Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sportjet stator repair

Default sportjet stator repair

Ok, my stator has seen better days, the veins are worn well past the magic 1/4" mark, not to mention a few of them have large chuncks broken out of them. I figure I could send it in and get a SS insert or take it somewhere to get welded up or I could weld it up myself and see what happens.
    Ran a few beads on three of the veins only to keep the heat down, then ground down to specs with die grinder, (have not sanded or polished yet) looks like it will work to me but my question is:
    Has anyone one done this and what were the results. Any tips?

Thanks
    Mike

I would think that you would want to make sure that you have all veins exactly the same or it could effect performance .

Thanks, I am building them up pretty heavy then grinding them down to match original profile, so far I have one side (top) done and need to finish grinding the other side. Of course the inside is the hardest to match the profile, and making sure they don't extend past the mating surface for the liner I think will be the tricky part. They were worn down a lot farther than I originally thought once I got to working on them.
    I will post some pics sometime this weekend.
    Mike

Here is the outside after build up and grinding, no polishing yet, pretty easy to see how far down it was worn. If this don't work, it will be off to Exwelding for a SS insert.
    IMGP0533.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more of the outside and one of the inside before grinding and shaping.
    A lot of grinding and shaping yet, but I got all winter.

The hub part on picture no#2 sure looks like it is very rough, if that is the case you should buff down the inside of the stator and smooth up all of the internal surface as it will improve the performance .

Thanks, the entire inside is very rough, but I think most of that is splatter from the welding. I plan on smoothing and polishing the entire inside, just have not figured out how yet. haha
    I did look at some buffing puff ball things that I think would fit down through there once I get it sanded smooth.
    I sure appreciate the extra eyes!
    Mike

Check these out HCL, I use them for porting intakes or heads. Amazon has them for free shipping and I think you can get them at fastenall also. They work great in the die grinder and then a dremel for the finer polishing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sa...p30aAsfP8P8HAQ

f0zzy2---Thank you, that might be just the ticket!

Did a little more work, it is coming along. Inside is not as bad to shape as I thought it would be, just slow going.

In my opinion weld repairs are not the answer if your passing a lot of gravel through stator vains. A SS vain insert installed into a stator that has damaged vains will be way more durable then soft aluminum filler alloy.

Claude:
    Damaged stator:
    SS insert:

Claude, if my repairs dont work out, i will dang sure be calling you to get a SS insert put in!

How do keep the SS liner from twisting or moving inside the Stator?

Quote Originally Posted by Exactboats View Post
    In my opinion weld repairs are not the answer if your passing a lot of gravel through stator vains. A SS vain insert installed into a stator that has damaged vains will be way more durable then soft aluminum filler alloy.

Claude:
    Damaged stator:
    SS insert:

The ss insert vains have a small shoulder that overlap and rest against the aluminum vains. Retaining loctite and 3 small button head socket cap screws tapped through the housing and insert retain in place.

Claude:

Well, had planned on putting the boat back together Sat morning so Friday night I finished the grinding and absolutly forgot to take and pictures before i put the pump back together Sat morning..
    So I will let yall know how the repair holds, i will take the pump apart mid season and take a look and post some pictures of the amount of wear. I suspect it will be more wear than normal but time will tell.
    I still see a SS insert in my future.
    Mike

Claude,

I was looking at my Kodiak 770 stators the other day and was wondering if the veins are all a single unit with the stator or are they pressed in separate and replaceable like the sport jet stators. Mine are getting chewed up and was wondering if i need to replace the whole stator housing with stainless steel ones or if i can just get the ss veins.

thanks in advance
    - Dan

Hcl
    Your repair looks fine, May not be as tough as stainless inserts but it will work as good as new, a lot cheaper too

HCL, should be good. I like Claude's milled insert if it doesnt work out, but there is also a company that has some stainless clips they put over the leading edge. I'm pretty sure its spendy though, but an option none the less.

Danny, FloPro makes some inserts. You have to mill the stator out and press in the whole insert. Claude should be able to get those too since he's a distributor...they're kind of spendy though...

09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

I figured the olds needed milled out

You can get the whole stator section with the SS insert as well.
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast