes down the hill and ended up giving one away, in the exact same spot the week before two guys had to leave a deer they were dragging even after some warning shots.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Figured it wouldn't take long for someone to connect these two threads. In this case, sounds like they had plenty of time to chamber a round, but that is only based on the text provided above. Hard to say for sure without being there myself. It would be interesting to hear their take on the subject. Did they have one chambered? If not, do they think it cost them any time to chamber a round?

Personally, there is a good chance I would have had one chambered in this situation and/or had my revolver ready at hand, being that I was a walking bait station and in heavy bear territory and dense brush.
    God help us, you've linked it to the handgun for bears threads now too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrchambers View Post
    im seeing a trend in the dragging. I was in Kodiak last week and my buddy was dragging two spikes down the hill and ended up giving one away, in the exact same spot the week before two guys had to leave a deer they were dragging even after some warning shots.
    Ive never had the chance to hunt there, is the thinking that dragging spreads more scent?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    ...and waited until he had a clear shot.”
    That impressed me more than anything else in the story. Ostrin has a cool head and certainly is a hero. I'd welcome him as a hunting pardner any time, any place.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That impressed me more than anything else in the story. Ostrin has a cool head and certainly is a hero. I'd welcome him as a hunting pardner any time, any place.
    Absolutely, that must have felt like forever!

Ive never had the chance to hunt there, is the thinking that dragging spreads more scent?
    That's what I would think. Instead of just leaving some smell in the air (when packing the animal/meat) that blows away in the wind, dragging leaves actual scent source on the ground that stays there and creates a physical trail to follow. I would think you would be a much smaller "target" if the source of the scent was just where you physically were and a little in the air versus a trail a mile long that has blood/hair spread across it giving off scent long after you have gone by.

Chum lines work for fur as well as fins.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Chum lines work for fur as well as fins.....
    Well said Hippie. Now that is a hunting partner for sure!!!

Nice work to the Coast Guard crew from Kodiak. Just a phone call away.

Quote Originally Posted by CtP View Post
    Nice work to the Coast Guard crew from Kodiak. Just a phone call away.
    Always.......
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Another article in the ADN about this today, decent read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2014/...NTYxNDQyNDY4S0

Here's another article with more information.