Thread: Eel Fishing On The Yukon River

Default Eel Fishing On The Yukon River

We have a small subsistence and commercial Lamprey eel fishery here on the lower Yukon we get $1.50 a lb they are the same ones you get smoked in the sushi bars and sushi section at safeway.

That's pretty cool Jeff.
    What time of year?
    Seems to be a really good run of em.

That's cool! Do you sell them overseas?

Thanks guys

It was a good run this year some years we miss them this was filmed just a couple days ago.

We sell them to the local salmon buyer Kwikpak Fisheries they did a great job even picked them up right off the ice not sure where the market is possibly Korea is what I heard.

I think one of the big markets is Spain and Portugal. Lamprey are a big deal in Portugal, there are social clubs that exist simply for the members to acquire and consume lamprey, which are a great delicacy. Lamprey are not the same as unagi (freshwater eel) or unago (saltwater/Congor eel) that are served as sushi.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

35+ years ago I would make a yearly trip to Lake Huron to fish Kings. The first few years the fishing was very good. Then it slowed down a bunch. A lot of the Kings that we would catch would have a Lampery stuck to it and the fish would be in bad shape. The Lampery's finally killed the King Fishing. They said that the Lamperys got into the Great Lake from the ocean going ships. They wanted all the Lamperys that were caught, killed and DNR would give you a lure for every one you turned in. I sure got a lot of lures. The Lampery that we caught were not near as big as the ones in the vedio so not sure if they were the same type or not. Never did hear if the King fishing ever came back as good as it was in the late 70's to early 80's. Wonder if these Lampery cause problems with the Kings in the Yukon like they did in Lake Huron?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

The kings and the lamprey aren't in the Yukon at the same time, so any interaction would have to be at sea. I have no idea how far lamprey roam from their river of origin.
    Interestingly, a move was made to market Great Lakes lamprey in Europe, and though they did compare favorably with the local Spanish product they were so high in mercury they were not fit for food by European standards.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjeff View Post
    We have a small subsistence and commercial Lamprey eel fishery here on the lower Yukon we get $1.50 a lb they are the same ones you get smoked in the sushi bars and sushi section at safeway.

I just hope the river is safe enough up here. We took out students out last year. I hope we will take them out again this year.

I caught one last year while bait fishn silvers on sheep Creek mouth. It was 19" long and about. 5" diameter. I saved it for burbot bait. I've seen em by the thousands swimming and gathering in the little creek between north and south friend lake in sunshine jct. near the talkeetna cutoff Tesoro. I mean they were swimming dry. And in the outlet, big rainbows were lurking and feasting. I've gutted susitna river burbot that were flat stuffed with em. This was during king season on the su. Mid June.

Release Lake Trout

Very interesting observations from around the state I figured there had to be some in other rivers as well and thanks Dave I thought these taste almost identical to the ones I have eaten is sushi bars I guess a eel is a eel taste wise these are very oily and rich.

All those sucker marks on the salmon are from these eels I imagine they can kill a smaller fish.

our Yukon chums and kings have a lot of eel hickies.

I have a net under the ice now and the burbot will be gorged on these eels some still have the tails sticking out of their mouth and they do make great burbot bait cut into chunks on a hook line.

Wow, that's a great video. Very interesting.

Years ago my uncle and I were fishing late one night on the Kenai in Saldotna for Reds. My uncle accidentally foul hooked a 2 1/2 foot Lamprey. He had no idea what it was but it freaked him out lol. I knew what it was because we use to catch baby ones at the bridge over Fish Creek in Biglake when we were kids.

Keep in mind the ones we have in Alaska are Pacific Lamprey, the ones in the great lakes are Atlantic Lamprey which are a different breed of Lamprey and are smaller than Pacific Lamprey I believe. Also the lamprey we have here are native to the area, the ones in the great lakes are not. it wasnt until they built the Great lakes water way that Lamprey were able to make it in great numbers to the great lakes which had never seen great numbers of Lamprey before. So don't freak out over Lamprey being in our lakes and creeks.

Everything you ever wanted to know about lamprey species in Alaska: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...s/lampreys.pdf
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Everything you ever wanted to know about lamprey species in Alaska: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...s/lampreys.pdf
    I was going to mention there were five species in Ak, but Danner beat me to the punch. Thanks for the link
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

5?! O wow, learn something new every day then