Thread: 2015 Moose hunt secret spot

Default 2015 Moose hunt secret spot

Hey Alaskans,I'm in the process of putting together a moose hunt for this coming fall as I'm one of those obsessive planner types. There will be three of us. Myself, my wife, and a non-res friend of ours from WA. We've all hunted a bunch and most of our experience is mountain style/spot and stalk backpack hunting (sheep, elk, caribou, high country mule deer). I have a 16' Aire self-bailer with frame so we've tossed around a float hunt but the time and cost is somewhat prohibitive. I've spoken with a few Air Transporters out of Tok and have a few locations in mind but was wondering what the ya'll thought about it. I'd like to keep the hunt to around 7 days give or take and that's why I'm leaning away from the float hunt. I'd also rather not have to put up and tear down camp everyday. Is a float hunt going to give us that much more of an experience/increase for success? I get that having the raft to carry the load is nice but between the three of us packing to the lakeside isn't too terrible of a situation. Also the cost associated with transporting the raft and gear would be more so I'm trying to weigh the advantage to the cost. I have Mike S's float hunting book and have read it a few times so I'm all learned up as far as what to expect on such and such river but I respect the opinions of many on this forum so advice is appreciated. I'd like to put in for draw hunts ASAP and my friend understands that the plan could change depending on drawing results (come on 14c sheep tag). Thanks in advance!

Everyone knows the best moose hunting is in unit 15

Release Lake Trout

When I think about the difference between A: floating a river you don't know and B: getting dropped off in an area you don't know. The human psyche would probably be best appeased by getting dropped off. If one was on the river you do not have to break camp every day IF you know where you want to hunt. Just winging it will end up being more of a luck situation than strategic hunting (unless someone gives you the secret spot to stop) and you will probably lightly hunt a lot of territory instead of pounding a likely spot and letting your calling and observations guide the hunt.

So, with a drop off, you can only go as far as your feet take you, forcing you to maximize your efforts within that radius. To me, hunting in one spot (as long as there's something there) is the way to go. Calling morning noon and night, even from camp, will bring the boys running.....albeit not always right away. We often get set up, go hoarse cow calling around the campfire, getting up early and working our prospective spots....repeat. Somehow year after year about day three (or day one if there is one already there and ready) the bulls start showing up, and we've often had last day of season success right behind camp.....like shooting it in your jammies kind of behind camp.

That said, if on the float you committed to three likely areas and gave each one three days, you will have given it enough time for both luck and persistence to pay off. All of this takes a bunch of discipline if one is not seeing animals. For reference, in 8 years of hunting moose I have tagged 5 bulls and my partner took another......I have only seen 11 (and four were the first year) during the season, and we are pretty much the "see a moose, shoot a moose" kind of camp. Not lots of em but we pound areas that we know are good. IT's fun to bop around and cover lots of territory but from my experience, focusing on a smaller area pays higher dividends than running and gunning.

My .02 and worth less than what you paid for it. But, for where I hunt (Bristol Bay) this is what works best for us.

Bigskyguy,

IMO floating would give you the best results. I haven't been on very many float hunts but I did feel like I covered way more ground, and it gave me me the opportunity to learn more about Alaska in the process. As for boats your best bet is to chose the best boat for the water you will be floating. I found the guys at Alaska raft and kayak to very helpful. They helped me chose the boat I needed for the river of my choosing. IMO only. Hope you have a successful hunt!

Look at it this way...... I've only done a short float hunt and we weren't successful. On the other hand when I was guiding we were always dropped off on a lake/pond. Other than the one bow hunter I guided that never stalked an animal and ended up spooking the bulls I called in for him, I was 100% on moose, caribou, sheep and brown bear.

I my opinion, for what it's worth, float hunting seems to be a lot of extra work.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Talking

I always hunt Dumb Arss Lake. Its a winner!!

Talking Dumb Arss lake coordinates

Thanks Gulkana I found the "lake" but it looks to have dried up a little. 5818'7.29"N 13424'38.82"W To all the others offering advice I appreciate it. Our group has decided to do a drop hunt instead of a float. Less logistical bs and less time setting up and tearing down camp. Not to mention about $1500.00 less. That kind of savings will put a lot of Halibut in the freezer.

Instead of spending all that money why don't you do some home work and do a float hunt. I know of two difference rivers along the road system where you can access the river, float for a day, set up camp and hunt hills and swamps for moose as long as you want, break camp and float for another day to get back to where you left a 2nd vehicle. If you had a snowmobile you could check the area out in the winter. Once you found the area let me know and I will tell you what I know about it.

I like the coords big sky